UKCAT Advice? Watch

hollyisobel
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi, I'm looking at starting prep for the UKCAT this summer, I just wanted to know if UKCAT courses were good or a waste of money? Also, is medify worth getting?

Have you any advice on which books are best for practice, I already know the 1250 questions book is meant to be pretty good?

Thanks for the help!
Stanspam
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Definitely purchase Medify, if you can. It's the only course that I would absolutely recommend to achieve a good score.

1250 UKCAT questions is good, but the =questions in the book aren't representative of the difficulty of the actual exam. The book is a lot harder, so if you're finding you can't complete them within the time allocated, don't panic! However, it can give you a good confidence boost once you do your mocks, and realise how much easier you find it.

Also, Medic Portal has a great UKCAT question bank (for free!), which is worth also practising if you have time.
GrandMedic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
As said above Medify is <3

1250 book I barely touched. You don't need to spend money on anything else other than Medify. There are plenty of free resources online anyway including some practice tests on the official UKCAT website (leave this for the end).
Throwawa8
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I bought the book but quickly realised that in comparison to using the Medic Portal it was a waste of time. I probably sound like a sales rep for them but I absolutely adore them. Its completely free, it tracks how well you're doing, and Imo the best thing is how similar doing it is to the actual test.

I only revised from the Medic Portal, and managed to get an average of 745 which I think was pretty good.

Just do as much as you can every day and you'll be fine.
hollyisobel
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by Throwawa8)
I bought the book but quickly realised that in comparison to using the Medic Portal it was a waste of time. I probably sound like a sales rep for them but I absolutely adore them. Its completely free, it tracks how well you're doing, and Imo the best thing is how similar doing it is to the actual test.

I only revised from the Medic Portal, and managed to get an average of 745 which I think was pretty good.

Just do as much as you can every day and you'll be fine.
Thank you! Can I ask how long you prepared for?
depressionn't
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
What about BMAT? Because Medify hasn't released its resources for BMAT yet, right?
user43254314876
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Echoing recs of Medify for the UKCAT. I got the 1250Q book, but didn't use it that much in all honesty. Medify's online mini-tests and official section tests were handier in nailing down technique and were more representative of the final exam, IMO.

Like, I'd advise burning through all of Medify's question banks, mini-tests and mocks, then when it gets closer to the exam, do the same for official mocks to familiarise yourself properly with the format and type of questions.
GrandMedic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by sok.cho)
What about BMAT? Because Medify hasn't released its resources for BMAT yet, right?
For the BMAT the main thing you really need are the past papers on the BMAT official site. There's plenty as they go back 10+ years if I can remember right.

I used BMAT Ninja too. It was good in helping revision on some of the GCSE content (like the Physics) and the questions were decent too.
The Medic Portal
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by hollyisobel)
Hi, I'm looking at starting prep for the UKCAT this summer, I just wanted to know if UKCAT courses were good or a waste of money? Also, is medify worth getting?

Have you any advice on which books are best for practice, I already know the 1250 questions book is meant to be pretty good?

Thanks for the help!
Hi there,

We have plenty of resources to help with UKCAT!

Our UKCAT Guide has detailed information about all sections of the exam, plus preparation tips!

We also have a 100% free UKCAT Question Bank, which has thousands of questions and detailed performance tracking so you can measure your progress!

Hope this helps!
The Medic Portal
Throwawa8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I spent about 1 week casually revising for it, then 2 weeks intense revision. This allowed me to finish up all of the the medic portals question banks, and seemingly was enough. I know people who revised for like 2 months, but did it really spread out and didn't do very well. I think (from sample size of one) its better to do boat loads of revision in the weeks leading up to it rather than taking too long on it.
Royal Oak
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Throwawa8)
I spent about 1 week casually revising for it, then 2 weeks intense revision. This allowed me to finish up all of the the medic portals question banks, and seemingly was enough. I know people who revised for like 2 months, but did it really spread out and didn't do very well. I think (from sample size of one) its better to do boat loads of revision in the weeks leading up to it rather than taking too long on it.
What score did you get?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
Throwawa8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I got an average of 745, but a band 3 in SJT.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (30)
27.27%
No - I got the required grades (66)
60%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (14)
12.73%

Watched Threads