Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm looking at starting prep for the UKCAT this summer, I just wanted to know if UKCAT courses were good or a waste of money? Also, is medify worth getting?

Have you any advice on which books are best for practice, I already know the 1250 questions book is meant to be pretty good?

Thanks for the help!

ReputationRep:
    Definitely purchase Medify, if you can. It's the only course that I would absolutely recommend to achieve a good score.

1250 UKCAT questions is good, but the =questions in the book aren't representative of the difficulty of the actual exam. The book is a lot harder, so if you're finding you can't complete them within the time allocated, don't panic! However, it can give you a good confidence boost once you do your mocks, and realise how much easier you find it.

Also, Medic Portal has a great UKCAT question bank (for free!), which is worth also practising if you have time.

ReputationRep:
    As said above Medify is <3

1250 book I barely touched. You don't need to spend money on anything else other than Medify. There are plenty of free resources online anyway including some practice tests on the official UKCAT website (leave this for the end).

ReputationRep:
    I bought the book but quickly realised that in comparison to using the Medic Portal it was a waste of time. I probably sound like a sales rep for them but I absolutely adore them. Its completely free, it tracks how well you're doing, and Imo the best thing is how similar doing it is to the actual test.

I only revised from the Medic Portal, and managed to get an average of 745 which I think was pretty good.

Just do as much as you can every day and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Throwawa8)
    I bought the book but quickly realised that in comparison to using the Medic Portal it was a waste of time. I probably sound like a sales rep for them but I absolutely adore them. Its completely free, it tracks how well you're doing, and Imo the best thing is how similar doing it is to the actual test.

I only revised from the Medic Portal, and managed to get an average of 745 which I think was pretty good.

Just do as much as you can every day and you'll be fine.
    Thank you! Can I ask how long you prepared for?

ReputationRep:
    What about BMAT? Because Medify hasn't released its resources for BMAT yet, right?

ReputationRep:
    Echoing recs of Medify for the UKCAT. I got the 1250Q book, but didn't use it that much in all honesty. Medify's online mini-tests and official section tests were handier in nailing down technique and were more representative of the final exam, IMO.

Like, I'd advise burning through all of Medify's question banks, mini-tests and mocks, then when it gets closer to the exam, do the same for official mocks to familiarise yourself properly with the format and type of questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sok.cho)
    What about BMAT? Because Medify hasn't released its resources for BMAT yet, right?
    For the BMAT the main thing you really need are the past papers on the BMAT official site. There's plenty as they go back 10+ years if I can remember right.

I used BMAT Ninja too. It was good in helping revision on some of the GCSE content (like the Physics) and the questions were decent too.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by hollyisobel)
    Hi, I'm looking at starting prep for the UKCAT this summer, I just wanted to know if UKCAT courses were good or a waste of money? Also, is medify worth getting?

Have you any advice on which books are best for practice, I already know the 1250 questions book is meant to be pretty good?

Thanks for the help!
    Hi there,

We have plenty of resources to help with UKCAT!

Our UKCAT Guide has detailed information about all sections of the exam, plus preparation tips!

We also have a 100% free UKCAT Question Bank, which has thousands of questions and detailed performance tracking so you can measure your progress!

Hope this helps!
    The Medic Portal

ReputationRep:
    I spent about 1 week casually revising for it, then 2 weeks intense revision. This allowed me to finish up all of the the medic portals question banks, and seemingly was enough. I know people who revised for like 2 months, but did it really spread out and didn't do very well. I think (from sample size of one) its better to do boat loads of revision in the weeks leading up to it rather than taking too long on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Throwawa8)
    I spent about 1 week casually revising for it, then 2 weeks intense revision. This allowed me to finish up all of the the medic portals question banks, and seemingly was enough. I know people who revised for like 2 months, but did it really spread out and didn't do very well. I think (from sample size of one) its better to do boat loads of revision in the weeks leading up to it rather than taking too long on it.
    What score did you get?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    I got an average of 745, but a band 3 in SJT.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 2, 2018

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.