full service vs major service?

Watch this thread
tpxvs
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
i will admit i don't know much about cars and haven't ever had a service even though its been a few years since owning my brand new bought car. however in my defence, the mileage is very low (about 12,000 i think)

can someone please explain the differences between full and major service, there doesnt seem to be much difference going off the official halfords website comparison, so i dont understand why there is a £50 difference?

someone please shed some light, thanks
AtheClassicMan
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
There’s a checklist/comparison between the Three services- https://www.halfordsautocentres.com/...whats-included
tpxvs
Rep:
(Original post by AtheClassicMan)
There’s a checklist/comparison between the Three services- https://www.halfordsautocentres.com/...whats-included
thanks for the reply - that was what i mentioned earlier, when i said i cant see much of a difference between halfords full vs major service

also is there much of a difference going for a local independent place vs somewhere like halfords/ kwik-fit?
AtheClassicMan
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tpxvs)
thanks for the reply - that was what i mentioned earlier, when i said i cant see much of a difference between halfords full vs major service

also is there much of a difference going for a local independent place vs somewhere like halfords/ kwik-fit?
looks like there’s basically no difference between major and full apart from brake fluid and checking the alternator, I would just go for the Full tbh unless they offer you a sick deal on Major.

And most mechanics are slimy creatures but it has always been the general consensus to stay away from KwikFit as they’re normally incompetent or invent problems where they don’t actually exist just to squeeze some extra money out of you. Ask around or look online for a good independent garage as they’re usually more experienced and more honest than KwikFit.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tpxvs)
i will admit i don't know much about cars and haven't ever had a service even though its been a few years since owning my brand new bought car. however in my defence, the mileage is very low (about 12,000 i think)

can someone please explain the differences between full and major service, there doesnt seem to be much difference going off the official halfords website comparison, so i dont understand why there is a £50 difference?

someone please shed some light, thanks
Why on earth haven't you had it serviced? You've lost your warranty there.

The difference is the brake fluid change. If you're at the right interval, you should have this changed anyway.
tpxvs
Rep:
(Original post by IWMTom)
Why on earth haven't you had it serviced?
..because I have barely used it (lived in a uni city where its easier not to drive, so mostly only drove to and from home and while at home during uni holidays. but you're right i should still have had it serviced! I guess I wasn't really aware of it.. I just knew I had to do an annual MOT.

You've lost your warranty there.
what do you mean? how long does a warranty last anyway?

The difference is the brake fluid change. If you're at the right interval, you should have this changed anyway.
I have relatively regularly (probably yearly) checked the levels and topped whatever needs topping up.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tpxvs)
..because I have barely used it (lived in a uni city where its easier not to drive, so mostly only drove to and from home and while at home during uni holidays. but you're right i should still have had it serviced! I guess I wasn't really aware of it.. I just knew I had to do an annual MOT.
That's irrelevant... you're supposed to have it serviced following the manufacturer's intervals, which are based on mileage or time, whichever comes first. It's pretty common to be every 12k or 12 months, so you've missed a fair few!

(Original post by tpxvs)
what do you mean? how long does a warranty last anyway?
Depends on the manufacturer. To keep your warranty intact, you need to have it serviced following the manufacturer's recommendations as detailed above. If you don't, they'll happily reject your warranty claim.

Even past warranty expiry, there's goodwill involved if something goes wrong, but not if you haven't had it serviced! Terrible for resale value too...

(Original post by tpxvs)
i have relatively regularly (probably yearly) checked the levels and topped whatever needs topping up.
Doesn't matter; the brake fluid is hygroscopic - it absorbs water. It needs completely replacing at regular intervals to maintain the safety of your braking system.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (134)
66.34%
No (46)
22.77%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
10.89%

Watched Threads