The Student Room Group

Need some urgent advice

I didn't get my grade in gcse to do biology A level. I got a C in biology GCSE, a B in Chem, and a C in physics. I was predicted all As but in GCSE period I had a car accident that made me lack in concentration and I barely attended school. But the college I want to enrol in where the requirement is 3 Bs and 3 Cs which I have, just not the B in biology, said that it wouldn't be appropriate for me to do it, even with the circumstances I faced. What should I do, I'm doing BTEC extended diploma level 3 and I wanted to do biology A level with it, I know I can do it. I really know, I'm willing to put all the time and effort in. I know it's difficult, but this is the one time I really believe in myself and I know I can achieve it . What should I do? I'm going to schedule a meeting with the college and head of A level science. I'm also going to provide evidence of the accident and how it affected me. But I still think they will reject me
Reply 1
Original post by angelprincess80
I didn't get my grade in gcse to do biology A level. I got a C in biology GCSE, a B in Chem, and a C in physics. I was predicted all As but in GCSE period I had a car accident that made me lack in concentration and I barely attended school. But the college I want to enrol in where the requirement is 3 Bs and 3 Cs which I have, just not the B in biology, said that it wouldn't be appropriate for me to do it, even with the circumstances I faced. What should I do, I'm doing BTEC extended diploma level 3 and I wanted to do biology A level with it, I know I can do it. I really know, I'm willing to put all the time and effort in. I know it's difficult, but this is the one time I really believe in myself and I know I can achieve it . What should I do? I'm going to schedule a meeting with the college and head of A level science. I'm also going to provide evidence of the accident and how it affected me. But I still think they will reject me

You have to show them how bad you want to go to the college and how hard you will try and that the car accident had a toll on you psychologically as-well which made it hard for you to concentrate and that you could have done better. During my exam's I was going through literal hell but had no evidence of it but saw a counsellor during this time. I ****ed up my GCSE's and got 7 when I know I could have done better, but i begged to go to a college which required a lot more, I explained my situation and that I would try my absolute best and by reading this I know you want it and can do it and you've got to say this to the college. Just by reading this I can tell you are hard working and you just have to explain that to the college.
Hope it all goes well and you get it good luck x
Extenuating circumstances, depend's how truly bad the accident was. I know that sounds bad, but only just recently I saw someone denied his grades after being stabbed. Only, he didn't sit the exams so I guess they were just not allowing him to be given the grades for doing nothing despite being stabbed. I guess you'll need to show emotions on how it affected you. If you want to pursue something, do whatever you feel necessary. The world is thrives on people who chase what they want, the desire is what makes the success.
Thank you so much. I've been in college this year doing courses I don't like, English and history. I was forced to do because the teacher said I wouldn't be able to do science when I enrolled. I've got an offer to go do a different college and do BTEC applied science this September. But I want to do biology A level alongside it really badly. I've emailed the head of science A level to tell him all of this and about the accident, which I actually had two of, one in 2015 and one in 2016. By the time I took my GCSEs in 2017, I was depressed and wasn't in a lot of pain, and couldn't concentrate whatsoever. I was also bullied in high school throughout and I hated it so much. So many different factors had affected me in high school. Currently in college right now, I've not been going in, my attendance is 68% because I have to travel far and I'm in too much pain to travel and To concentrate and sit in lesson. I'm currently having physiotherapy and acupuncture and am on the road to recovery. The fact I might not be able to do biology A level and make something of myself and fulfil my dream is making me suicidally depressed even more. The new college I want to go to want to see the reports from the college I'm in at the moment, like attendance and my grades which are B in my English mock, D in psychology and U in history because I just didn't try at all. I had no interest in these subjects and were persuaded to do them by the teacher at enrolment. I've scheduled a meeting, but what do u even say? I'm going to the GP later to discuss my pains and my depression. I've contacts my solicitor for evidence of how the accidents have affected me, and even she thinks it's unfair that I was doing so well in high school up until I had the accidents. I was in set one for science all throughout high school. I really believe in myself, and I don't even know how considering I'm so depressed. These are the GCSE grades I managed to get:
Maths - 5
English language - 8
Art and design - A
Chemistry - B
French - B
Biology - C
Performing arts - B
English literature - B/6
ICT - B
Physics - C
Citizenship studies - B

I had to resit maths within a few months at the college I'm currently at in November. My high school taught maths poorly and the teacher was swapped a number of times. The teacher got bullied by the students most of the times in my class and the few of us who wanted to learn, couldn't. So we was not prepared at all. I really don't know what to do. If they want to see how I'm currently doing in college now, I'm not even attending and they definitely will not want to have me. I just need someone to give me a chance. One chance to prove I can do it.

Quick Reply

Latest