The Student Room Group

The clearing experience

Hi,

Was wondering as I may or may not miss my first choice uni by a couple of grades if going through clearing is necessarily a difficult alternative for still getting where I want? Preferably I want to get into a business or marketing course and preferably at my first choice uni which is Nottingham Trent. Will it be tough and will I have to be quick to snatch the course I want?

Also if anyone knows any other similar standard unis that may have spaces for these courses come results day please let me know.

Thanks
Original post by AdzFrainy
Hi,

Was wondering as I may or may not miss my first choice uni by a couple of grades if going through clearing is necessarily a difficult alternative for still getting where I want? Preferably I want to get into a business or marketing course and preferably at my first choice uni which is Nottingham Trent. Will it be tough and will I have to be quick to snatch the course I want?

Also if anyone knows any other similar standard unis that may have spaces for these courses come results day please let me know.

Thanks

If you miss your first choice, you may still be accepted into your insurance choice- if this is the case, you won't automatically be eligible for clearing. You would have to ask your insurance uni to release you- which could cause a delay and cause you to miss out on a place. If you're 100% sure you don't want to go to your insurance choice, then it's better to be released from them before results day.

If you've already been rejected from a uni for a course, you won't be able to get a place via clearing- they've already decided they don't want you.

Since the cap on student numbers was removed (maybe 2013/2014?), there have been lots of courses in clearing every year so you should be able to find something you like.

On results day, some unis will be desperate to get people through the door and may accept people with lower than advertised grades. Others may just go into clearing with the hope of picking up a few extra "good" students. Without insider knowledge of the uni, you won't know how many places they have or if they plan on giving them out first come first served, or if they're only going to give them out to a few candidates over the course of the day.

In general, it is a good idea to be quick off the mark, though- you'll need to be organised and ready early on on results day to ensure your best chance of getting the place you want.
Reply 2
Hi, thanks for the reply!

I made a few silly mistakes in picking my courses which means that my first and insurance choices have the same grade requirements, which means that surely if I miss the mark I will be rejected by both unless one or both are will to accept me with slightly lower grades?

Also I had been given offers by all 5 of the unis I had applied for

Adam
Original post by AdzFrainy
Hi, thanks for the reply!

I made a few silly mistakes in picking my courses which means that my first and insurance choices have the same grade requirements, which means that surely if I miss the mark I will be rejected by both unless one or both are will to accept me with slightly lower grades?

Also I had been given offers by all 5 of the unis I had applied for

Adam

Unis can and will accept people with slightly lower grades. On results day, it partly depends on how well everyone else with a place on that course has done. If your insurance choice is short on students, they may accept you, even if your firm doesn't. There's no standard cut off. Which is good if you'd be happy to go to your insurance choice, but not so good if you don't want to go there anymore!

If you'd be interested in going to another of your choices, it's always worth giving them a ring- but just because they've given you an offer in the past doesn't mean a uni has to or will give you a new offer in clearing.

Anyway, chances are you will do great in your exams and not need to use clearing at all!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending