Turn on thread page Beta

growing my hair? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i haven't had long hair since i was in year 10
    right now my hairs been growing a few weeks and it's just above chin length
    and i'm considering growing it again
    but i think it might get on my nerves because having short hair is so easy...i haven't brushed it in months!

how much maintanence and effort does long hair need?
    by long im talking like, just below my collar bones

ReputationRep:
    Eh, not that much. Mine's just about shoulder blade length, and it just requires... daily washing, xP.
    I straighten it occasionally, and that's the only time I'll brush it. If I want the wavy bits, then I don't bother. xD

It does get in your face though. That is a bit of a pain, but eh.
    Not much work, I don't think. Occasional trims and such.

ReputationRep:
    Do it. Long hair is better!

ReputationRep:
    I've been growing my hair for 2 years now and reaches halfway down my back now; having had both long hair and short hair at some time in my life, I can say there's not much difference. I can go through a day without brushing it- just get up and go! I don't even blow dry my hair-i let it dry naturally. Having said that though, my hair's naturally very straight so I guess it could be different if your hair's more wavy.
    One of the downsides though is that my hair can get a bit dry at the ends, and it can be a bit irritating when your hair's down and it's windy coz it just blows about everywhere.
    BUT- long hair is seen as more feminine and it's more versatile-it's also useful for when Im hiding a hangover!
    Overall, id say the pros outweigh the cons of long hair- and ill definitely never gona revert to having short hair again! So yes, don't worry about it being "high maintainance"
    hope this helps! x

ReputationRep:
    My hair is currently the longest it's ever been :eek: - halfway down my back. Am trying to grow it to just above my hips though.
    If I like it, I keep it. If I don't, I cut it, and never try and do something so stupid again lol.

It's worth having a go. You can always cut short hair in minutes, but it takes ages to grow long hair.

Just below collarbones doesn't sound too bad. I would say very little maintenance and you can pretty much do a lot of styles with it. And if you feel lazy one day, just grab it and tie it in a ponytail. (If anyone complains, say you are rocking the messy look )

ReputationRep:
    Long hair fanatic reporting in…!

Growing your hair is fairly easy; growing your hair healthily, however, involves a bit more effort.
    Mine is at about hip-length right now; I don't have any split ends and my hair is generally very shiny and, I dare say, quite beautiful; probably because I never straighten it, never blow-dry it, never dye it with anything but henna, don't use any chemical shampoos or conditioners (natural cosmetics > conventional cosmetics), don't wash it every single day (nope, it doesn't get greasy) and generally do a lot of very odd things to it (my best friend once commented that normal people would make dinner with all the things I use for hair treatments).
    That sounds like an awful lot of effort now, but you actually get used to it quickly. Hip length is, of course, a bit more difficult to maintain than your desired length and getting it past your collar bones should be fairly easy, so all I can recommend right now is to avoid destroing your hair structure with straighteners, blow dryers or other kinds of heat (no, the "heat protection liquid" things do not work, it's just a silly rip-off), not using chemical dye or gluing it up with silicones and you should be fine.

(If you are indeed aiming for long and healthy hair, I recommend visiting LHC.)

ReputationRep:
    i can't really help causing damage to my hair
    i let it dry naturally and i very very very rarely straighten it because its naturaly straight anyway
    but it is bleached
    despite that my hair is in amazing condition because my best friends a hairdresser so she gets me the salon shampoos cheap and gives me treatments and stuff
    but i'm just gunna try growing it because, as people have saidd..if i don't like it i can just cut it off

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.