Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I'm flying to London tomorrow.
    I'll be staying until next Tuesday, near Euston Station, my mum and my brother will arrive on Friday evening. Now, which oyster cards do we need?
    I have come up with the following, please tell me whether I'm correct:

For me, a 7 day travelcard would probably be the most sensible option? It's 28 pounds for zones 1-3, 4 per day, that's probably as cheap as it gets?

For my mum and my bro, should we buy a pay-as-you-go oyster card? It says on their website that it won't cost more than a one day travel card, no matter how much you use it - sounds fine with me?!

Is buying those oyster cards easy? Can I just go into a ticket shop and say "a 7 day travelcard and two pay-as-you-go cards with 20 pounds each, please"?
    Also, do the machines that scan your oyster cards show you how much money there is left on them?

Which zones would we need as "typical tourists"? Do I need zones 1-2? 1-3?

Thanks a lot

(Original post by Y__)
    For me, a 7 day travelcard would probably be the most sensible option? It's 28 pounds for zones 1-3, 4 per day, that's probably as cheap as it gets?
    Yep.

For my mum and my bro, should we buy a pay-as-you-go oyster card? It says on their website that it won't cost more than a one day travel card, no matter how much you use it - sounds fine with me?!
    Yep.

Is buying those oyster cards easy? Can I just go into a ticket shop and say "a 7 day travelcard and two pay-as-you-go cards with 20 pounds each, please"?
    FIrst, you want Oyster Cards. Then you state what you want on them. You may need to fill in forms (this may have changed).

Also, do the machines that scan your oyster cards show you how much money there is left on them?
    The modern ones do. Some of the older ones don't. You can always check in a station by touching it on the big touch screen automated ticket machines. It will tell you how much money is left and give you options to add more.

Which zones would we need as "typical tourists"? Do I need zones 1-2? 1-3?
    1-2 at the most. You'd probably get by on just zone 1. The tourist areas outside of zone 1 are Camden... and err... possibly Canary Wharf if you strangely wanted to see that (but some do). The Dome/O2 (but no one ever goes there). Wembley would be a one off to zone 5...

You can plan ahead pretty easily.

ReputationRep:
    Need £3 one of fee for a oyster card as well

ReputationRep:
    Pay-as-you-go Oyster cards are the easiest. Wander up to the counter and say "I would like a pay as you go Oyster Card with £x on it." They will charge you the amount plus the £3 for the card.

You can then use it on buses and the tube. bus journeys are 90p and tube journeys within zone 1 are £1.50, limited to a £6 charge per day.

Some machines will tell you how much you have left as you swipe in and out. They are by far the easiest.

ReputationRep:
    You can get visitor Oyster cards, I'm sure of it. Have a look on the TFL website. I think you can also buy them at most tube stations now too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince Rhyus)
    You can then use it on buses and the tube. bus journeys are 90p and tube journeys within zone 1 are £1.50, limited to a £6 charge per day.
    That's the point I don't really get: Is it limited to £6 a day, or £6 a day for tube journeys and £6 a day for bus journeys?

ReputationRep:
    From http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...-of-oyster.pdf

What is daily price capping and how does it work?

Daily price capping is the most you’ll pay a day when using Oyster to pay as
    you go on the bus, Tube, tram, DLR, London Overground and participating
    National Rail services.

As you travel around, the system checks and keeps a running total of
    each journey you make, based on:
    • Where you start your journey
    • The time you touch your Oyster card onto the reader at the start of
    each journey
    • Which modes of transport you use. As you make more journeys during the
    day, the system calculates the cheapest cap to apply.
    During a 24 hour period* you will never pay more than the equivalent
    Bus Pass or Day Travelcard price for all Oyster pay as you go journeys or we
    will refund the difference.

For this promise to apply you must always touch in and touch out at the
    start and end of every journey on the Tube, DLR, London Overground and
    National Rail, and touch in at the start of your journey on buses and trams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y__)
    That's the point I don't really get: Is it limited to £6 a day, or £6 a day for tube journeys and £6 a day for bus journeys?
    £3 for buses and £5.10 for tube.

ReputationRep:
    ha. it used to be my job to process the application forms for travelcards and oystercards and all that.

you'd be suprised how many people there are in london that can't even spell their own address......

ReputationRep:
    also, you can get your £3 deposit for the oyster card back after your done with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    1-2 at the most. You'd probably get by on just zone 1. The tourist areas outside of zone 1 are Camden... and err... possibly Canary Wharf if you strangely wanted to see that (but some do). The Dome/O2 (but no one ever goes there). Wembley would be a one off to zone 5...

You can plan ahead pretty easily.

Canary wharf is THE most beautiful part of London. Every person I take there at night is blown away, and has open mouthed expressions for the hour we wander around. its a nice palce to have a drink and a meal - wetherspoons if youre on a budget, if not walk down to the thames, theres some cheap italien palces along there )5-10 for a main course). and the whole area is just generally breathtaking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paperclip)
    also, you can get your £3 deposit for the oyster card back after your done with it
    Didn't realise this. They are usable as well, but you have to get them activated if you haven't used for 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to fill in forms you can get one straight out of a machine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    Didn't realise this. They are usable as well, but you have to get them activated if you haven't used for 2 years.

im unaware of that :confused:

the oyster card fee is considered a deposit, so you can get a refund when you dont need it anymore

and yeah, no forms, just go up to a ticket office and ask for an oyster card

ReputationRep:
    can't really add anything more but - oyster rox

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.