The Student Room Group

Holocaust deniers here and elsewhere better watch their step

Derbyshire women Alison Chabloz, who published regular holocaust denial material on YouTube, including her own songs, has been found guilty of two counts of causing an offensive, indecent or menacing message to be sent over a public communications network. Sentencing is expected on Friday afternoon.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/may/25/woman-who-posted-holocaust-denial-songs-to-youtube-convicted-alison-chabloz

Holocaust deniers, you are on notice. This is illegal and you can and will be successfully prosecuted for it.

It will be interesting to see how harsh the sentence is - presumably some sort of fine is in the offing, but it would be nice to see her on community service forced to clean anti-semitic graffiti off walls nationwide, or similar. :yep:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Derbyshire women Alison Chabloz, who published regular holocaust denial material on YouTube, including her own songs, has been found guilty of two counts of causing an offensive, indecent or menacing message to be sent over a public communications network. Sentencing is expected on Friday afternoon.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/may/25/woman-who-posted-holocaust-denial-songs-to-youtube-convicted-alison-chabloz

Holocaust deniers, you are on notice. This is illegal and you can and will be successfully prosecuted for it.

It will be interesting to see how harsh the sentence is - presumably some sort of fine is in the offing, but it would be nice to see her on community service forced to clean anti-semitic graffiti off walls nationwide, or similar. :yep:

Good. I hope flat-earthers are next, lol.
Original post by Ciel.

Are you comparing holocaust denial to flat earthism?
Reply 3
Are you comparing holocaust denial to flat earthism?

No, just the level of their idiocy. Their beliefs are based on the same thing - delusions.

Chaos is a ladder and we are still climbing.
Original post by Wired_1800
Chaos is a ladder and we are still climbing.

I don't understand your comment. You're not in favour of treating public holocaust denial as criminal?
Original post by Ciel.
No, just the level of their idiocy. Their beliefs are based on the same thing - delusions.

They may be idiots but holocaust denial is very damaging and hateful whereas flat earthers believe that because a ball doesnt roll across the ground when you drop it, the world is flat (solid logic there)
Reply 7
Original post by rhaegar442
They may be idiots but holocaust denial is very damaging and hateful whereas flat earthers believe that because a ball doesnt roll across the ground when you drop it, the world is flat (solid logic there)

It's an entirely different matter but flat earthism is damaging, too. There are kids and mentally vulnerable people watching these videos and believing them. It's crazy.
Original post by rhaegar442
Holocaust deniers are idiots because they ignore historical evidence.
Flat earthers are idiots because they don't understand scientific evidence.
I don't understand your comment. You're not in favour of treating public holocaust denial as criminal?

No, I am not.
Original post by Ciel.

And anti-vaxxers and conspiracy theorists.

I can't agree. It is by no means clear from that report that it was the Holocaust denial aspects of her songs that were the problem,. It seems far more likely that they were just deemed to be incitement to hate and to be grossly offensive overall.

For the record, my view is that nobody should ever be prosecuted in a free democracy simply for making a statement like Holocaust denial, no matter how offensive some may find it. I also think the law goes too far if people can be prosecuted for being controversial or offensive and such prosecutions should only be possible for incitement to violence.

One day, after all, someone may decide that left-wing propaganda is grossly offensive.
Reply 12
Original post by AngeryPenguin
And anti-vaxxers and conspiracy theorists.

Oh yes, please. Seriously, a lot of these people should be in prison, anti vaxxers for health hazards, conspiracy theorists for causing psychological distress to actual victims, e.g. shooting victims/their families.
Original post by Good bloke
One day, after all, someone may decide that left-wing propaganda is grossly offensive.

How can you find anything offensive about wanting equality, tolerance, and human rights?
Original post by Ciel.
Oh yes, please. Seriously, a lot of these people should be in prison, anti vaxxers for health hazards, conspiracy theorists for causing psychological distress to actual victims, e.g. shooting victims/their families.

Conspiracy theorists are also a national security threat, repeating Kremlin talking points.

Still can't believe RT isn't banned in the UK tbh.
How can you find anything offensive about wanting equality, tolerance, and human rights?

Read what I write a bit more carefully please. Did I say advocacy of mainstream left-wing views? No. I used a specific word. In any event, I have little doubt that the Germany of 1938 would find many articulations of mainstream left-wing opinion to be grossly offensive.
Denying the holocaust ever happened is rather disgusting. The eye witnesses, some of them even alive today, and the undeniable testimony , evidence, video, large graves, make anyone trying to deny it fools. Those who try to debate the exact number, whether one or six million died are engaging in a pointless pursuit. One million killed in that fashion is just as evil.

If someone is trying to counter those who justify Israels occupation by claiming they have a right to because of the holocaust, that is fair, because the holocaust is a terrible human tragedy and one would insult those who were massacred if they used it to justify another injustice happening today. However, in doing so one must be clear that the holocaust and racism and antisemitism, can never be justified.
Original post by Good bloke
Read what I write a bit more carefully please. Did I say advocacy of mainstream left-wing views? No. I used a specific word. In any event, I have little doubt that the Germany of 1938 would find many articulations of mainstream left-wing opinion to be grossly offensive.

We are not living in the Germany of 1938, in a society where horrible views are normalised.

We are living in the Britain of 2018, and have far more enlightened views than the outdated racism of old Europe.
I don't believe holding anti-Semitic views or denying the Holocaust should be a crime.

But I am more than happy to see such a person verbally abused and mocked.
We are not living in the Germany of 1938, in a society where horrible views are normalised.

We are living in the Britain of 2018, and have far more enlightened views than the outdated racism of old Europe.

We may be for the moment, but attitudes change all the time. If she can be prosecuted for being offensive today, you might be next year, or in 2037.

In any event, I'm not sure we are. We have seen calls in this very thread for punishments for people who, effectively, do not understand science. We are actually living in a very judgemental and prescriptive, even puritanical age . Attitudes to non-conformists are remarkably like those prevalent in the late eighteenth century in many ways, and extremely intolerant. This is ironic as it is all done in the name of liberalism, but it a very authoritarian, regressive, puritanical and humourless iberalism

Quick Reply

Latest