Can i take O-levels in the UK? Watch

Chong Wa
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I would like to take the Cambridge O-levels in maths and the sciences. Do you think this would be possible in a UK state school? Also, do you think they are more respected than GCSE's.
xx-creampuff-xx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you mean a levels, o levels are the old version of gcses and generally you need a good set of gcses to study a levels
Tootles
Badges: 20
Report 1 year ago
O level GCEs haven't been offered in nearly 40 years :lol:
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They probably are more respected than GCSE, but are only relevant for people who were taking them at the time, before GCSE was introduced.
Chong Wa
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by xx-creampuff-xx)
Do you mean a levels, o levels are the old version of gcses and generally you need a good set of gcses to study a levels
I meant o levels. They are offered in countries such as Pakistan so why not in the UK? Innit?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
_gcx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Chong Wa)
I would like to take the Cambridge O-levels in maths and the sciences. Do you think this would be possible in a UK state school? Also, do you think they are more respected than GCSE's.
Why would you want to? If you're in a UK state school you can just take normal GCSEs, or CIE iGCSEs if you have a particular reason to. (this wouldn't count for the school in league tables so you'd probably have to fund this yourself)

(Original post by xx-creampuff-xx)
O-levels still exist in some places. Off the top of my head, particularly in Singapore, offered by cambridge assessment.
cosmicprince
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For everyone saying O-Levels are obsolete, I would like to draw their attenion to the fact that CIE does offer O-Levels at the moment.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
2childmum
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Cambridge (CIE) do still offer O-levels - they are usually taken by overseas students, but you can still take them in this country. I don't think they will be considered better - in actual fact i am so old that I have O levels from before GCSE days and I have heard of one or two of my contemporaries having to take GCSEs in English and Maths as the employers won't accept their O levels

If you can find an exam centre which offers Cambridge exams they will be able to enter you - but i don't think many state schools are registered with Cambridge, because they only offer IGCSEs which no longer count on school league tables. You could try to find a private exam centre but be warned - they are likely to charge you a lot of money to sit them.
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Chong Wa)
I meant o levels. They are offered in countries such as Pakistan so why not in the UK? Innit?
O-levels have been replaced by GCSEs in the UK. They are the same level of qualification, however the topics covered and methods of assessment may differ (both historically and compared with international subjects). They would be equivalent to IGCSEs internationally.

If you were studying in the UK, you would study similar subjects, but the qualification would be the GCSE in that subject or subjects. In terms of university entry requirements in the UK, they are equivalent. I don't know how they are compared internationally, I would imagine similarly but I couldn't say for certain...
Puffdragon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'm doing an o level in the UK. More interesting syllabus than the GCSE so why not?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (147)
17.63%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.87%
No I am happy with my course choice (492)
58.99%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.51%

Watched Threads