Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Name:  Screenshot_2018-05-25-16-27-07-compressed.png.jpeg
Views: 96
Size:  133.1 KB

How to approach the first question...
using your tips and trying to improve exam technique I did this but I had no idea after!!
Also would you recommend highlighting or underlining like this in the exam?

Name:  image-8a5bd6a9-1b68-4edd-af4f-a25db097860b830551240-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 55
Size:  22.1 KB
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ok good - at least it's a start (how many marks is the Q worth?)

Answer these Qs to get 5 more marks [potentially]:-

a) What happened to lactose conc eventually i.e. did it keep on decreasing?
b) What was the final con of lactose?
c) and d) Same Qs as a) and b) for ammonia
e) EXPLAIN = why did these changes occur? - look at some of my other posts on data/graph Qs and work out the answer (THINK logically and step by step) - v difficult for me to explain by typing!
macpatgh-Sheldon
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ok got a minute or 2 nw:

TAKE THE 6 WISE MEN: Why When Which What Where and How?

a) Why might the conc of ammonia have gone down? What is the main element in ammonia? WHERE Could it have gone into something that has increased? THINK THINK!

b} Same with lactose: What type of molecule is lactose? What is its function? Where could it have gone?

I am going to the gym now! Have a shot at ALL Qs above! If I am not too shattered on my return, I will help!
chem222
Rep:
?
(Original post by macpatelgh)
Ok got a minute or 2 nw:

TAKE THE 6 WISE MEN: Why When Which What Where and How?

a) Why might the conc of ammonia have gone down? What is the main element in ammonia? WHERE Could it have gone into something that has increased? THINK THINK!

b} Same with lactose: What type of molecule is lactose? What is its function? Where could it have gone?

I am going to the gym now! Have a shot at ALL Qs above! If I am not too shattered on my return, I will help!
lactose and ammonia are both excreted by the kidneys....
macpatgh-Sheldon
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
OK nearly correct but very flimsy and brief attempt! (fungi [Penicillium] HAVE NO KIDNEYS so irrelevant!)

READ UP YOUR NOTES OR TEXTBOOK ON BIOCHEMISTRY OF LIFE

What is the main chemical compound in living matter? What element does this chemical contain that other common components of protoplasm [think of the classes of food] (including most of the unit membrane) lack? Is this element present in ammonia? Where else in a cell is this element found - [clue: in a darker area near the middle of the cell]? Could this element have gone from the ammonia to the Penicillium? Clue: What has happened to the amount of biomass in given graph?

Take each of these Qs [ALL OF THEM] one by one, then think step by step as to why I might be asking these simple Qs THEN try to link them to the Q you originally asked AND THE ANSWERS WILL LIGHT UP IN YOUR BRAIN!

Go on, do just that, and I can promise you, you will know yourself when you have the right answers!

M
chem222
Rep:
?
(Original post by macpatelgh)
OK nearly correct but very flimsy and brief attempt! (fungi [Penicillium] HAVE NO KIDNEYS so irrelevant!)

READ UP YOUR NOTES OR TEXTBOOK ON BIOCHEMISTRY OF LIFE

What is the main chemical compound in living matter? What element does this chemical contain that other common components of protoplasm [think of the classes of food] (including most of the unit membrane) lack? Is this element present in ammonia? Where else in a cell is this element found - [clue: in a darker area near the middle of the cell]? Could this element have gone from the ammonia to the Penicillium? Clue: What has happened to the amount of biomass in given graph?

Take each of these Qs [ALL OF THEM] one by one, then think step by step as to why I might be asking these simple Qs THEN try to link them to the Q you originally asked AND THE ANSWERS WILL LIGHT UP IN YOUR BRAIN!

Go on, do just that, and I can promise you, you will know yourself when you have the right answers!

M
Thanks a lot!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (73)
30.29%
No (168)
69.71%

Watched Threads