The Student Room Group

Biology as level labelling

Can someone tell me where the vascular bundle is and wether this drawling is right ? It’s not a nice drawing but it’s just a question I want to ask
The images are attached below

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Universecolors
Can someone tell me where the vascular bundle is and wether this drawling is right ? It’s not a nice drawing but it’s just a question I want to ask
The images are attached below

02CBA39D-ED7B-4118-8C20-9021082C7838.jpg.jpeg
C73743A4-8189-4DEC-8CE9-9F4C81CCE136.jpg.jpeg
This shows one bundle - I would say this is a cross-section of a stem (in which the bundles are arranged in a rough circular shape producing in 3-D a (incomplete) cylinder, which is the best way to resist horizontal forces = wind. In the root the bundles form a central rod which can easily push downwards through the soil (vertical force).

Attachment not found
Original post by macpatelgh
This shows one bundle - I would say this is a cross-section of a stem (in which the bundles are arranged in a rough circular shape producing in 3-D a (incomplete) cylinder, which is the best way to resist horizontal forces = wind. In the root the bundles form a central rod which can easily push downwards through the soil (vertical force).

Attachment not found

So is my picture correct for one vascular bundle and is the one u circled the vascular bundle
The one I have circled, YES.

Your drawing looks v different from the micrograph in overall shape PLUS you have drawn a number of blobs with no labelling, so impossible to tell!
The one I have circled, YES.

Your drawing looks v different from the micrograph in overall shape PLUS you have drawn a number of blobs with no labelling, so impossible to tell!

Are the three small circles I drew representative of vascular bundles , I know it’s not my real picture , just a sample
Plus can you circle the vascular bundle here too please
Attachment not found
(edited 5 years ago)
I can show you with my own pics and hand-drawn diagrams - easier if you confirm that the section given in the micrograph is part of a stem (or otherwise)
I can show you with my own pics and hand-drawn diagrams - easier if you confirm that the section given in the micrograph is part of a stem 9or otherwise)

No I just want to know if I write vascular bundle for those three circles , if it’s correct ? Ps that’s a leaf I guess
(edited 5 years ago)
Sorry to be blunt but the diagram you have drawn HAS NO CORRELATION WHATSOEVER to the cross-section microscope view given.

So there is no way of knowing what you are trying to show by "the 3 small circles".

SO the answer is INCORRECT.

I am happy to explain how the whole thing works if you would like to learn.
Sorry to be blunt but the diagram you have drawn HAS NO CORRELATION WHATSOEVER to the cross-section microscope view given.

So there is no way of knowing what you are trying to show by "the 3 small circles".

Ok wait let me tell you how I drew the diagram
No probs!

Look I’m just trying to draw a plan diagram , I don’t really need any details , and that’s the drawing
E61A4BE5-FB0D-472C-82DD-CA406080F4AC.jpg.jpeg
No this is incorrect - the single larger blob [to the left of the 3 small ones] is the vascular bundle! The "lump" where all those four shapes are located is the vein you see running along the middle of a leaf, and each vein or branch of it HAS ONLY ONE VASCULAR BUNDLE.

leaf x-section.jpg
No this is incorrect - the single larger blob [to the left of the 3 small ones] is the vascular bundle! The "lump" where all those four shapes are located is the vein you see running along the middle of a leaf, and each vein or branch of it HAS ONLY ONE VASCULAR BUNDLE.

leaf x-section.jpg

Ok can you please tell if without the labelling , the drawing is correct ? And if you were to draw it , how would you do it
Attachment not found
(edited 5 years ago)

leaf x-section.jpg

Can you please tell me if without the labelling it’s correct or not ? For this F5B9EFBF-92D6-4F13-87A8-B28B3CBADA55.jpg.jpeg
Thanks for the rep!

Drawing leaf x-section B.jpg

This is how I would draw it - if you have limited time, miss out the xylem and phloem individual tubes and other labels.
Thanks for the rep!

Drawing leaf x-section B.jpg

This is how I would draw it - if you have limited time, miss out the xylem and phloem individual tubes and other labels.

Is my structure correct if looking at it without labels ?
And thanks for the picture , but yours is not a plan diagram I guess and why is there only one vascular bundle
(edited 5 years ago)
Ok - just saw your latest post - I am not a botanist and you are not an artist :colondollar: - I have not come across vascular bundles being split into parts as in your latest upload - in this case I would label all four of your "circles" (1 large and 3 small) as vascular bundles - you can tell this is the case in the micrograph (latest one) cos u can see the xylem tubes [with thick dark borders] in all of them - having said that, I would draw your diagram with the shapes and location of the bundles a bit more similar to those in the micrograph.

In summary, I need to do an MSc in Pharmacognosy [in which you learn about the micro-anatomy of various plants], and you need to do a BA in fine art!!!:wink:

BTW, well done! - you have taught me something!
(edited 5 years ago)
Ok - just saw your latest post - I am not a botanist and you are not an artist :colondollar: - I have not come across vascular bundles being split into parts as in your latest upload - in this case I would label all four of your "circles" (1 large and small) as vascular bundles - you can tell this is the case in the micrograph (latest one) cos u can see the xylem tubes [with thick dark borders] in all of them - having said that, I would draw your diagram with the shapes and location of the bundles a bit more similar to those in the micrograph.

In summary, I need to do an MSc in Pharmacognosy [in which you learn about the micro-anatomy of various plants], and you need to do a BA in fine art!!!:wink:

BTW, well done! - you have taught me something!

Not a fan of art honestly , but hahaha I will take the advice , btw what have I taught u ? I’m curious
And so is my picture right overall ? If not labeled the way I did
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi again, I had only looked at a handful of pics of leaf cross-section, and had ALWAYS seen only one vascular bundle per vein/venule - you have taught me that some species of plants have more than one bundle per vein - I suppose 4.8 degrees is not enough, especially as one of my nicknames is Sheldon!!

Quick Reply

Latest