The Student Room Group

Have you ever considered giving blood?

Poll

Have you ever considered giving blood?

I am just back after my third blood donation this afternoon. I feel very proud to have been able to played my part in helping patients, yet this feeling, and the ease of the donation process has got me thinking: With this year being such a landmark year for the NHS (70th Anniversary: 5th July 2018), why do more people not give blood?

I just thought for what its worth that I would briefly share some of my experiences of donating blood, and hope to raise discussion about this very important issue which lies close to my heart.

My Initial Thoughts and Fears

When I went to donate, particularly with my first donation, my biggest fear was the needle. Many people at Uni who I have spoken to about blood donation say the same thing - the thought of the needle, and prolonged discomfort, puts them off.

However, as with most worries, people (myself included) tend to imagine the very worst, whilst the reality is nowhere near as bad.

My worst fears before my first donation surrounded the experience being physically uncomfortable, and of course the needle. But in reality, my fears were simply not justified.

The Reality

The reality is that the needle is nothing more than a small prick. Its insertion is not painful at all, and the slight prick is only noticed for less than a second. You just don't feel the needle once it has been inserted. I also found, for me, that simply looking away whilst the needle is being inserted reduces any anxieties, as it takes less that a second to insert. You don't feel it after that, I promise.

My thoughts about the whole donation process being uncomfortable were also equally unjustified. In reality, the donation process is made to be incredibly comfortable. It took six minutes for my 470ml donation to complete today. In this time, reclining in the donor chair and having lost notice of the needle or any or even the fact that I was donating blood, I just spent thinking in my own mind. It was actually very peaceful and tranquil to have six minutes just to think - rather than being busy with things and on my feet for most of the day.

What's more, throughout the whole donation process, the staff were fantastic at putting me at ease. They were excellent in calming any anxieties I had in surrounding the needle, successfully doing everything the process as comfortable as possible. They were also very friendly and have a way about diminishing any on-the-day nerves.

Please consider donating!

We are all very blessed to have the NHS, and almost all of us will use it at some point in our lives. For its 70th Birthday this year, why not give the gift of life and make an appointment to Donate Blood?

I am happy to take any questions about my personal experiences of donating!

Scroll to see replies

Yes I am afraid of donating blood. I might be 19 and to the world and adult, but like you I suppose I'm afraid of the needle.
I've heard it makes you weak / different after you donate blood? I'm afraid of that as I'd be going alone there and then coming back so if I faint or something, well that would be undesired.
I don't actually know how you donate blood? Do you have to arrange something online? Can you just come in? Hospitals are kinda big anyway and I don't know layouts so well but if I did go I wouldn't want to be there all day.
Finally, idk if they need my blood? I am O+ which is a blood type my mum has told me is the most common one so I'm not even sure if the hospital needs it.
Also, do they give you sweeties or a badge or something. Would love to be able to wear that after and go to uni or something.

I do respect those who give blood but never actually done it before and only having a needle in me for compulsory vaccinations (most recently that meningitis thing), I am scared. Your post and help is really good and appreciated.
I would love to give blood, but due to the regulations surrounding it, I can’t. As “a woman that in the last 3 months has had sex with a man that has ever had sex with another man, regardless of whether protective is used” I can’t. My partner can now, because it’s been over 2 years since he did that. But as long as I’m with him, unless we want to abstain for 3 months, I can’t give blood, and it’s super annoying but I like to think that there are actual legitimate scientific reasons they do this rather than just the NHS are stuck in the 70’s when it comes to aids prevention. Alas, as a simple humanities grad, I don’t know enough of the science behind it all. But if that wasn’t a thing, I’d be a human pin cushion.
(edited 5 years ago)
I tried to give blood once but was prevented by regulations which claim that I don't weigh enough apparently.
I tried, but they couldn’t find a large enough vein in my elbow. They told me to come back in a few years and hopefully my veins will be bigger - which I doubt since I was 20 at the time and they’ve probably done all the growing they’re gonna do. Maybe if I start working out, they’ll get bigger with my muscles?
Original post by pereira325
Yes I am afraid of donating blood. I might be 19 and to the world and adult, but like you I suppose I'm afraid of the needle.
I've heard it makes you weak / different after you donate blood? I'm afraid of that as I'd be going alone there and then coming back so if I faint or something, well that would be undesired.
I don't actually know how you donate blood? Do you have to arrange something online? Can you just come in? Hospitals are kinda big anyway and I don't know layouts so well but if I did go I wouldn't want to be there all day.
Finally, idk if they need my blood? I am O+ which is a blood type my mum has told me is the most common one so I'm not even sure if the hospital needs it.
Also, do they give you sweeties or a badge or something. Would love to be able to wear that after and go to uni or something.

I do respect those who give blood but never actually done it before and only having a needle in me for compulsory vaccinations (most recently that meningitis thing), I am scared. Your post and help is really good and appreciated.

If I remember correctly, O type blood is the most useful because it can be given to the widest variety of people. I think O- is better than O+ in that regard, but they would still want your blood.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
If I remember correctly, O type blood is the most useful because it can be given to the widest variety of people. I think O- is better than O+ in that regard, but they would still want your blood.

Thanks. Well idk, I see a lot of signs saying "give blood" and read stuff which says they're short on blood in general so it'd be useful.
But I'd still like OP to answer my questions :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by pereira325

It's very unlikely that you would faint. The machine is set to take exactly 470ml of blood, and will stop taking any more when it reaches that amount. I didn't feel any different after donating blood. I felt a little light headed once immediately after one donation. Definitely nowhere the point of fainting, but I just felt like not doing any heavy exercise immediately after donation (the Blood Service advise against heavy exercise on donation day). However, once I had sat down that slight feeling quickly diminished.

The staff give you 500ml of water to drink before you donate, and about another 500ml after you donate, so any fluids you lose will be replaced. Also, there is a special area you go to after you donate to sit down and recuperate. There are plenty hot drinks, crisps and biscuits there to have after donation (donors are recommended to eat and drink well on the day of donation). Donors can stay there as long as they want to. Some leave almost immediately, others wait for about 10 minutes. How long donors wait at the end of their session is often just personal choice, as the donation itself does not really physically exhaust you. Many people drive to donor sessions, and have no problems driving away from them.

All blood groups are highly sought after, especially as only around 4% of the population currently donate at all. Also, as O is such a common blood group, this means that it is always in demand in hospitals.

To donate blood, the first thing to do would be to register as a blood donor at this site: https://www.blood.co.uk/the-donation-process/registering-online/

Once you have registered, you can make an appointment. Appointments are often recommended rather than walk-ins, as it enables staff to spread the number of donations throughout the day and maintain good care throughout. I have heard of people being turned away without an appointment if they are too oversubscribed, as staff would never accept too many donors in a session as to stretch themselves too thinly and diminish the quality of overall care they provide.

Donations don't have to be in hospitals. They are more likely to be held at Community Centres, Village Halls or even Hotels. If you live in a large city, there might be a NHS Blood Donor Centre in it. But in smaller towns, donation sessions are likely to held at accessible and smaller venues. I have never donated in a hospital before. Also, the donation process itself is not too long. It took 50 minutes from start to finish for me today, and even then I could have left the rest area earlier if I wanted to. The Blood Donation Service aim to complete your donation within an hour of your arrival time.

There is an award system on the number of donations you have given. You get a donor card after your first donation, which is replaced by a bronze one after your fifth. At 10 it is a badge and a certificate and at 25 your bronze donor card will be replaced by a silver one. At 50 it is a gold donor card and a badge.

:smile:
Nah cos Im a mudblood :cool: lol

seriously though cos I've got tattoos so I can't
i gave blood for the first time in november i think, normally im not scared of needles i can do injections etc but for some reason the donating needle was bloody painful and it still hurt a few days after which is completely normal i think. when i donated blood i think for some reason my donation time was really fast, i remember being on the chair and a nurse telling me i was done and everyone came round like omg omg you're a 1st time donor and you gave blood that quick! i dont really know how much i gave and how long i gave but i know there were people giving blood before me who still hadn't finished

but i agree the experience was incredible and seeing all the other people gving blood warmed my heart, but what topped of the experience has got to be the text you get on where your blood went - sooo cute!!!
Original post by Tomm98
It's very unlikely that you would faint. The machine is set to take exactly 470ml of blood, and will stop taking any more when it reaches that amount. I didn't feel any different after donating blood. I felt a little light headed once immediately after one donation. Definitely nowhere the point of fainting, but I just felt like not doing any heavy exercise immediately after donation (the Blood Service advise against heavy exercise on donation day). However, once I had sat down that slight feeling quickly diminished.

The staff give you 500ml of water to drink before you donate, and about another 500ml after you donate, so any fluids you lose will be replaced. Also, there is a special area you go to after you donate to sit down and recuperate. There are plenty hot drinks, crisps and biscuits there to have after donation (donors are recommended to eat and drink well on the day of donation). Donors can stay there as long as they want to. Some leave almost immediately, others wait for about 10 minutes. How long donors wait at the end of their session is often just personal choice, as the donation itself does not really physically exhaust you. Many people drive to donor sessions, and have no problems driving away from them.

All blood groups are highly sought after, especially as only around 4% of the population currently donate at all. Also, as O is such a common blood group, this means that it is always in demand in hospitals.

To donate blood, the first thing to do would be to register as a blood donor at this site: https://www.blood.co.uk/the-donation-process/registering-online/

Once you have registered, you can make an appointment. Appointments are often recommended rather than walk-ins, as it enables staff to spread the number of donations throughout the day and maintain good care throughout. I have heard of people being turned away without an appointment if they are too oversubscribed, as staff would never accept too many donors in a session as to stretch themselves too thinly and diminish the quality of overall care they provide.

Donations don't have to be in hospitals. They are more likely to be held at Community Centres, Village Halls or even Hotels. If you live in a large city, there might be a NHS Blood Donor Centre in it. But in smaller towns, donation sessions are likely to held at accessible and smaller venues. I have never donated in a hospital before. Also, the donation process itself is not too long. It took 50 minutes from start to finish for me today, and even then I could have left the rest area earlier if I wanted to. The Blood Donation Service aim to complete your donation within an hour of your arrival time.

There is an award system on the number of donations you have given. You get a donor card after your first donation, which is replaced by a bronze one after your fifth. At 10 it is a badge and a certificate and at 25 your bronze donor card will be replaced by a silver one. At 50 it is a gold donor card and a badge.

:smile:

Thank you for your response.
I dunno how much blood is in my body LOL but I mean I'm like 6"2 but like tall and "slim" rather than muscly but I'm guessing that must be a low proportion of overall blood or whatever anyway (The 470ml you mention)?
Ah that sounds like a good experience if that's appropriate.
Umm... would I be registered already? I remember someone coming to my sixth form and asking us to sign up for organ donation so idk if that's the same register. I think I signed up for that (because why not also!)
Assuming I do signup online anyway, do you think they'll send me any paperwork or a card? I don't know. I wouldn't be ashamed of donating blood or anything but it's kind of a grown up thing so it might make my parents feel worried or something for me. I dunno :tongue:
Wow, only 4% donate... this is a serious thing. Glad you said that as it feels even more important actually.

Yes, sure I can book in advance as I am a uni student so during term time I would have a timetable and yeah be able to go at a certain time so great info.

An hour to get it all wrapped up is great...

And wow... all the badges! That's awesome. It'd be a personal win and a completion I can brag about very happily and proudly.

So I dunno, I'm a "healthy" young male (19) as in I got no conditions and stuff so do you you know how often they let you do it? It's fine if it's once every 2 weeks or fine if it's once a month to be honest. Just asking so I can figure out when I'll be receiving my gold badge :smile:

Thanks for your time
Reply 11
I keep getting tattooed abroad so it ****s it up.
I gave blood in Ethiopia for the first time, I was very scared beforehand but it turned out fine. My arm did go numb during which was quite uncomfortable. I would definitely do it again, regularly.

I agree - more people should donate! I got a biscuit and a fizzy drink afterwards which was cool.
Reply 13
This ad was sponsored by the NHS blood and transplant division. Find out more at https://www.blood.co.uk/
Reply 14
But yea I may donate after my exams, to avoid headaches during revision.
Reply 15
Original post by Bang Outta Order
Nah cos Im a mudblood :cool: lol

seriously though cos I've got tattoos so I can't

Guidelines currently state that donors should wait just four months to give blood after getting a tattoo or any kind of piercing
Original post by BenBush
Guidelines currently state that donors should wait just four months to give blood after getting a tattoo or any kind of piercing

Oh cool didnt know that, tar. I'll donate blood in a jiffy then.

You could lay off the bold though :lolwut:
I’m 16, but I would like to give blood when I’m old enough (you have to be 17). However, when reading up about it, I discovered that women under 20 have to be a certain weight based on their height. As I’m underweight and struggle to gain weight, I don’t meet the requirements for blood volume (3,500ml), so I can’t give blood until I’m 20 (so annoying!), and even then only if I gain 8kg in the next four years (and considering I’ve not gained any weight at all for at least six months, this is unlikely). I think this is a really good thing to do, and I really wish I could do it sooner. Based on injections I’ve had, they’re obviously not enjoyable but the needles don’t bother me as long as I don’t look, and knowing that giving blood would help somebody else would make it a lot easier for me.
Original post by briefcase
for some reason the donating needle was bloody painful and it still hurt a few days after which is completely normal i think.

I don't think it is. I've given blood many times (77 so far). There is a brief pain as the needle goes in and then it doesn't hurt at all, nor have I ever had any pain after donation. The only side affect is that I seem to sleep really well that night.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Tomm98
I am just back after my third blood donation this afternoon. I feel very proud to have been able to played my part in helping patients, yet this feeling, and the ease of the donation process has got me thinking: With this year being such a landmark year for the NHS (70th Anniversary: 5th July 2018), why do more people not give blood?

I just thought for what its worth that I would briefly share some of my experiences of donating blood, and hope to raise discussion about this very important issue which lies close to my heart.

My Initial Thoughts and Fears

When I went to donate, particularly with my first donation, my biggest fear was the needle. Many people at Uni who I have spoken to about blood donation say the same thing - the thought of the needle, and prolonged discomfort, puts them off.

However, as with most worries, people (myself included) tend to imagine the very worst, whilst the reality is nowhere near as bad.

My worst fears before my first donation surrounded the experience being physically uncomfortable, and of course the needle. But in reality, my fears were simply not justified.

The Reality

The reality is that the needle is nothing more than a small prick. Its insertion is not painful at all, and the slight prick is only noticed for less than a second. You just don't feel the needle once it has been inserted. I also found, for me, that simply looking away whilst the needle is being inserted reduces any anxieties, as it takes less that a second to insert. You don't feel it after that, I promise.

My thoughts about the whole donation process being uncomfortable were also equally unjustified. In reality, the donation process is made to be incredibly comfortable. It took six minutes for my 470ml donation to complete today. In this time, reclining in the donor chair and having lost notice of the needle or any or even the fact that I was donating blood, I just spent thinking in my own mind. It was actually very peaceful and tranquil to have six minutes just to think - rather than being busy with things and on my feet for most of the day.

What's more, throughout the whole donation process, the staff were fantastic at putting me at ease. They were excellent in calming any anxieties I had in surrounding the needle, successfully doing everything the process as comfortable as possible. They were also very friendly and have a way about diminishing any on-the-day nerves.

Please consider donating!

We are all very blessed to have the NHS, and almost all of us will use it at some point in our lives. For its 70th Birthday this year, why not give the gift of life and make an appointment to Donate Blood?

I am happy to take any questions about my personal experiences of donating!

I'm going to I just did my test and found out im group O!

Quick Reply

Latest