Virgin trains discount needed - If anyone could help

Watch
justwondering12
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello,I am looking to move from Manchester to Essex for a new job role. My opinion was that I either choose my job role or to be with my mum but recently I've decided that doesn't have to be the case. Ive decided to pursue the job role and make things work by commuting down every weekend. Trains can be very expensive as we all know but I just want to make sure that i can be with my mum while pursuing my career and make things work.I was wondering if anyone had contacts or worked at Virgin trains themselves and could get me a discount on train tickets hat i'd be regularly purchasing. I'd be travelling most weekends and would really appreciate any help that anyone could give me.Thanks
Den987
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by justwondering12)
Hello,I am looking to move from Manchester to Essex for a new job role. My opinion was that I either choose my job role or to be with my mum but recently I've decided that doesn't have to be the case. Ive decided to pursue the job role and make things work by commuting down every weekend. Trains can be very expensive as we all know but I just want to make sure that i can be with my mum while pursuing my career and make things work.I was wondering if anyone had contacts or worked at Virgin trains themselves and could get me a discount on train tickets hat i'd be regularly purchasing. I'd be travelling most weekends and would really appreciate any help that anyone could give me.Thanks
I haven't worked at Virgin trains myself but from what I know, in order to get a discount you need to get a railway card. You can find the details on their website:

https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/ticke...cket/railcards
justwondering12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Den987)
I haven't worked at Virgin trains myself but from what I know, in order to get a discount you need to get a railway card. You can find the details on their website:

https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/ticke...cket/railcards
Hi Den,

Thank you very much for your reply. i will definitely already be using a rail card. However, travelling back and forth on a monthly basis will still be quite costly, hence I was looking for other ways to get a discount.

Many thanks,
Anonymous #1
Report 2 years ago
Hi Den,

Thank you very much for your reply. i will definitely already be using a rail card. However, travelling back and forth on a monthly basis will still be quite costly, hence I was looking for other ways to get a discount.

Many thanks,
Try using trainsplit and find the cheapest options if you want that over speed. Also book your journeys as soon as advance tickets become available, there's a calendar on Virgin's website somewhere.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Won't it be cheaper to just move down?
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't work for any train company but I do a fair bit of train travel personally from the city I work in up North to visit friends/family in the South.

You can now get a rail card up to the age of 30 which will give you a third off rail travel (The 26-30 thing is new - it's only been in place for a few months, the cutoff age used to be 25) - this should absorb a lot of the extra cost already - https://www.railcard.co.uk/ .

Also, your best bet would be to make sure you purchase your tickets several months ahead of travelling and specify the exact times you want to travel and return. You can If you avoid "peak" hours (i.e. mornings when people are travelling to work and evenings when everyone's coming home) you can buy a bunch of Advance Single tickets for specific seats on specific trains, which can easily save you another 30% off the Standard Off-Peak ticket fare. This means getting tickets for each leg of the journey instead of the whole thing (Also, use a route which avoids London if possible)

Advance Single tickets sell like hotcakes and don't hang around for very long, the closer they are to your actual travel date the harder it is to get hold of them (depending on how popular your route is. A lot of the long distance routes sell up fairly quickly so you need to jump on them months in advance. However they're quite an affordable way to travel when you combine them with the railcard.

By the way, if you're really short for cash, then trains are an expensive way to travel - you can get much cheaper tickets on National Express coaches instead.
justwondering100
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Try using trainsplit and find the cheapest options if you want that over speed. Also book your journeys as soon as advance tickets become available, there's a calendar on Virgin's website somewhere.
(Original post by Tiger Rag)
Won't it be cheaper to just move down?
Ofcourse, I'll be moving down and living there but travelling back to Manchester every weekend
justwondering12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thank you very much! I have taken into consideration booking in advance, rail card, splitting tickets and the cheapest fares for me would me £60 return.
So it'll cost me around £240 a month just on train travel. Please do let me know if you have any other ways I can also keep the costs down.
justwondering12
Rep:
?
(Original post by winterscoming)
I don't work for any train company but I do a fair bit of train travel personally from the city I work in up North to visit friends/family in the South.

You can now get a rail card up to the age of 30 which will give you a third off rail travel (The 26-30 thing is new - it's only been in place for a few months, the cutoff age used to be 25) - this should absorb a lot of the extra cost already - https://www.railcard.co.uk/ .

Also, your best bet would be to make sure you purchase your tickets several months ahead of travelling and specify the exact times you want to travel and return. You can If you avoid "peak" hours (i.e. mornings when people are travelling to work and evenings when everyone's coming home) you can buy a bunch of Advance Single tickets for specific seats on specific trains, which can easily save you another 30% off the Standard Off-Peak ticket fare. This means getting tickets for each leg of the journey instead of the whole thing (Also, use a route which avoids London if possible)

Advance Single tickets sell like hotcakes and don't hang around for very long, the closer they are to your actual travel date the harder it is to get hold of them (depending on how popular your route is. A lot of the long distance routes sell up fairly quickly so you need to jump on them months in advance. However they're quite an affordable way to travel when you combine them with the railcard.

By the way, if you're really short for cash, then trains are an expensive way to travel - you can get much cheaper tickets on National Express coaches instead.
Hi Winterscoming,

Thank you for the informative reply. This is helpful and gives me a few other tricks I can use to keep costs down. How long in advance do you recommend booking the tickets? Having considered the rail card, splitting tickets, booking in advance, avoiding peak hours and trying to avoid London (although its not possible), the minimum i'd spend is £60 on a return ticket. Making costs £240 min in one month just on rail fares. Do let me know if you have any other hints and tips!

Thanks very much!
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi Winterscoming,

Thank you for the informative reply. This is helpful and gives me a few other tricks I can use to keep costs down. How long in advance do you recommend booking the tickets? Having considered the rail card, splitting tickets, booking in advance, avoiding peak hours and trying to avoid London (although its not possible), the minimum i'd spend is £60 on a return ticket. Making costs £240 min in one month just on rail fares. Do let me know if you have any other hints and tips!

Thanks very much!
I don't make these journeys as often as you're planning, but I try to plan about 2-3 months ahead, although there have been times when I've managed to get the same advance fares with only a week to go, so you can be lucky - they don't always sell out but obviously the longer you leave it the less chance there is of being able to get a train at a time that works for you. Usually I end up picking a train which either involves getting the first train at 5.30am, or reaching the destination at 1am - trains tend to be really quiet at 11pm or 6am so you get a lot more cheap tickets around those times. .

£60 seems pretty good for both directions where you can't avoid London, I can't really imagine you'd be able to get it much lower than that - the Advance fares are nearly always the cheapest ones. (Make sure you specifically look out for the 'Advance' ticket types, not the 'Super off peak' or 'Off peak' tickets. Advance tickets are harder to find and you need to look at times when the trains are naturally quiet)
lealayla
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Please help! Could an AMAZING person please give me their Virgin Trains UNiDAYS 40% student discount code? UNiDAYS don't recognise my institution (even though NUS does) and I badly need the discount to get to Manchester for friend's birthday. Would be forever grateful! Thank you x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (49)
31.41%
No - I have already returned home (19)
12.18%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (33)
21.15%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
8.97%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
26.28%

Watched Threads