The Student Room Group

So I’m doing A-levels 👽👽👽

I want to become lawyer when I am older.
However for my A-levels i chose law,politics and film studies. If I achieve AAA will I get into a law university?
And also are my A-levels too hard.
Anyone that knows anything or recommend anything~plz feel free to comment 👏
Original post by Kev lad
However for my A-levels i chose law,politics and film studies. If I achieve AAA will I get into a law university?

1. Yes.
2. Depends if you enjoy them or not, they arent the most traditional subjects. I wouldnt say they are too hard.

https://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-study-law

Which A levels?

http://russellgroup.ac.uk/for-students/school-and-college-in-the-uk/subject-choices-at-school-and-college/

https://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/six-things-you-need-to-know-before-making-your-a-level-choices
Moved to Law

👽
government and politics is apparently easier than u think as long as u can argue. film studies is pretty easy and i dont know about law. however none of ur subjects are facilitating. you might struggle to get into a RG uni considering ur subjects aren't the best.
Reply 4
Original post by imadogwoofwoof
government and politics is apparently easier than u think as long as u can argue. film studies is pretty easy and i dont know about law. however none of ur subjects are facilitating. you might struggle to get into a RG uni considering ur subjects aren't the best.

I got told law and politics are very good alevels to take and are considered valuable for universities.
I wouldn’t classify them as easy.
In terms of film studies ~ it think it’s easy but yet again it’s classified as an humanity therefore wouldn’t it be good for uni.
Law and politics are good
But for film studies what do you recommend should I take English?
But according to unis it’s better to get an A in an alevel than an C at somert like English.
Should I drop film studies?
Original post by imadogwoofwoof

Original post by Kev lad
I got told law and politics are very good alevels to take and are considered valuable for universities.
I wouldn’t classify them as easy.
In terms of film studies ~ it think it’s easy but yet again it’s classified as an humanity therefore wouldn’t it be good for uni.
Law and politics are good
But for film studies what do you recommend should I take English?
But according to unis it’s better to get an A in an alevel than an C at somert like English.
Should I drop film studies?

Won't struggle as most RG law courses are easy to get on, many with offer rates around 90%. Do subjects you enjoy and think you will get a good grade in. Many IBers have film studies HLs and seem not to struggle even with the top unis.

Of course, if you're going for the more competitive law courses (Oxbridge and most of the LNATs), you want your academics to be as competitive as can be and take more difficult subjects (e.g. Eng Lit over Film Studies). If you're willing to settle for York or Warwick, then take whatever combo you like.

EDIT: do look at the rate of A*/A (see here). Film studies actually has a quite low rate, at 11.5%. This compared to history's 23.6%. This might be because history attracts brighter students who are going to perform better than film studies' lot, but it is something to consider.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
“EDIT: do look at the rate of A*/A (see here). Film studies actually has a quite low rate, at 11.5%. This compared to history's 23.6%. This might be because history attracts brighter students who are going to perform better than film studies' lot, but it is something to consider.

History has so much content and besides I have a lot of things to do eg.my job.
I’ll consider it but that being said I want to take an easier subject that I will enjoy. And currently at GCSE level I’m only getting a grade 6 (mock result) in history. So I could get on the course but I wouldn’t enjoy it as much and besides I won’t get into oxbridge.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Notoriety
Won't struggle as most RG law courses are easy to get on, many with offer rates around 90%. Do subjects you enjoy and think you will get a good grade in. Many IBers have film studies HLs and seem not to struggle even with the top unis.

Of course, if you're going for the more competitive law courses (Oxbridge and most of the LNATs), you want your academics to be as competitive as can be and take more difficult subjects (e.g. Eng Lit over Film Studies). If you're willing to settle for York or Warwick, then take whatever combo you like.

EDIT: do look at the rate of A*/A (see here). Film studies actually has a quite low rate, at 11.5%. This compared to history's 23.6%. This might be because history attracts brighter students who are going to perform better than film studies' lot, but it is something to consider.

Anyway thx for the advice ~ i appreciate it 👏
Reply 8
Original post by Kev lad

I wouldn't recommend taking A-Level Law because you wouldn't be able to develop your analytical and writing skills as much. I would recommend History or English Literature. I would also swap out flim studies for another subject such as Economics because it's a facilitating subject. Also, A-Level is quite a step-up from GCSE generally but I'm sure you'll be fine.
Reply 9
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
I wouldn't recommend taking A-Level Law because you wouldn't be able to develop your analytical and writing skills as much. I would recommend History or English Literature. I would also swap out flim studies for another subject such as Economics because it's a facilitating subject. Also, A-Level is quite a step-up from GCSE generally but I'm sure you'll be fine.

Isn’t film studies quite analytical?
And also on uni websites it says they accept law...

A-Level law is fine.
Reply 11
Original post by Kev lad
Isn’t film studies quite analytical?
And also on uni websites it says they accept law...

I think it's quite a weaker subject personally but don't take my words to heart. Yes unis do accept A-Level Law but from my experience most teachers would rather you take a humanities subject/essay-based subject instead to develop your analytical and writing skills. If you did choose A-Level Law it's mostly learning about different types of law and you get limited opportunities to develop your analytical and writing skills. But the choice is down to you. :smile:
Reply 12
A-Level law is fine.

I know. Refer to my response to OP. :smile:
Reply 13
I think it's quite a weaker subject personally but don't take my words to heart. Yes unis do accept A-Level Law but from my experience most teachers would rather you take a humanities subject/essay-based subject instead to develop your analytical and writing skills. If you did choose A-Level Law it's mostly learning about different types of law and you get limited opportunities to develop your analytical and writing skills. But the choice is down to you. :smile:

If I take English lit instead of film studies.
What do we get to do in lit?
Like do we do great gatsby 😉
And also what else coz I’m not a fan of poetry and Shakespeare...
In my mock I got a 7 in lit so I am decent.
Reply 14
Original post by Kev lad
If I take English lit instead of film studies.
What do we get to do in lit?
Like do we do great gatsby 😉
And also what else coz I’m not a fan of poetry and Shakespeare...
In my mock I got a 7 in lit so I am decent.

Could opt for another subject other than English Lit if you're not too keen. History/Geography wouldn't be a bad choice.

I think your teachers are talking about old A-Level law when it was all memorisation. Now it is more dynamic and requires some problem solving skills. I don't really think law requires "writing skills" in the way history provides: we write in a much more brutalist fashion than the other disciplines, even when writing essays. Then we have problem questions which are purely formulaic and there is no need to write pretty. While your teachers might be against old-style law, law admission tutors are not and that is what should guide OP's decision.
Reply 16
I think your teachers are talking about old A-Level law when it was all memorisation. Now it is more dynamic and requires some problem solving skills. I don't really think law requires "writing skills" in the way history provides: we write in a much more brutalist fashion than the other disciplines, even when writing essays. Then we have problem questions which are purely formulaic and there is no need to write pretty. While your teachers might be against old-style law, law admission tutors are not and that is what should guide OP's decision.

Perhaps so but yeah it's down to the OP's decision. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest