clw0201
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi. I’m a year 12 student and i’m interested in taking psychology at university. I currently take psychology, biology and chemistry at A level and I was wondering what I could do to improve my chances of going to university in terms of work experience etc? At the minute I’m looking at applying to Edinburgh, Royal Holloway, Surrey, Sussex and Kent. Outside of school I volunteer at my local RSPCA and i’ve also got my Bronze DofE award and a merit in Grade 4 singing. By the start of year 13 I will also have work experience at a hospital and special needs school. I also got accepted into a summer school for psychology recently. Other than improving my grades I was just wondering if there‘s anything else I could do that’d be useful in applying for a psychology course? I’m trying to get work experience with a psychologist but I understand it’s hard due to confidentiality etc. Thanks
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by clw0201)
Hi. I’m a year 12 student and i’m interested in taking psychology at university. I currently take psychology, biology and chemistry at A level and I was wondering what I could do to improve my chances of going to university in terms of work experience etc? At the minute I’m looking at applying to Edinburgh, Royal Holloway, Surrey, Sussex and Kent. Outside of school I volunteer at my local RSPCA and i’ve also got my Bronze DofE award and a merit in Grade 4 singing. By the start of year 13 I will also have work experience at a hospital and special needs school. I also got accepted into a summer school for psychology recently. Other than improving my grades I was just wondering if there‘s anything else I could do that’d be useful in applying for a psychology course? I’m trying to get work experience with a psychologist but I understand it’s hard due to confidentiality etc. Thanks
Psychology is an academic degree not a health profession vocational degree. You don’t need work experience and a ps that shows an unrealistic understanding of the possible careers it can lead to can damage your chances.

Rather than worrying about work experience you would be better researching in detail the content of the various degrees on your shortlist. Read about the modules you will study and do some reading into those topics. Showing that you understand what the degree involves and that you have looked into those topics beyond the content of your A levels will improve your chances of an offer.
clw0201
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
Psychology is an academic degree not a health profession vocational degree. You don’t need work experience and a ps that shows an unrealistic understanding of the possible careers it can lead to can damage your chances.

Rather than worrying about work experience you would be better researching in detail the content of the various degrees on your shortlist. Read about the modules you will study and do some reading into those topics. Showing that you understand what the degree involves and that you have looked into those topics beyond the content of your A levels will improve your chances of an offer.
Thanks a lot! I intended to do some further reading after my mocks anyway but I’ll definitely concentrate on it more than trying to find work experience now.
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by clw0201)
Hi,

So I was actually in a similar position to you when I was exploring what degree to study at University. For me personally I used work experience as a way in which to explore which field of psychology I may be most interested in working in, and whether it was the field for me. So I sent a lot of emails, made a lot of phone calls and spoke to a lot of people to secure a few various placements including work in a psychiatric ward, pediatric centre, day-care centre, and other local NHS and community services, which varied from a day to a week. Which for me was great at directing me towards the work you may be interested in doing. However, even looking for work experience and noting this on your PS may benefit you as it may demonstrate that you are interesting and personally exploring what options you can do with it. But remember post-18 there are plenty more opportunities to develop your experience even if you don't manage it before uni!

Other than that, I would agree, read around the subject. Is there an area you are particularly interested in, does a uni do a module/course/programme/placement links within that specific area. For example here at Reading we have great clinical links, which I personally like having when getting placement/work experience in this field.
To find out more about these links, attend open days, search online and just do plenty of research! As you'll discover (hopefully) when you study psychology at Uni, you can never do too much research!

I hope this helps,

Tom
Third Year Psychology and Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (11)
12.79%
I need help researching courses (7)
8.14%
I need help with filling out the application form (5)
5.81%
I need help with my personal statement (35)
40.7%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (22)
25.58%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.33%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.65%

Watched Threads