Turn on thread page Beta

URGENT: Help needed interpreting dress code watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I've been invited to an interview for a place on a business internship programme organised by the 'Saltire Foundation', which is being held at the Scottish Enterprise HQ in Glasgow this Thursday. The format of the session is billed as 'fairly informal' consisting of a series of six 'speed interviews', rather than a one-on-one with an interviewer.

The dress code is 'SMART CASUAL' which seems really ambiguous. I was initially planning to wear a white collared shirt (no tie) and smart jacket teamed with my smartest pair of jeans (Diesel, black raw denim). However, I went into John Lewis today to look at jackets, and the sales assistant advised me that I should be thinking about a full suit with tie. This has made me worried as I don't own a suit and would have to go out tomorrow and buy one, and am reluctant to drop £150+ on attire that I wouldn't really consider 'smart casual'. To be honest I'd feel much more comfortable (and less nervous) in smart jeans, shirt + jacket, but don't want to turn up underdressed either.

Any thoughts or advice would be very much appreciated! Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have smart (not suit though) trousers that arn't jeans? Those would be loads better than jeans imo. I don't think you need a jacket, really. You can wear a smart jumper on top of the shirt which I think would look good.

ReputationRep:
    I really would not read that as full suit and tie. I would think what you were planning (a white collared shirt (no tie) and smart jacket teamed with my smartest pair of jeans) was pretty much perfect, although I maybe would wear something other than denim, but that's just me.

Definately think you should stick to what you were planning though.

ReputationRep:
    Oh how I hate sales people.
    Greedy money-robbing *******s.

Anyway, you wont need a suit.
    Smart jean/pant with a shirt and jumper/jacket should be fine

ReputationRep:
    Well... all the open day interviews ive been to & seen others having interviews for other subjects etc, very rarely have i seen anyone wearing suits at all.

i tihnk you're initial idea would be best personally, and of course they are gonna advise you buy a full suit.. they're trying to sell them!! have no experience of glasgow interviews though so maybe its different

ReputationRep:
    jeans with a smart shirt is fine!

ReputationRep:
    i would wear .. a shirt with some trousers non jean, or a darker pair of jeans

as long as u looked like u made an effort

ReputationRep:
    I'd advise staying away from jeans, even if they are your smartest pair.

A nice shirt, smart trousers, clean shoes, no tie and you'll be fine. If you're worried about being underdressed then just put a tie in your jacket pocket in case you decide you need it.

ReputationRep:
    A suit would be overkill but I'd avoid jeans. Chinos would be better (or suit-style trousers, or possibly newish cords/moleskins), an open-necked shirt and your choice of a jacket or plain jumper, plus clean shoes (not trainers). If the trousers have belt loops, wear a belt (same colour as shoes if possible). Everything should be clean, pressed and in good repair.

ReputationRep:
    You should be able to find something in your wardrobe which would be smart casual. I'd avoid jeans (too casual) but a full suit might be too much. Everything needs to look smart, clean and ironed. Your accessories also need to be in good condition and look neat and tidy (no scuffed shoes or old school bags/rucksacks)
    Here's an idea of an outfit i'd consider to be smart/casual.

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/...4204_541926_-1

with

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/...8562_423748_-1

and maybe a jumper/more casual jacket

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/...4183_423084_-1

with smart black shoes

and a smartish bag and belt e.g.

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/...4104_516718_-1

and

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/...4409_275944_-1

ReputationRep:
    no jeans, black pair of trousers with a nice jumper

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely avoid jeans - all of the lunches/drinks receptions I have gone to as part of the interview process have been quite informal but you would never see anyone in jeans, and some of them have specified no jeans. I'd go with smart trousers and a shirt.

ReputationRep:
    OK thanks for all your replies, that really helped. So the general consensus is no denim, which is fair enough. Don't have any smart trousers with me here at uni so will go out tomorrow and find some. Going to team them with the white shirt + dark jacket combo, but what sort/colour trousers do you recommend? I'm thinking a lighter shade than the jacket, maybe grey or something. Going to have to get some new shoes as well so any suggestions there? Also my flatmate suggested a cardigan instead of a jacket - any thoughts? Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose I always feel you can't go wrong with black trousers! Charcoal/dark grey would be good too. If you'll be wearing the jacket with them (not taking it off at the door) then just make sure the trousers go well with it - so probably don't go too light with the trousers colour.

ReputationRep:
    Charcoal or dark grey trousers have the advantage of looking OK with black or blue. Black leather shoes, probably, and best to break them in tomorrow with thick socks so they don't rub blisters on Thursday. If you're shopping anyway and don't have them with you at uni, a pair of black socks and a clean white handkerchief won't add much to the bill.

I'm going to stop now - I'm starting to sound scarily like someone's mother.

ReputationRep:
    smart trousers and a plain shirt/top?
    black and white seems so dull and ugly. it's almost spring! wear some lighter trousers!
    wide leg+tailoured=yum

asos, as ever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by watermelon sugar)
    black and white seems so dull and ugly. it's almost spring! wear some lighter trousers!
    wide leg+tailoured=yum

asos, as ever
    He'd certainly get noticed wearing that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faywraith)
    He'd certainly get noticed wearing that
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by watermelon sugar)
    wide leg+tailoured=yum

asos, as ever
    Nice, but I think Guy might like something a bit more masculine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loopymeg)
    Nice, but I think Guy might like something a bit more masculine
    Probably, but with the cut of those trousers, the lady looks like she has a penis, so it's not too far to go!

Anyway, I'd say either lightish brown trousers with a dark brown/black/navy jacket, or grey/charcoal trousers with a black jacket myself. I wouldn't choose a jacket and a trouser that are the same colour.

I'd steer clear of cardigans if I were you. Either jacket or v-neck jumper I say

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.