The Student Room Group

Lonely.

Hi everyone,

I'm an 18 year old male; today was my last day of school. The assembly highlighted just how much of a loner I am - everyone was crowded round tables in quiz teams. I literally couldn't find a single table to sit with people so one of the pastoral managers guided me to a team and asked if I could join which felt very undignified. Everyone in the year went to the pub afterwards (it's a tradition). For the first hour, I sat there alone with a pint of beer to myself. Once everyone got a bit tipsy, I did engage in some dialogue (probably more than I had in the entire year). That brief glimpse of human interaction I got from the pub has left me feeling melancholic.

I've made no friends in the 2 years I was at Sixth Form. I probably see what friends I do have about once a month. This level of social isolation cannot be good for me. I just want to feel loved, hug, have meaningful conversations, have a laugh, comfort people etc. These are all things most people take for granted but are seriously deprived in my life because I'm autistic.

I'm sorry if I'm ranting on, I don't even really have a question per se, just want to talk. ):
Reply 1
Aww bless
I'm listening.
Oh god, I relate to this, I’m glad my days of school/sixth form are long over.

I do understand the pain; it is horrible when you feel that you just don’t fit in, no matter how hard you try. It’s great that that was your last day! You can make a fresh start with new people that you meet - whether that be uni or work. In the meantime, I would say work on your self esteem. Volunteering for a few hours a week is also a good call as it helps you gain social skills and feel less shy around people. Since you’re autistic, this may be quite helpful.

Everyone deserves to have someone who cares about them, someone they can hug. You will find that person, or those people, one day. Don’t let school/sixth form put you off; it’s such a small pool of people compared to real life.

May I also recommend seeing a counsellor? They can be amazing to help you work through your feelings of loneliness and low self esteem.
Please don't feel so isolated!! Many people will tell you that their life began after college, myself included. You're at the next stage of your life where you're going to meet a whole array of people! There was a boy at the university that I went to who had autism and honestly he was one of the greatest people I have ever met, he was so inspiring! You should appreciate that you have incredible things to offer the world too!

I don't speak to anyone from high school or college and I had a massive group of friends (or at least I thought I did lol!) But I'm much better for it now, having a few close friends that I see every so often. Mostly, it's our perception of what our life should look like that hurts us but actually what you need to remember is that you are wonderful and this is something that people will see! So have a little Dutch courage and start that conversation!! 😊
Reply 5
Original post by purplepeacock
I'm listening.

Well, I'm certainly appreciative of that. Sometimes that's all you really need...someone to listen to you just to tell the voice in the back of your head that you do matter.
Original post by Nerdcubed
Well, I'm certainly appreciative of that. Sometimes that's all you really need...someone to listen to you just to tell the voice in the back of your head that you do matter.

Well you do matter and you can PM me if you ever want to talk, I can't promise I'll make it all better but I am here for you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending