Driving Instructor..Is this normal?! Watch

squeak
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
mayyybe I do just have nice breasts... :p:

I only changed to a female, because she was very, very reputable, and a family friend so I could trust her, no mates rates though :/
* Catrin *
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Belle-x)
I had my first lesson yesterday and my instructor kinda creeped me out.
He was telling me how if he ever touches my leg or my hand, it's an accident! He said it would be unprofessional for him to do so and therefore if it ever happens, he doesn't mean to. He said if I stay to my side of the car, and he stays to his then we'll get on fine as we're not there for 'that kind of thing'.

It really creeped me out and made me uncomfortable I think I'm going to cancel his lessons and go to a woman instead as I think I'd feel more comfortable...

Anyway, just wondering..Is it normal practise for an intructor to say that?! He told me it was health and safety but I don't know anybody else who's instructor has said that to them! I have to have another lesson with him tomorrow as it was too late to cancel
My instructor said something very similar...bless him lol i think its just to cover his back! Is he from a big company? it may be company policy etc...We just had a bit of a laugh about it and continued he was a good laugh for the best of it...looking forward to pass plus now
Keoje
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd change to a female instructor - That way, in the long run, you won't hold yourself back from learning incase your nervous about the possible pervert next to you.
Barry Scott
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by squeak)
mayyybe I do just have nice breasts... :p:

I only changed to a female, because she was very, very reputable, and a family friend so I could trust her, no mates rates though :/
I personally went for a female instructor at the risk of being perved upon. Luckily, even though she was a member of the opposite sex, she was very professional.
Ashes_to_Ashes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Hasty)
Sounds like you're over-reacting to me.
Ironic for a user called hasty :p:
I agree with Helena, I'd keep him but ditch him if anything else strange happens.
Hasty
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Haha, that made me chuckle.

Yeah, keep him for now
person 34
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Is he fit?
her0n
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you're not comfortable with your instructor for any reason, it is perfectly fine to change.

After all you are the one paying, and if it is going to hamper your progress then why continue with them?
starsilver
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
wtf, yeah you are definitely not overreacting, that would make me feel SO uncomfortable. I reckon a woman intructor would be better, as obv you will learn better when you are in a relaxed/comfortable environment. I think what Helenia said is probably the reason he said it, but still, it seems a little weird!
amy.dd
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If it makes you feel uncomfortable just change, your paying a lot of money and if its going to effect your learning there isn't any point.

Maybe he is just covering his back but I don't think he should ever touch you accidently. I know often at the start people miss the gear stick if they don't look and accidently touch the driving instructor and thats not their fault, my driving instructor told me his pupils do that at least once. But really the instructor should never come into the position where he could accidently touch you.
ZanyZanny
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My instructor said the same to me as something they have to say so if they to touch your leg by accident then you dont get freaked out.
Oddjob39A
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Belle-x)
I had my first lesson yesterday and my instructor kinda creeped me out.
He was telling me how if he ever touches my leg or my hand, it's an accident! He said it would be unprofessional for him to do so and therefore if it ever happens, he doesn't mean to. He said if I stay to my side of the car, and he stays to his then we'll get on fine as we're not there for 'that kind of thing'.

It really creeped me out and made me uncomfortable I think I'm going to cancel his lessons and go to a woman instead as I think I'd feel more comfortable...

Anyway, just wondering..Is it normal practise for an intructor to say that?! He told me it was health and safety but I don't know anybody else who's instructor has said that to them! I have to have another lesson with him tomorrow as it was too late to cancel
I think if you were travelling at speed towards a concrete barricade with little to no breaking distance, the firm grasp of your instructors hairy appendage as he trys to wrestle control of the steering wheel from you would be the least of your worries :p:
Smiley Mike
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by squeak)
I had a creepy instructor, who kept commenting on how seat belts are not designed for women, because they like cut through your cleevage and make your boobs stand out, he paid far too much attention to my breasts when talking about this. i also found out from lads he taught that he would talk about the fit girls he teaches.. bearing in mind this guy is like 60! there were some other things but i cant remember now.

anyway...I changed to a woman, and she was not only a better instructor, but she wasn't a perv :p:
Lol sounds like my instructor steve.... i don't think there was a quewe (spelling?) that we were sat in where he didnt make... ahem... inapproprate jokes. But once i got used to it it didnt become a problem - felt kind of like discussing sex with any adult signifiacntly older than you - awkeward at first, but once you're used to it, you just take it with a pinch of salt, and block it out otherwise.

But seriously, it helps suddenly break the ice -you've got to be comfortable in talking to him and listening to things you dont want to hear, such as MIRRORS, no i said MIRRORS. MIRRORS!!!!!

And they may appear to be not paying attention, but they will stop when you need to concentrate, and if you do **** up, will notice and take control.

And as you progress and you drive the same roads over and over again, you need to find a way to enjoy the many hours that you will spend with them in the car otherwise you will find the lessons boring!
xximstrongerthanthatxx
Report 10 years ago
I had a nice male instructor, he was great..said some weird things like 'i bet you just wanted to see that fit man over there' but it was meant in a joke..

get rid, if your not comfortable you won't learn
FireDeuce
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by AT82)
Unless the car is a Bond Microcar or a MK1 Mini I fail to see how you can touch your leg by accident unless he is fat and takes up two seats. It does sound a tad dodgy for that reason.
I touched my instructors leg once haha, he had his legs stretched out, and i went to put it in reverse, and got his leg instead i was like :|:|
chavvo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
u shud get a gud sense of what is accidental and what isnt - like if he says do an emergency stop and you hit dat brake so hard dat his hand flies off the dash where it was resting and brushes ur leg then that is prob OK, but if say he puts his head btwn ur boobies and refuses to come out, or if say he tries to enter u while u r doing the 3 left hand turn then dat is prob too much. and if he gets u 2 practice the gear changes with his stiffy dat is also a no-no.

and dont think dat the woman instrutors is all ok - wat if u get de lesbian one who is also into the touchin up and things? and also the family freinds are the worst cos its been proved u is most at risk from someone who is known 2 u.

wer i come from the kids all thieve the cars n teach themslves to drive so no worries abt de instructor bloke lol.
x y z
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It sounds to me like he was just having a laugh. If you feel uncomfortable though, you should change.
The Hitchhiker
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If he touches you or not I'd still change as at the end of the day you've got enough to worry about as a learner with traffic and controling the car without feeling even more uneasy about your instructor. I had 4 instructors before i passed. First one left the job, second was almost shouting at me for mistakes and the third kept pulling me over for talks on anything car related for like 15 mins at a time. The fourth is a star however! It's like anything, shop around! You'll find someone who you click with!
layla_1234
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
how did the second lesson go?
I hate male driving instructors and female, actually I only like good ones. i am sure my last female one was a swinger.
Angel83
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
He might not have done anything wrong in the past but some people have been exposed in the media as dirty perv instructors. He might be worried that might happen even if he was innocent, though you certainly wouldn't put ideas into people's heads! I had an instructor who was dopey, and sometimes cut my lesson 10 minutes short then says 2 days before the test I wasn't ready. My mom complained to BSM and says my daughter is doing her test, I passed first time and when I went to book a motorway lesson months later they asked who my old instructor was and said she left good riddance! Make sure you find someone who wants to help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (16)
94.12%
No (1)
5.88%

Watched Threads