Driving Instructor..Is this normal?! Watch

tom_tom_tom
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
my aunt told me about her experinces she had a old pervert that drove her to some country lanes and stopped the car and sat there staring at her for like 5 mins before saying u are quite a catch!

at this point my aunt jumped out of the car and walked home lol
emilina #1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lol if your uncomfortable and want to switch then do, theres nothing stopping you but dont be too sensitive either lol. my male driving instructor hugs me and kisses me (on the cheek i might add) just coz he is like that. dont look too much into it, but if it keeps happening and you really dont like it then change! lol
squeak
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
lol if your uncomfortable and want to switch then do, theres nothing stopping you but dont be too sensitive either lol. my male driving instructor hugs me and kisses me (on the cheek i might add) just coz he is like that. dont look too much into it, but if it keeps happening and you really dont like it then change! lol
if you're comfortable with it, then why are you anon?
Kittennffc
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If his comments make you uncomfortable, change instructors If you've got to have another lesson, then it's a good chance to see how he acts after the initial meeting.

It's quite easy to touch your instructors leg though, I did it! My hand slipped off the gear stick when I change gears and me and the instructor just laughed about it (she was a woman)! I was really worried incase in happened in my test and the instructor though I was trying to feel him up.
Pepe Le Poosh
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think you might be over reeacting. obviously if anything did happen then chnge put in a compaint wtc etc but tbh its probably just his sense of humor. my instructor said something like that to me at the start and i'm a guy! lol.
Speedbird2008
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Eek.

Go with a woman or someone your friends go with... :s
emilina
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by squeak)
if you're comfortable with it, then why are you anon?
lol i did it accidentally :p: the touchpad on my laptop is messed up
*pink_sapphires*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
my instructor said similar things to me on my first lesson and he's told my friend how i have a nice rack. i'm changing instructors now that i've had my 10 hours that i paid for with him!
tis_me_lord
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Kittennffc)
If his comments make you uncomfortable, change instructors If you've got to have another lesson, then it's a good chance to see how he acts after the initial meeting.

It's quite easy to touch your instructors leg though, I did it! My hand slipped off the gear stick when I change gears and me and the instructor just laughed about it (she was a woman)! I was really worried incase in happened in my test and the instructor though I was trying to feel him up.
Haha, thats like my sister. She grabbed her driving instructers crotch one time when she was trying to change gears, she came home completly mortified.

I must say, it never came close to happening to me. The gearstick and passenger crotch arent that close really...
sophisticated
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Geees I had a male instructor who wasnt a perv or a weirdo, just a tad sarcastic at times!
I feel like I got off lightly now!
OP - if the instructor made you feel uncomfortable, don't just wait until he does something you dont like...change now before things might get worse for you.
Not saying they definitely will, but just in case, it will save you more pain in the long run.
Archibald246
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Maybe he's just covering himself.... could have had problems in the past? It is a pretty confined space.
ciara
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by alio~)
Mine said something very very similar!! On my first lesson he was showing me the gear stick and he said 'don't touch my leg instead, or else its £1, £2 if you touch something else'. I said 'what' and he said 'it was a joke'. I kept him and he didn't say anything too creepy for the rest of the lessons but yea get a woman instructor, lol!
Haha that's exactly what mine said, we either had the same instructor or there is some sort of driving instructor joke book!
FyreFight
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My instructor made a joke about me liking shafts when I held onto the hand break too long! OMG am I gonna get raped!?!:?
ßlαcksωαn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Belle-x)
I had my first lesson yesterday and my instructor kinda creeped me out.
He was telling me how if he ever touches my leg or my hand, it's an accident! He said it would be unprofessional for him to do so and therefore if it ever happens, he doesn't mean to. He said if I stay to my side of the car, and he stays to his then we'll get on fine as we're not there for 'that kind of thing'.

It really creeped me out and made me uncomfortable I think I'm going to cancel his lessons and go to a woman instead as I think I'd feel more comfortable...

Anyway, just wondering..Is it normal practise for an intructor to say that?! He told me it was health and safety but I don't know anybody else who's instructor has said that to them! I have to have another lesson with him tomorrow as it was too late to cancel
lmao, what's with all these creepy driver instructor stories recently.
Louise88
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Belle-x)
I had my first lesson yesterday and my instructor kinda creeped me out.
He was telling me how if he ever touches my leg or my hand, it's an accident! He said it would be unprofessional for him to do so and therefore if it ever happens, he doesn't mean to. He said if I stay to my side of the car, and he stays to his then we'll get on fine as we're not there for 'that kind of thing'.

It really creeped me out and made me uncomfortable I think I'm going to cancel his lessons and go to a woman instead as I think I'd feel more comfortable...

Anyway, just wondering..Is it normal practise for an intructor to say that?! He told me it was health and safety but I don't know anybody else who's instructor has said that to them! I have to have another lesson with him tomorrow as it was too late to cancel
My driving instructor had the same talk with me. He explained that there may be times where physical contact will be made and should this happen, it’s an accident. He explained that should he ever have to touch me, he will use his pen to do so. This would keep physical contact to a minimum. He didn’t want anyone, boys or girls, to feel uncomfortable should something happen during a lesson.

I didn’t find it creepy then, and looking back on it now, I still don’t. He didn’t know me, and I certainly didn’t know him. In an environment like that it’s very likely that physical contact will be made. It’s a small space and mistakes can be made. I couldn’t tell you how many mistakes I made which meant he had to take control of the wheel. Sometimes, in that situation, physical contact was made. If something has to be done quickly, anything can happen.

In a situation like that, I never felt uncomfortable after our talk. I knew that when he did take a hold of the wheel and brushed past my leg or whatever, there was nothing to it. He was doing his job and keeping us both safe. It would be easy for someone to say otherwise, don’t you think? This was his job, and he was covering himself by chatting to me about it. There wasn’t anything creepy about it.

My brother and plenty of friends took lessons with him, he’s had the same chat with them all. That’s part of his practice, he makes everyone aware of the physical contact situation. This is his job, he isn’t going to put it in danger.

I think you’re over reacting. I wouldn’t say that he has been in trouble before, I know that most of the people I know who have taken lessons have had the same talk from different instructors. I think it’s quite good he brought it up, he’s covering his back and making you aware of a situation that you might otherwise be uncomfortable with.

It was a serious subject, he made a joke about it to lighten the mood. I doubt there is anything more to it. My instructor did the same, I thought nothing of it. I realised he was just trying to put me at ease. It's hard enough taking your first lesson never mind aproaching a subject along those lines.

Take a few lessons with him, see how you feel. If you’re still uncomfortable then see someone else. Don’t take what he said the wrong way, I don’t believe he was out to make you feel that way, quite the opposite really.
pink-marshmallow
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
its policy. When i started my lessons with BSM, my male instructor read out a list of company policy rule things, where it states the instructor should only touch the learner in an emergency.
it sounds like you're over-reacting.
I didnt feel uncomfortable when being told that, because it makes sense. Maybe the way YOUR instructor said it was a bit silly, but there's no need to go all melodramatic about it
BIG BAD BOB
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think the women on this thread are just prudes!!
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by AT82)
Unless the car is a Bond Microcar or a MK1 Mini I fail to see how you can touch your leg by accident unless he is fat and takes up two seats. It does sound a tad dodgy for that reason.

The current g/f has a Corsa C.
Its like riding in a shoebox. She regularly strokes my knee when reaching for the gearstick.
devilgirl999
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
sounds like hes been accused of sexual harassment in the past and is trying to provide a reason if it happens again so you dont also accuse him
BIG BAD BOB
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
When I had a female driving instructor it was the other way around and I was the one perving on her, tho she did used to wear low cut top teh dirty biatch, she dumped me in the end... epic fail.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (169)
18.59%
No (554)
60.95%
Not really bothered about them (186)
20.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed