A-Level Psychology - how do you remember evaluation points? Watch

Criminalis
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
As the title says, how do you remember evaluation points?

Also, what structure do you use for 16 markers?
TSR Jessica
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
Satori Tendō
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Criminalis)
As the title says, how do you remember evaluation points?

Also, what structure do you use for 16 markers?
so for the structure, my teacher is an examiner and he stresses the importance of making the a01 shorter than evaluation because thats how the marks are broken down. If you write equivalent amounts you'll lose marks and spend unnecessary time on a01.
so I pick only 2 points for a01, if theres a scenario its 2 relevant points, if theres no scenario then any 2 paragraphs you can explain nicely in detail, or even 3 brief ones. I keep my paragraphs up to 7 to 8 lines (spend only 15-20 minutes on a 16 marker)
with the evaluation points, i do 4 well explained paragraphs.
We have a thing where for the evaluation points there's a certain structure,you say first 'a limitation is...' ' an advantage is....' then state your evidence (studies) then explain what part of that is a limitation or advantage to the theory. Then summarise and link.

In terms of remembering evaluation points, im sure theres over 400 but there are many that are the same like' causation/correlation' ' research support' so in reality there's not that many.

Instead of remembering whole paragraphs. I fully understand it first then associated one word or phrase with the evaluation paragraph. This word will trigger the memory of the evaluation point. So once I have my 4 words for my 4 evaluation points. I make a sentence out of it.

for example for psychopathology behavioural approach to explaining phobia, the four evaluation points i want to remember would go somthing like:' good spiders avoid traumatising little babies'
Good (the two process model has Good explanatory power)
Spiders ( The approach Does not take into account the evolutionary role in the development of phobias/ spiders and snakes are commonly feared)
Avoid ( alternative explanation for avoidance behaviour)
Traumatising (not all phobias are due to traumatic happenings like the theory suggests)
little babies ( Little Albert ethical issues/ reputation of psychology)

From these you can write whole paragraphs!

Then all i need to do is memorise one unique sentence for each topic. So if theres 9 topics in Memory or whatever, you only need to know 9 sentences that'll trigger troves of information!
10cking
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
To answer the structure of the essay I usually write my AO1 as concisely as possible, but keep it detailed so i usually end up with 2 fairly average sized paragraphs. For A03 I try to get 4-6 evaluation points depending on how much time I have left to write. I start with the point, give evidence (if I remember it) and then explain.

Personally I rarely remember the evaluation points... I will usually 'make them up', but this does not work for everyone. If you know your Research methods and your issues and debates you can usually come up with several points and explain them. If I cant remember any 'evidence' I usually end up with a slightly lower mark of about 12-14/16 which still isn't awful, but isn't ideal. I will definitely try to use the person above me's tip for remembering them as much as I can these next few days, because that really is helpful.
Criminalis
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by Satori Tendō)
so for the structure, my teacher is an examiner and he stresses the importance of making the a01 shorter than evaluation because thats how the marks are broken down. If you write equivalent amounts you'll lose marks and spend unnecessary time on a01.
so I pick only 2 points for a01, if theres a scenario its 2 relevant points, if theres no scenario then any 2 paragraphs you can explain nicely in detail, or even 3 brief ones. I keep my paragraphs up to 7 to 8 lines (spend only 15-20 minutes on a 16 marker)
with the evaluation points, i do 4 well explained paragraphs.
We have a thing where for the evaluation points there's a certain structure,you say first 'a limitation is...' ' an advantage is....' then state your evidence (studies) then explain what part of that is a limitation or advantage to the theory. Then summarise and link.

In terms of remembering evaluation points, im sure theres over 400 but there are many that are the same like' causation/correlation' ' research support' so in reality there's not that many.

Instead of remembering whole paragraphs. I fully understand it first then associated one word or phrase with the evaluation paragraph. This word will trigger the memory of the evaluation point. So once I have my 4 words for my 4 evaluation points. I make a sentence out of it.

for example for psychopathology behavioural approach to explaining phobia, the four evaluation points i want to remember would go somthing like:' good spiders avoid traumatising little babies'
Good (the two process model has Good explanatory power)
Spiders ( The approach Does not take into account the evolutionary role in the development of phobias/ spiders and snakes are commonly feared)
Avoid ( alternative explanation for avoidance behaviour)
Traumatising (not all phobias are due to traumatic happenings like the theory suggests)
little babies ( Little Albert ethical issues/ reputation of psychology)

From these you can write whole paragraphs!

Then all i need to do is memorise one unique sentence for each topic. So if theres 9 topics in Memory or whatever, you only need to know 9 sentences that'll trigger troves of information!
Thanks! We've been taught to do:

AO1
AO1
AO3 (end with 'this is a strength/weakness because')
Satori Tendō
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Criminalis)
Thanks! We've been taught to do:

AO1
AO1
AO3 (end with 'this is a strength/weakness because'
Yes thats a strong essay structure, good luck on your exams!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (129)
17.97%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.17%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (123)
17.13%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (104)
14.48%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.75%
How can I be the best version of myself? (219)
30.5%

Watched Threads