The Student Room Group

To all Y11s doing their GCSEs currently.

Hi.

I'm in Year 12 now - did my GCSE exams last year and did pretty well in them. Just wanted to say, congratulations if you feel the exams have gone well so far and I hope you can keep it up, and to those of you who've been for whatever reason disappointed with how they've gone, it really isn't the end of the world (that's a cliché for a reason!). As long as you've worked hard and you know personally that you've tried your best and couldn't have done any more, then the way I see it, the final result doesn't really matter.

Also, the feeling when you finish your final exam is great; seems like a huge weight has just been lifted off your shoulders and you can just relax for 2 whole months! So just make sure you keep going for this last part and then you'll be able to thoroughly enjoy your long break.

Good luck with the rest of your exams!
(edited 5 years ago)
bump
thank uu this acc helps my motivation
Your nickname makes me laugh. It just reminds of how much my brain has worked, and how I haven't accumulated lactic acid in it from all the stress
GCSE Triple Science Higher student by the way :smile:
Original post by latic_lad
Hi.

I'm in Year 12 now - did my GCSE exams last year and did pretty well in them. Just wanted to say, congratulations if you feel the exams have gone well so far and I hope you can keep it up, and to those of you who've been for whatever reason disappointed with how they've gone, it really isn't the end of the world (that's a cliché for a reason!). As long as you've worked hard and you know personally that you've tried your best and couldn't have done any more, then the way I see it, the final result doesn't really matter.

Also, the feeling when you finish your final exam is great; seems like a huge weight has just been lifted off your shoulders and you can just relax for 2 whole months!

Ahhh thanks so much for your words they're really reassuring. What are some of your tips for keeping a clear and calm mind in the exam hall, and studying effectively?
Original post by howtochangename
Your nickname makes me laugh. It just reminds of how much my brain has worked, and how I haven't accumulated lactic acid in it from all the stress
GCSE Triple Science Higher student by the way :smile:

Haha - don't know if you're a football fan but the 'latic' part actually comes from the nickname for the club I support, Wigan Athletic :smile:.
Haha - don't know if you're a football fan but the 'latic' part actually comes from the nickname for the club I support, Wigan Athletic :smile:.

Ah. I'm terrible at football and with sports news in general so I didn't realise. It's good to have a passion in something though :smile:
Original post by goldfvnch
Ahhh thanks so much for your words they're really reassuring. What are some of your tips for keeping a clear and calm mind in the exam hall, and studying effectively?

In terms of keeping a calm mind I would just keep reminding yourself that, although exams are important, whatever happens in that exam hall, there will always be another way of achieving what you want; it might just take longer than you originally thought. For me, I found the immediate build-up to the exam more stressful than the exam itself, what with everyone talking about it and how well/badly prepared they were, etc. It's so easy to blow the whole thing out of proportion, but you need to keep perspective. Therefore I would suggest that although it is difficult, try not to go over your revision notes/books immediately before the exam, and don't ask your friends to 'test' you, as this will likely stress you out more. Try to talk about something else if possible, maybe sports or your plans for the summer?

When you're in the exam itself, if you're doing a science exam for example, try and look for a couple of nice 1 mark questions that you're confident you know the answer to and get the answer down quickly. Knowing that you've answered something will build your confidence and help you get into the swing of things. I remember when I did my first GCSE exam my pen was shaking I was that nervous, but once I had the first few answers down it just felt like an end of topic test!

In terms of studying effectively, I don't know about you but when I revise, I find the hardest part is getting started. Once I'm 5-10 minutes in, I'm usually all right. So, I'd suggest that at first, you tell yourself you'll only do a session of 10 minutes, which will make it seem more manageable. Then, once you've done that, you'll have momentum and won't want to stop. The key is just to work solidly for those 10 minutes. Perhaps keep potential distractions like phones, etc, out of the room. Oh, and take regular breaks.

Hope this helps. :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
bump
I mean the idea of "as long as youve done your best" that youre fine is sort of unhelpful. No matter how much revision or preparation i do, i could have always done more and even if i had done the maximum i could possibly still, i could have still done it differently
Original post by BlueCactus16
thank uu this acc helps my motivation

No worries. Hope you do well.
Reply 11
Hi.

Also, the feeling when you finish your final exam is great; seems like a huge weight has just been lifted off your shoulders and you can just relax for 2 whole months! So just make sure you keep going for this last part and then you'll be able to thoroughly enjoy your long break.

cheers fella what did you get for gcses out of curiosity
Original post by stoneroses2828
cheers fella what did you get for gcses out of curiosity

7A*s, 1A, 1B.
Original post by Nihilisticb*tch
I mean the idea of "as long as youve done your best" that youre fine is sort of unhelpful. No matter how much revision or preparation i do, i could have always done more and even if i had done the maximum i could possibly still, i could have still done it differently

First of all, I know exactly what you mean as I felt the same way as you last year.

Remember, though, doing more revision doesn't always guarantee that you'll do your best. You could put in 12 hours a day and by the time the exams come round be totally burnt out and so not perform to your full potential because of this. When you say you could have done things differently, this is true, but I think you just have to take into account that you're no-one is perfect - you try the revision method that you think will work and sometimes it comes off and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes you won't get it right but that doesn't mean you haven't done your best. You do the best you can with the knowledge and resources available to you at the time; it can't be expected that at 15/16 years old you will have absolutely perfected your revision technique.
(edited 5 years ago)
bump
Hi.

Aww people like you are the best people! Thank you so much
Original post by xxlucyrowexx
Aww people like you are the best people! Thank you so much

No problem. Good luck in your exams! :smile:
Original post by Nihilisticb*tch

That's what I was thinking. If you try your best but fail half your GCSEs or they're low enough to prevent you from doing what you want ,the result does matter :s-smilie:

But it's a nice gesture OP :smile:
No problem. Good luck in your exams! :smile:

Thanks!!!

Quick Reply

Latest