The Student Room Group

Re: pathway to med school

Can anyone advise me as the most accessible pathway to a uk med school? I am 43 years old and hold a 2:1 business degree and a certificate in teaching from university of Ulster . I am looking for good advice not loads of links to admissions guidelines etc . What do I need to do? Thank you all very much
Bit confused what you're asking for - essentially you just have to apply via the same route as everybody else, which is through UCAS. To decide which Universities to apply for you need to consider your own situation in terms of location, qualifications etc. and I guess check their websites to make sure you meet their entrance requirements - including sitting any additional assessments such as the UKCAT or BMAT. This will at some point involve reading the admission guidelines for the specific Universities you are most interested in, as this is not uniform across all medical schools. I should also mention that most places will still ask you for A Level Chemistry or Biology back in the day (again need to check with individual places, they all publish their criteria online). I don't know what additional advice you're looking for.
Well as you're a graduate you can apply for GEM but it's more competitive than the 5 year courses. And some places won't ask for A Level requirements.
Reply 3
Presume you will want to apply to queens, they’re also only 4K a year lol. It’s an undergrad medical course but you can do it as a graduate entry, around 1/3 or more of year are graduates, plus queens likes grads.

Only thing would be that business isn’t a science degree and therefore mightn’t be eligible for entry. You’d need to check up on the entry requirements though. You’ll need AAB at A level if you are ok with the business degree as it’s a 2.1
Will also need to sit ukcat and have work experience.

I think it’s great that you want to do medicine, however you are 43 - say you get into next years entry so starting 2019 - you’ll be 44. By the time you graduate you will be 49. Then you have 2 foundation years which are compulsory before starting speciality training. So that’s 51.
If you do GP it’s a further 3 years (the shortest!) so you won’t be a fully qualified GP until 54.

If you want to do a speciality then it’s 2 core training years after foundation as well, so you won’t actually be working in your speciality until 54, perhaps making consultant level when your 59/60.

By all means go for it, but just be aware that the hard work continues after medical school and you mightn’t want to spend your 40s/50s in meducation.

Quick Reply