Maths with management and finance...? Watch

montyr
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi there,

I'm just wondering what grades (GCSE, AS and predicted) people have got who have been offered places on the Maths with management and finance course and also in what subjects?

I got 2 A*s 8 A's and a B at gcse and already have 2 Full A's in English lit. and History and am this year studying Maths (full A-level) and Psychology AS (merely for something to do). I also have a C in French AS from years ago (which I prefer not to mention,,,I got an E on my oral hence the C :P) Oh and I got 92 95 and 75 on C1-3 in january and am taking C4, S1 and D1 in the summer...

I had initially applied for Econ but am considering declining my offers to try and get onto this course at Kings. I've already emailed them and they've said they would consider an application and that the fact my PS is aimed at econ doesn't matter.

I was browsing the kings offers thread and noticed a few people with offers who had taken FM and I don't have that, whihc is my concern...I know they don't list it as necessary but obviously they'll choose someone with it over myself.

Also the reason my A-levels are a bit disjointed is because I had a serious accident at the end of yr 12 (during exams) and also missed a year, returned last yr and finished English and History and then did Maths this year.

So yeah, your replies with the above info would be appreciated as I'm wanting to gauge my chances as a) I like the look of the course, b) it's in London and c) It's kings...

Thanks, Ryan
Frater
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ive got 2 A's, 5 C's at GCSE. UUD at AS (I really bad hayfever which made me ill) Kings was very nice . I got in for maths Bsc. Offer AABE 7.0 IELTS
montyr
Rep:
?
(Original post by Frater)
Ive got 2 A's, 5 C's at GCSE. UUD at AS (I really bad hayfever which made me ill) Kings was very nice . I got in for maths Bsc. Offer AABE 7.0 IELTS
Although presumably you have extenuating circumstances? Especially as she said they don't use your PS for maths apps.?
Frater
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Weird I didn't know that, but I did inform all my universities prior to it (which was supported in my reference). You should have no problem, but what are the economics unis?
risi
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
Hi Ryan. I got the same GCSE results as you weird , and i also missed a year (personal). i received an offer AAB on 9th of January to study MMF. In AS i got ABB in maths chem and bio (did other AS subjects but dropped them after the first year).

I know that they do not need further maths, because i enquired thoroughly before applying due to my unusual situation.

The offer they made me is A in maths, and AB chem and bio.
montyr
Rep:
?
Have offers from City (B in maths) and Reading (C in maths) although don't want to go to either...I'm not sure why I applied to them...and am waiting to hear from Warwick although my thoughts are withdraw my app. from them and then apply to KCL through extra.

I was considering applying for a Maths course instead of Econ but because it had been 2 years since I'd studied Maths it was a bit risky but now I'm further into the course and really enjoying it, plus on course for an A it's something that definitely interests me. And this course looks absolutely perfect for me to be honest, particularly with the 3rd year being based on financial maths and me aiming for a career in finance.

EDIT: O right cool! Ahh thats promising! I think I'll take the risk and withdraw my app. from Warwick then

Thanks for the replies
Frater
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Go for it then pal, especcially since maths at kings isnt really over subscibed. You should be able to get a place, and even if it doesn't work out, you might be offered another maths related coruse at king's.
montyr
Rep:
?
I'll email the admissions officer one last time and then take the plunge

Fingers crossed!!

One other concern, which I think led to a couple of Econ. rejections, was the fact I have a sneaky suspicion I was predicted a B for Maths on my ucas form as at the time of predictions being made I was starting A-level from scratch and hadn't done Maths for 2 years. So I may point this out in my email!

Thanks, Ryan.
risi
Report 10 years ago
Hope it works out for you. Wish you all the best.

Btw, the person you should be in contact with at King's is David Solomon, very understanding, although pretty strict when it comes to meeting your offer.

Just make your situation clear.
montyr
Rep:
?
O right! I've been in contact with Joanne Cooke?
Frater
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Joanne is the one to speak to, not David Soloman as far as I know. She is in charge of Undergraduate admission.
montyr
Rep:
?
Sweet

Cheers!
montyr
Rep:
?
Application sent
Frater
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Good luck pal!
risi
Report 10 years ago
Yes, Good Luck mate.
montyr
Rep:
?
Thanks
montyr
Rep:
?
Bit of an update just to calm my nerves more than anything :P

It's been 2 weeks now and I've not heard yet!
risi
Report 10 years ago
I waited 2 months. But did Joanne Cooke or whoever you talked to, say that if you don't hear back from us in 2-3 weeks, to get in contact?

Wait until the 31st and then contact them.
montyr
Rep:
?
No she didn't. My last contact with her was just a long email with everything she needed to know in it and I said that I needed to withdraw my app. from some other places and then my app. would be with them. Nobody replied to that email, I've not even had confirmation that they have my application...

We'll see I guess
risi
Report 10 years ago
Oooh well you should ask for a confirmation at least. I would.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (281)
27.5%
No (741)
72.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed