Another your views on the benefit system Watch

Titch89
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by h82think)
Any suggestions how the govenment can help people off benefits? (I am interested in peoples' views )
Stop making it so that if you're on benefits, everything (prescriptions, rent, council tax, etc) gets paid for you.

Benefitsare supposedly the minimum you need to live on without the stuff I mentioned above, yet I know of people who claim several benefits adn therefore can get anything up to £800 a month.
death.drop
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by h82think)
Any suggestions how the govenment can help people off benefits? (I am interested in peoples' views )
make people better off working than they are on jobseekers.
have courses and/or apprenticeships to achieve qualifications and/or to raise self esteem for the long term unemployed. (6+ months)
workers in the job center should actually help you find a job and help you with CVs and interview techniques instead of treating you like you don't even want a job.
GingerMarshmallow
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Titch89)
I know of someone who said they'd rather go on benefits because they're only left with roughly a qarter of their wages. (that's after tax & travel)
Everybody's left with just a fraction of their wages, I don't think that condones basically cheating the benefits system. I think that then there is more of a problem with our taxing and employment etc, it's still an abuse of a system out there to benefit those who CAN'T work, it's not for those who could earn money off other people doing nothing for no good reason
Titch89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Oddjob39A)
I like the 'old' New Liberal notion (i.e. Lloyd George) of a 'social service state' which provides a safety net and even then; only after contributions.
So what about the people who can't work, yet haven't paid any contributions? Or do they just starve and live on the streets?
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think maybe, instead of giving people a lump sum of cash to do whatever they like with, there could be some kind of voucher system which would only allow people to buy essentials, and then a very small cash allowance for the things that they couldn't get a voucher for. If people want luxuries in life, they can get a job. Benefit money shouldn't be spent on alcohol and Ipods, etc.
Titch89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think they should stop giving money to teenagers who have babies - I don't see why we should pay for them to have a child. if they can't afford to have one, then they shouldn't have one. I honestly don't see why they can't work either? My mum always worked - even when my dad was was away with the navy.
death.drop
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think they should stop giving money to teenagers who have babies - I don't see why we should pay for them to have a child. if they can't afford to have one, then they shouldn't have one. I honestly don't see why they can't work either? My mum always worked - even when my dad was was away with the navy.
they can't work because they have to look after the baby. childcare would cost more than what they earned in the first place. not to mention many nurseries just aren't safe.

i honestly think if they gave the same benefits to under 25s that they do to over 25s then fewer young people would have kids.

they should introduce affordable childcare as well so that people can actually afford to go to work.
Titch89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by death.drop)
they can't work because they have to look after the baby. childcare would cost more than what they earned in the first place. not to mention many nurseries just aren't safe.
There's such thing as working tax credit for people who have children and it pays for child care.

I honestly don't see how having a child prevents someone working - I know plenty of people where both the parents work.

i honestly think if they gave the same benefits to under 25s that they do to over 25s then fewer young people would have kids.
How would that prevent people having children?:confused:
death.drop
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There's such thing as working tax credit for people who have children and it pays for child care.

I honestly don't see how having a child prevents someone working - I know plenty of people where both the parents work.
I know my brothers girlfriend could get working tax credit but it wouldn't pay the total cost of childcare. there's limited care for the under 3's in my area and it's extremely expensive because the carers only look after 3 babies at a time.
once her baby's 3 years old she can send it to the local nursery and the cost will cover that.
she's really not choosing to stay at home and not work. she loved her job and hates being at home all day with no money to go out and do anything.

How would that prevent people having children?:confused:
it would prevent people having children because you basically can't survive if you're under 25, even if you're working full time. if you have a baby, you then get enough money to survive. I have friends who have considered having kids because of that reason so I know it happens.
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Because the child didn't choose to be born, maybe.
death.drop
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by no hero in her sky)
Because the child didn't choose to be born, maybe.
quite, you're not paying the mother to have a baby - you're giving the baby a decent standard of life.
Titch89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by death.drop)
quite, you're not paying the mother to have a baby - you're giving the baby a decent standard of life.
Isn't that the same thing, pretty much?:confused:
death.drop
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
no. the idea is that the mother spends the money on the baby. she shouldn't benefit from the money (other than that she can feed her baby etc)

unfortunately people abuse the system and don't give the baby everything it needs so they can have what they want.

I know it's all just opinion but think about what would happen if the money wasn't there for people who genuinely need it and would use it in the right way.
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No, because the baby has already been born by the time the parent gets benefits for it, and not giving them benefits won't make the baby go away.

Do you not think that babies of teenage parents deserve the same standard of life as babies of adult parents?
Titch89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
And whose to say the mother will spend the money on other things? If they want a baby, then they should pay or it like everyone else has to.
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
And whose to say the mother will spend the money on other things? If they want a baby, then they should pay or it like everyone else has to.
So why should non-teenage parents get benefits? You said:

I think they should stop giving money to teenagers who have babies
If you don't think that any parents should get benefits, why did you specifically say teenagers? :confused:

And what happens if the parent doesn't "pay for it like everyone else"? We should just let the baby rot?
Fluent in Lies
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How much does a glass of tap water cost?
Titch89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by no hero in her sky)
Do you not think that babies of teenage parents deserve the same standard of life as babies of adult parents?
I never said they shouldn't. All I said was that they should have to work and pay to bring up their own child. I don't see why tax payers should do it.
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I never said they shouldn't. All I said was that they should have to work and pay to bring up their own child. I don't see why tax payers should do it.
And if they don't?
death.drop
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i'm sure you'd have a very different attitude if you wanted a baby but were on low income.

i'm personally glad that we have the benefit system that we do. It would be better if it worked how it was intended to (Without people cheating it) but i'm really glad that my taxes go someway to making people's lives a little easier.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1618)
79.2%
Leave (425)
20.8%

Watched Threads