Imperial or Cambridge? Watch

Weezy F
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by azertyq)
so basically the salaries won't really defer between somebody who went to Imperial or Cambridge ?
Correct. People choose Cambridge over Imperial simply on the grounds of prestige. Cambridge simply cannot be matched. Even the best US unis couldn't match Cambridge on prestige.
Gimperial
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You're saying Harvard cant match Cambridge on prestige :rolleyes:
Weezy F
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by wais)
You're saying Harvard cant match Cambridge on prestige :rolleyes:
Nope. No chance. The greats went to Cambridge. Prestige wise, Cambridge is at the top. Look at Cambridge's Part III Tripos, has to be the best taught qualification in the world.
HCD
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Weezy F)
Nope. No chance. The greats went to Cambridge. Prestige wise, Cambridge is at the top. Look at Cambridge's Part III Tripos, has to be the best taught qualification in the world.
Quick, run before spencer_smith gets here!
billydisco
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Goldman sachs technology internships are all reserved for Imperial students first, then once Imperial has finished filling up as many places as it can- the rest are offered.

Two years ago Imperial told GS the students which were applying and GS came back asking 'is that all? Can you send anymore before we open the places to the other universities?'
Weezy F
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by billydisco)
Goldman sachs technology internships are all reserved for Imperial students first, then once Imperial has finished filling up as many places as it can- the rest are offered.

Two years ago Imperial told GS the students which were applying and GS came back asking 'is that all? Can you send anymore before we open the places to the other universities?'
Interesting :hmmm: Whats the pay like in technology :ninja:
billydisco
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Interesting :hmmm: Whats the pay like in technology :ninja:
I dont know to be honest- i think for starting full time its around 25-30k, but it doesnt rise as steeply as FO (front office). Its definitely a more stable career though.....
xinolisss
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why not oxford?
Weezy F
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by xinolisss)
Why not oxford?
Tbh Cambridge will always have an edge over Oxford because of it's dominance in science and mathematics. In History advancements in science has always been the key decider in judging universities, It's why science uni's always do well in league tables. I'd place Harvard ahead of Oxford, personally.
xaxa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I dont know to be honest- i think for starting full time its around 25-30k, but it doesnt rise as steeply as FO (front office). Its definitely a more stable career though.....
For an Imperial Computing graduate, add 10k to that.
Gimperial
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Cambridge prestige is NOT as big as harvard, not in present times. Historically yes, cambridge is a LOT older and had some very very prominent allumni, but as I said, that was in the past, its a lot different now
Gimperial
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That figure looks pretty ****e compared to FO, but it wasnt always like this. I remmember reading somewhere that before the net bubble burst, techs were getting paid as much, and in soem cases more, than traders and sales.
Weezy F
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by wais)
Cambridge prestige is NOT as big as harvard, not in present times. Historically yes, cambridge is a LOT older and had some very very prominent allumni, but as I said, that was in the past, its a lot different now
Ok i can't be bothered to argue.
The J-Man
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
First of all, Cambridge is not as high and mighty as you think. Yes the tripos is a very good system, but that is not to say Harvards's system is not also good. I think it is a bit ignorant to say cambridge's prestige is unrivalled.

To the OP, it depends what you like. If you prefer London life abnd lots of international students then go to imperial. If you want to mix it up, live a "quiet" and less expensive student life then go to cambridge. Degree wise I would say they both unlock the same doors but Cambridge would have a very slight edge, i.e. if two people applied for the same job and they both had the exact same credentials the "oxbridge factor" would play a part. Hope this helps.
Bober02
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Who would you say gets better starting salary after graduation - Cambridge or Imperial students?
shootbangfire
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Overall, I think Imperial is second in terms of starting pay. But Cambridge includes Arts students...
Gimperial
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yea, second to LSE.

Oxbridge are pulled down by arts students.
azertyq
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Is a first degree of Imperial better than a 2.1 of Cambridge?
xaxa
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Almost certainly.
(e.g. when applying for a PhD at one of the best universities in the world, the Imperial 1st would be better than the Cambridge 2.1 -- but as with all these things, other factors would be important too, such as previous work).
DeadLine
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I will give you slightly different question - is Imperial 1st equal to Cambridge 1st (and lower ranks to lower ranks)? Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1618)
79.12%
Leave (427)
20.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise