Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Not equal depending on subject.

ReputationRep:
    We are talking about same subject of course (in this case computing)...

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the manager thats hiring you, but generally most managers would think Cabridge > Imperial, except Goldman Sachs tech :P

ReputationRep:
    I think in this case there's much more to worry about than which degree is 'better' -- the manager knows he has two candidates with excellent degrees, so is going to look for something else to decide between them -- e.g. past work experience, what the main focus of any major projects they did were, any extra-curricular responsibilities etc.

Big companies that take lots of graduates would employ both!

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like sweet melody to me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wais)
    Depends on the manager thats hiring you, but generally most managers would think Cabridge > Imperial, except Goldman Sachs tech :P
    If a manager did not know that Imperial => Cambridge for Computing then they would have issues.....

ReputationRep:
    Not really. It only takes a few bad experiences for a manager to stop liking a university all together

I guess it might be easier to talk to clients after interacting with artsy fartsy students all the time in Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    What about Physics?
    And what about Physics at Imperial College or at ETH Zurich?

ReputationRep:
    Imperial anything > ETH.

For IB, thats another matter. If you can pick up a few languages while in Switzerland, speak it fluently, then you might be on par with an Imperial graduate if you do well in your degree. I only base this on the view of a Goldman Sachs MD who came to our school, telling us that being able to speak in the clients language is extremely helpful.

ReputationRep:
    OMG i hate this so much. if people actually did the research i think most would agree imperial is better for career prospects than oxbridge unles you want to be a researcher. look in the times 100 best grad recruiters and youl see that while imperial is always there for the big boys half the time oxford isnt and sometimes neither is cambridge. now i shall give a few links that i gave earier today to someone else so that people can really see that they should be asking "is cambridge as good as imperial for a job in IB" (just an example) rather than the other way around.explore fully as its not just the pages linked to that are of interest. also note that the new dubai uni paid imperial 50mil+ to design its courses in Chemistry, Chem eng and materials science. the only UK uni it asked. all others were american (caltech, berkely etc). im not going into academia so i havnt really looked into that much but i guarantee Imperial is right there with Ox and Camb. Also try calculating the scores in the uni tables without student satisfaction included ;D. imperial =1 or 2 i cant memba. i can give many more links if you're interested.

this says it all: "The contact information listed below is from employers who have specifically stated an interest in Imperial students."

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/careers/s...mployercontact

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/careers/s...ment/programme

http://www.designlondon.net/content.php?c=13

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/entrepren...lenge/sponsors

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/entrepreneurship

http://www.imperialentrepreneurs.com/blog/

http://www.imperialinnovations.co.uk...p=2&Itemid=121

http://www.imperialinnovations.co.uk...p=3&Itemid=124

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/tanaka/co...centrecruiters

I am not biased. i applied to Imperial, Ox, UCL,Southampton and Durham and I chose Imperial after a massive amount of research. I chose ox over cambridge because the said business school has the leading social entrepeneurs program (in the world) and the fact that david deutsche and penrose are at ox but otherwise id have chosen camb due to the nokia nanotech lab and because it has better industrial connections (nothing on imperials). thing is, Imperial trumps both those oxbridge aspects combined with the LCN (lond nano centre-shared with UCL) and the Tanaka business school.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer Imperial so I don't want to argue, but do you realise that all this links lead to Imperial/Imperial biased website?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeadLine)
    I prefer Imperial so I don't want to argue, but do you realise that all this links lead to imperial website?
    ...yes?whats the problem?im highlighting some of the things that made me choose Imperial. Im not linking to opinions or something that obviously wouldnt be credible coming directly from the object of some article. They are links to key apsects of Imperial that are unquestionably better than anything the competition has (or as is generally the case, doesnt have).

ReputationRep:
    As I said, I don't disagree. But posting "prospects" of some uni and saying it's definitely better sounds little weird to me. Anyway, I think you are right...

ReputationRep:
    As I said, I don't disagree. But posting "prospects" of some uni and saying it's definitely better sounds little weird to me. Anyway, I think you are right...
    prospects? sorry to be so pushy on this but i made a point of giving links rather than my own opinions for PRECISELY THIS REASON. the links are HARD EVIDENCE. FACTS. not prospects, opinions or anything else subject to misinterpretation/personal skew.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solo2wolf)
    prospects? sorry to be so pushy on this but i made a point of giving links rather than my own opinions for PRECISELY THIS REASON. the links are HARD EVIDENCE. FACTS. not prospects, opinions or anything else subject to misinterpretation/personal skew.
    Imperial is worldclass, but Cambridge > Imperial, get over it.

ReputationRep:
    It's OK. Just don't forget not all links are objective. I would bet I could find some links on Cambrigde website saying somehing completely else...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weezy F)
    why because you say so? because of league tables?then imperial was better than ox in 2001 and 2002. because of the "prestige"?prestige is all to often just the misguided opinion of unimportant people. the people who matter (industry) think imperial grads are worth spending a fortune sponsoring, advertising jobs in graduate magazines to, giving countless talks and presentations to, giving direct contact details to,and most importanty giving the most money (of any UK uni) to for research. i love oxbridge and the great intellectuals they produce. infact i only wish john maynard keynes was here today to sort out another financial crisis but i have made damn sure i didnt make a mistake in choosing Imperial over other world class institutions and i want to give others the chance to make an informed decision in the future. most people immediatly think oxbridge = best for everythink. they dont think carefully about the fact that your not at a uni your at a college and thus if you really insist that great institutions cant be equal then neither can colleges or the lecturers that teach in them.

ReputationRep:
    It's OK. Just don't forget not all links are objective. I would bet I could find some links on Cambrigde website saying somehing completely else...
    well not like "we have this"" when really they dont lol. id still find it REAAALY hard to believe that a top uni is publishing "completely" false anything other than some research or something but thats peer reviewed before it gets to that stage. im not very sceptical of claims that x company expressed desire to recruit imperial grads as a false claim would be VERY bad for imperials rep in all circles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weezy F)
    Not for engineering, get over it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 3, 2008
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.