Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Depends on subject, but in mine we have about 1 tutorial / 2 lectures for each course. The tutorials usually have 8 PhD's and 3rd / 4th years standing around along with the lecturer.

We also have "personal" math and programming tutorials, 2 hours a week, which consist of 6 students, one academic and one "undergraduate teaching assistant".

There is also your "personal" tutor, who takes care of "pastoral" stuff, such as writing your refrences etc. Group of 3, but you wont be talking to this guy much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wais)
    Depends on subject, but in mine we have about 1 tutorial / 2 lectures for each course. The tutorials usually have 8 PhD's and 3rd / 4th years standing around along with the lecturer.
    Only PhDs in these tutorials.
    It's just lab sessions and the extra lunchtime sessions that have some 3/4th years.

We also have "personal" math and programming tutorials, 2 hours a week, which consist of 6 students, one academic and one "undergraduate teaching assistant".
    My friends in 3rd and 4th year all reckon the UTA system is good (it's only in its second year), and so do the lecturers who've asked us about it.

I think the small groups tutorials in 1st year were pretty useful -- it helped me to understand the work more anyway. How useful the large tutorials were depended on the course.

ReputationRep:
    Yea UTAs are awesome. They're far more into teaching than lecturers lol.

One thing I guess that differs between most american colleges and Imperial is that its much harder to contact your lecturer for help, at least I havent heard of anyone doing so here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wais)

One thing I guess that differs between most american colleges and Imperial is that its much harder to contact your lecturer for help, at least I havent heard of anyone doing so here.
    thats the advantage of smart ass peers . i have never asked a teacher for help since way before GCSE's. always been against it, always made a point of reading about it until i understood. the content of a degree is a damn sight harder though lol so im sure ill come round to the idea. also i think thats something employers like about these unis, that they know a 1st was down to your hard work far more than anyone elses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wais)

I've asked lecturers questions a few of times -- but usually, it was when a group of four or five of us couldn't work out the problem, so we went to ask (or alternatively, emailed and got them to explain in the next lecture/tutorial).

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by Weezy F
    Imperial is worldclass, but Cambridge > Imperial, get over it.

(Original post by Master Polhem)
    Not for engineering, get over it.
    Amen!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone that cares sucks. Period.

Who gives a **** about 1 or 2 rankings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wais)

Exactly !!! No need for rankings. Let's stop arguing!

Imperial rockssssssss...

It's actually the best university in the world... :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wais)

You obviously missed out on being a teenager in the 21st century.

ReputationRep:
    So after spending more of my not-so-precious time on TSR and reading about Imperial and other events of interest, a topic has dawned on me which will not go away.

Imperial is a good university but might it be that our coursework is easier than that of the only other two comparable universities in the UK namely Cambridge and Oxford?

How did I come to this conclusion? After reading a thread (will post link if someone does not have a life much like myself) where an Oxford engineering student had claimed that his tutor (an ex-tutor/lecturer at Imperial) had given them past papers from Imperials many engineering courses, which they found 'simple' - how utterly annoying.

Please bear in mind that I do not harbour any kind of self respect.

ReputationRep:
    Well I know for Computing at least, the coursework here is at least equal (if not greater) to anywhere else. But then again, that's from tutors here telling us - I haven't actually seen what the other guys do.. :p: That's all I can add I'm afraid; haven't a clue about the standards of engineering in general.

ReputationRep:
    I only have the word of one student from Oxford, who said a computing coursework I had looked harder than his. That was only in first year, it might have just been different material.

The Cambridge Computer Science past papers are online, they look broadly similar to the Imperial ones. I think the Cambridge papers are for a three-year course, in which case they seem to cover some stuff that's in the 4th year of the Imperial course, but there's also stuff that isn't covered at all -- this doesn't really matter. The questions seem to be shorter, but there are more of them.

It's hard to say which is harder just by looking anyway -- "Give an algorithm for drawing a circle on a grid of pixels" I'd have to think about a little (I've not been told one, I've not thought about it before), but if it was in my notes I'd just write it out.

(The Imperial Computing past exam papers are on a secure web server, and "Copyright University of London", they aren't meant to be distributed)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xaxa)
    I only have the word of one student from Oxford, who said a computing coursework I had looked harder than his. That was only in first year, it might have just been different material.

The Cambridge Computer Science past papers are online, they look broadly similar to the Imperial ones. I think the Cambridge papers are for a three-year course, in which case they seem to cover some stuff that's in the 4th year of the Imperial course, but there's also stuff that isn't covered at all -- this doesn't really matter. The questions seem to be shorter, but there are more of them.

It's hard to say which is harder just by looking anyway -- "Give an algorithm for drawing a circle on a grid of pixels" I'd have to think about a little (I've not been told one, I've not thought about it before), but if it was in my notes I'd just write it out.

(The Imperial Computing past exam papers are on a secure web server, and "Copyright University of London", they aren't meant to be distributed)
    Fair enough. I was just a bit confounded as to how they could have possibly found our papers 'simple'. I have looked at the Linear Algebra stuff for engineering first year for Oxford and I thought that was simple.

ReputationRep:
    Surely it'd be great if our papers were simpler. Close to oxbridge rep, easier to get a first. Awesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wais)
    Surely it'd be great if our papers were simpler. Close to oxbridge rep, easier to get a first. Awesome.
    What? Hell no I'd rather have dreadfully difficult course work rather than simple stuff. I want to earn my degree not receive it on the basis that my course work was simple.

ReputationRep:
    Boooo. Imperial syndrome before even getting here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Master Polhem)
    What? Hell no I'd rather have dreadfully difficult course work rather than simple stuff. I want to earn my degree not receive it on the basis that my course work was simple.
    lol i agree with that. i also have a tonne of cambridge mathematics for engneering notes from my mates brother and its really nothing major. iv seen UCL EEE work and that is miles ahead of the cambrige general eng stuff id seen. i cant compare oxford and Imperial but iv seen both syllabuses and Imperials is waaaaaaaaaaaay more in depth. i dont for a minute believe the crap stated above about the difference between ox and imperial. its very probable that the test just covered stuff that the guy hadnt come across yet. just different order of progression between the two.

edit:re read your post (was responding from memory when first read) and there is no way at all that they would have found those papers simple. engineering science in oxford doesnt cover a load of the material the respective seperate engineering courses do in Imperial. whoever said such is talking pure crap.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it was just one or two modules that oxford do in more depth. I'm sure there would be modules here that they woudl find hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wais)
    Maybe it was just one or two modules that oxford do in more depth. I'm sure there would be modules here that they woudl find hard.
    well only in the 4th year is that realistically possible. the first two years are evenly spread across civil,mechanical, electical, electronic,systems and aeronautical eng. 4th year is like imperials in the sense that you choose whatever modules you want, unlike imperial you cant do this so much in the third year. the guy was trying to claim that oxford eng science=imperial mech eng+eee+aero eng+computing+civil engineering+materials science LO-****ING-L!the oxford course is the better for producing interdisciplinary team leaders/managers no doubt, but nowhere near for pure engineering. simple.

ReputationRep:
    Hahahaha what an idiot. I cant believe he thought 6 degrees at Imp is worth 1 at Oxford LOL.

Speaking from my degree, I've seen some of the "programing" they do in interdisciplinary subjects like the biomedical engineering. Possibly worth 3 introductory lectures in my course lol

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 3, 2008
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.