The Student Room Group

Art through clearing!!!

I'm hoping to get to uni this year through clearing. Although I didn't do art a level (which I seriously regret), do you think there's any chance of me getting into an art course anyway?
Reply 1
Original post by inxy
I'm hoping to get to uni this year through clearing. Although I didn't do art a level (which I seriously regret), do you think there's any chance of me getting into an art course anyway?

You may need to do a foundation year. What art experience do you have? Do you have a portfolio?

You need to check the entry requirements of any universities you are considering.

Also why wait until Clearing? Courses may still be available now via UCAS Extra.

And I'm tagging @PQ for her expert opinion. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by inxy

What A levels did you do?
What subject are you thinking of studying?
Do you have a portfolio of finished work and sketchbooks?

It’s possible to get a place on a creative course without a creative qualification but from the way you have worded your question I suspect that you aren’t prepared for degree level art studies.

Have a look into art & design foundation diploma courses at your local colleges (or universities if you’re lucky enough to live near a university that offers foundation diplomas). They’ll help you prepare your portfolio, help you explore the various degrees available and give you a taste of what art & design is like to study full time for a year before you commit to a degree
Reply 3
Original post by Doonesbury
You may need to do a foundation year. What art experience do you have? Do you have a portfolio?

You need to check the entry requirements of any universities you are considering.

Also why wait until Clearing? Courses may still be available now via UCAS Extra.

And I'm tagging @PQ for her expert opinion. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

i have an A in art GCSE and a collection of paintings and drawings i guess could be used as a portfolio. i will definitely be checking extra now. thanks!!!
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
What A levels did you do?
What subject are you thinking of studying?
Do you have a portfolio of finished work and sketchbooks?

It’s possible to get a place on a creative course without a creative qualification but from the way you have worded your question I suspect that you aren’t prepared for degree level art studies.

Have a look into art & design foundation diploma courses at your local colleges (or universities if you’re lucky enough to live near a university that offers foundation diplomas). They’ll help you prepare your portfolio, help you explore the various degrees available and give you a taste of what art & design is like to study full time for a year before you commit to a degree

I did chemistry, biology and chemistry at A level. Ive got an A in art GCSE, and I also have a bunch of drawings and paintings but they dont really relate to eachother?? im not sure if it could be considered as a portfolio. I also run an instagram account where I post pictures of henna that ive done on people (not sure if this would contribute much to my application but i might as well include it lol). im thinking of studying fine art/ applied arts/ illustration. thanks for the advice, I'll look into some foundation diplomas (they do quite a lot of them at wolverhampton uni)

Quick Reply

Latest