The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Chances of CS at Oxbridge/Imperial

Hola amigos,
I used to be a regular poster here during A-Levels but then stopped during uni.
I will be applying for MSc in Computer Science/Software Engineer related courses in Fall to Oxbridge/Imperial.

I had below average-A Levels (BCD) but still managed to get into top Canadian university for Chemical Engineering.
I failed Chemical Engineering within the first-year and then joined a mid-tier uni for Computer Science.

In CS, I finally found my passion and started doing pretty well, ended with First Class, with an amazing dissertation. And during my time here, I :
- was my school's student representative,
- founder of a student club,
- used to regularly go to conferences and competitions, and managed to win a few as well.

I really love software engineering, and I have super references from my professors. And will have about 1.5 years of work experience when I start applying for MSc. But don't know how much my previous failures will hurt me. :s-smilie:

So what are my chances? :smile:

Thanks in advance
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by coder01
Hola amigos,
I will be applying for MSc in Computer Science/Software Engineer related courses in Fall to Oxbridge/Imperial.

I had below average-A Levels (BCD) but still managed to get into top Canadian university for Chemical Engineering.
I failed Chemical Engineering within the first-year and then joined a mid-tier uni for Computer Science.

In CS, I finally found my passion and started doing pretty well, ended with First Class, with an amazing dissertation. And during my time here, I :
- used to regularly go to conferences and competitions, and managed to win a few as well.

I really love software engineering, and I have super references from my professors. And will have about 1.5 years of work experience when I start applying for MSc. But don't know how much my previous failures will hurt me. :s-smilie:

Thanks in advance

Don't mention them:wink:
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
Original post by AmmarTa
Don't mention them:wink:

Think I might have to. :colondollar:

I would have to explain the lost years in between, and of course A-Levels would still remain the same.
And I prefer not lying :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by coder01
Hola amigos,

Thanks in advance

They don't ask about your pre-university-level education. And if you have a First that will put you in a very good place for any MSc/MPhil applications.

So, no your previous missteps (they aren't failures) will not affect you.
Reply 4
Original post by Doonesbury
They don't ask about your pre-university-level education. And if you have a First that will put you in a very good place for any MSc/MPhil applications.

So, no your previous missteps (they aren't failures) will not affect you.

Goof to hear this. Thanks mate.
Will start working on my essays soon. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by coder01
Goof

:hat2:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending