Turn on thread page Beta

Im fed up of being the freak geek who everyone laughs at watch

ReputationRep:
    It almost sounds like you don't want to be helped! :confused:

There's some really good advice on this thread.... take it.

PS: Walking is not a very effective form of exercise and you are still overweight. Try something harder eg. weights (as has been suggested numerous times).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobhope1234)
    Start boxing, it helped me
    Agreed. Boxing or other combat sports will go a long way to improve your fitness, health, make you lose weight, get rid of your spots and increase your confidence. Choose to take action and improve your life or choose not to and continue the way you are.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    imo, you're feeling bad because you are concetrating on your negative life aspects. not once have i heard you say somethin positive or that you like about yourself?
    maybe if you concetrated on those things then you'd feel a lot better and project this new found knowledge onto others who deserve your company.
    respect is not a birth right, it is something you must earn. respect yourself, and others will respect you.

p.s. dont take no bull****

(Original post by humannamuh)
    It almost sounds like you don't want to be helped! :confused:
    There's some really good advice on this thread.... take it.

PS: Walking is not a very effective form of exercise and you are still overweight. Try something harder eg. weights (as has been suggested numerous times).
    Well I already tried everything mentioned but its not a magical solution that works overnight, and I have heard it all before.

I love going to the gym just havent been in a few weeks as been too busy.

I dont really eat much or huge portions just I eat basic crap like noodles, I am on a meal scheme but for supper eat noodles or biscuits or yogurts and drink loads of pop thats all my vices are.

Rarely drink alcohol etc.

I have always been overweight just in last 3 years its been bad, I used to be 12 stone but still had a belly and such, now im 15 or 15 and a half stone

Its metabolic I think, I think my body is confused as for a while I started eating really late starving till 11pm then eating, then a snack around 2am and unfortunatly its kinda stuck, now I eat my meals at 1.20pm and 6.20pm and have a snack like noodles around 10 or 11pm then bed around midnight-2

Its also age, when I was 17-19 I wasnt hungry but ate more(but at a set time around 9pm-10pm) each day and my weight went down.

It only went bad about 4 years ago when my brother died and I lived off take aways every day for 6 months and skyrocketed up to 16 stone, then when I put that past me I dropped down to 13 again but then its gone back up for some reason 2 years ago, when I noticed I starved for 3 days then ate salad for 2 days then bread and butter 2 days and gained over a stone that week.

I love to go to the gym but the uni one is tiny and cramped and hasnt got any of the machines I like, well apart from rowing machines and treadmills and the bikes theres nothing I like, the weights are crap

I like the ones where you sit down and pull down this bar to your back, or sit on a chair and pull from your chest in front to stretched to the side, or the ones where you lie back and lift a weight with your feet or knees

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Well I already tried everything mentioned but its not a magical solution that works overnight, and I have heard it all before.

I dont really eat much or huge portions just I eat basic crap like noodles, I am on a meal scheme but for supper eat noodles or biscuits or yogurts and drink loads of pop thats all my vices are.

I have always been overweight just in last 3 years its been bad, I used to be 12 stone but still had a belly and such, now im 15 or 15 and a half stone

Its metabolic I think, I think my body is confused as for a while I started eating really late starving till 11pm then eating, then a snack around 2am and unfortunatly its kinda stuck, now I eat my meals at 1.20pm and 6.20pm and have a snack like noodles around 10 or 11pm then bed around midnight-2

Its also age, when I was 17-19 I wasnt hungry but ate more(but at a set time around 9pm-10pm) each day and my weight went down.

It only went bad about 4 years ago when my brother died and I lived off take aways every day for 6 months and skyrocketed up to 16 stone, then when I put that past me I dropped down to 13 again but then its gone back up for some reason 2 years ago, when I noticed I starved for 3 days then ate salad for 2 days then bread and butter 2 days and gained over a stone that week.

I love to go to the gym but the uni one is tiny and cramped and hasnt got any of the machines I like, well apart from rowing machines and treadmills and the bikes theres nothing I like, the weights are crap

I like the ones where you sit down and pull down this bar to your back, or sit on a chair and pull from your chest in front to stretched to the side, or the ones where you lie back and lift a weight with your feet or knees

No it isn't. Just stop eating crap completely. Cut out carbs and halve all your portions.

(Original post by Guy Secretan)
    No it isn't. Just stop eating crap completely. Cut out carbs and halve all your portions.
    I already eat small/ish portions.

I mean how else can loads of people in the world eat more than me, drink loads of alcohol, eat crap yet not put on weight.

My elder brothers like that, he sits on his arse, never does excercise, lives of kebabs and megaburgers(burger with mayonaisse, mushrooms, cheese, pineapple, bacon etc) greasy chips and eats a whole big bar or 2 of dairy milk each day, as well as fudge and tablet, and goes drinking 3 or 4 times a week yet is under 11 stone!

I say metabolic or the such as when I go clubbing, even if I dont dance I lose weight quite fast, then again im sick on a night out, if I dont go out for a month or 2 months I gain loads of weight, go clubbing once a week or more lose loads of weight!

ReputationRep:
    No-one can change but you if you want a change you have to work at it. It's not easy and there is no overnight solution, getting that weight down takes anger motivation and honesty to yourself trust me I've done it.

ReputationRep:
    Fat doesn't come from nowhere it has to be put in your mouth. Some people are genetically predisposed to being fat but you can still lose weight if you try.

ReputationRep:
    Take notice if you have heard it all before. And you are right, there isn't a magical solution.. you need to work at it and try. Losing weight will make you feel tons better as will some form of exercise.
    You need to get out there and let your confidence grow, don't take crapfrom people. You need to calm yourself and try not to look like you take yourself too seriously. I have some guy mates who aren't that physically good looking but their confidence and sense of humour make them much more approchable and attractive to women.

to the above ... i love guy secretan!

(Original post by Guy Secretan)
    Fat doesn't come from nowhere it has to be put in your mouth. Some people are genetically predisposed to being fat but you can still lose weight if you try.
    Well its just I only eat 1 maybe 2 meals a day(as sometimes at lunch I eat a small sandwich instead of a meal)

Its more the times I eat than what I eat.

As when I went to my parents over Christmas I ate at set times, dinner at 12.30 tea at 5.30, supper at 7.30(which was a sandwich or soup etc)

I lost weight.

Same for when I was there in September so its routine more than fat, esp as I ate more junk there than now!

And my bro eats more than me and all take aways but he always eats at around 6pm then nothing after that

ReputationRep:
    I was never going to be an overnight solution. Think about it: you have been fat for a long time - how are you going to undo all the abuse that you have done to your body (eg. through eating crap) in a few days? How would you undo it in a few weeks?

You will need to work at it for many months.... but it will be worth it.

Excuses. It doesn't take THAT long. And if you are really busy, you could just something simple like circuits during breaks.

Well the solution is simple. Stick to your meal plan! And don't buy junk food because you will always find an excuse to eat it.

Try harder.

Listen. You might get a lot of support on this board but when you go out into the real world, people don't really care about whether you have a crap metabolism or whatever. That seems harsh but it's true. All they see is that you are fat, spotty etc etc.

Just stick at it, put a REAL effort into improving yourself for 12 months or so and you will get the results.

ReputationRep:
    2 things.

Eating late at night piles the weight on. Avoid it at all costs. If you are really really hungry before bed have a hot chocolate drink - it'll sort out the cravings. Eat at regular times.

When you walk, keep your head held up, tell yourself that you look great (regardless of whether you really believe it), and as you pass people, meet their eye and smile. They will almost certainly smile back. It sounds artificial, but it's helped me with my confidence. You need some confidence before anything else will make much of a difference for you.
    You are worthwhile and important, and you need to see that. This is your damn life after all - it's going to be as good as you make it.

Edit - incidentally, when you go out, no-one really notices those few spots and that you're a bit overweight. Everyone is too wrapped up in themselves. You realise this when you look at a girl and think "they're pretty" - but if you sit there and try to figure her out, you realise she's self-conscious about that spot that you had barely noticed. You are the only one who really notices the problems with your appearance, so pretend like you have none.

(Original post by humannamuh)
    I was never going to be an overnight solution. Think about it: you have been fat for a long time - how are you going to undo all the abuse that you have done to your body (eg. through eating crap) in a few days? How would you undo it in a few weeks?

You will need to work at it for many months.... but it will be worth it.

Excuses. It doesn't take THAT long. And if you are really busy, you could just something simple like circuits during breaks.

Well the solution is simple. Stick to your meal plan! And don't buy junk food because you will always find an excuse to eat it.

Try harder.

Listen. You might get a lot of support on this board but when you go out into the real world, people don't really care about whether you have a crap metabolism or whatever. That seems harsh but it's true. All they see is that you are fat, spotty etc etc.

Just stick at it, put a REAL effort into improving yourself for 12 months or so and you will get the results.

Im getting nowhere here, as the way you make it out is im lazy and dont do anything to improve myself which actually really pisses me off as I do make a friggin effort!!!!

Just because I dont go to the gym all the time, dont eat salads doesnt mean im making 0 effort so its upsetting to see it worded as if im sitting down eating non stop junk food.

If I wasnt making an effort id be sitting eating sweets all the time(which I dont do as I dont like sweets) eating crisps(again no interest) eat take aways(which is rare and when I do its a naan bread salad)

And when I say spotty generally its more complexion I havent any real spots but a few tiny marks that you wouldnt see unless I told you.

I may as well do nothing if people think im doing nothing as what have I got to lose.

ReputationRep:
    Im getting nowhere here, as the way you make it out is im lazy and dont do anything to improve myself which actually really pisses me off as I do make a friggin effort!!!!

Just because I dont go to the gym all the time, dont eat salads doesnt mean im making 0 effort so its upsetting to see it worded as if im sitting down eating non stop junk food.

If I wasnt making an effort id be sitting eating sweets all the time(which I dont do as I dont like sweets) eating crisps(again no interest) eat take aways(which is rare and when I do its a naan bread salad)

And when I say spotty generally its more complexion I havent any real spots but a few tiny marks that you wouldnt see unless I told you.

I may as well do nothing if people think im doing nothing as what have I got to lose.
    More excuses. Why are you still fat?

If you're going to take that attitude, I wonder why you even posted the question up in the first place? Do you want us to give advice or simply tell you what you want to hear?

Seriously, just take the advice everyone has been giving you. Cut out ALL junk food - not even asking you to eat salads, just replace fatty foods with fruit or similar. It will do wonders for your complexion and weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poica)
    When you walk, keep your head held up, tell yourself that you look great (regardless of whether you really believe it), and as you pass people, meet their eye and smile. They will almost certainly smile back. It sounds artificial, but it's helped me with my confidence. You need some confidence before anything else will make much of a difference for you.
    You are worthwhile and important, and you need to see that. This is your damn life after all - it's going to be as good as you make it.
    Fantastic advice. You deserve a ton of rep for that.
    (It's one thing an old martial arts instructor of mine said, that if you look down at the ground all the time you'll become a target. Now I keep my head upright and girls cross to the other side of the street. But my face is a mess.)

ReputationRep:
    Try not to be defeatist mate. I know how depressing it can be to see others live and eat like a slob yet gain no weight. You just have to focus on the fact that living that way is making them unhealthy, weather it shows or not, and you can be better than them if you dedicate yourself to it.

Try a boxing / martial arts class for one month. Motivating yourself might be difficult, but I assure you that it'll improve things. Social life, health, confidence, weight. You just have to walk through the door.

(Original post by Poica)
    2 things.

Eating late at night piles the weight on. Avoid it at all costs. If you are really really hungry before bed have a hot chocolate drink - it'll sort out the cravings. Eat at regular times.

Edit - incidentally, when you go out, no-one really notices those few spots and that you're a bit overweight. Everyone is too wrapped up in themselves. You realise this when you look at a girl and think "they're pretty" - but if you sit there and try to figure her out, you realise she's self-conscious about that spot that you had barely noticed. You are the only one who really notices the problems with your appearance, so pretend like you have none.
    I think people misinterpreted when I say I hunch my shoulders, I only do that say with my flatmates, or if im at uni as I sit in the corner nervous, go to common room at my friends hall before a night out and im dancing on the chairs with everyone else and we have our arms around each others shoulders singing lol.

Im just bad with people who arent directly in contact with me, i.e saying hello in the hall, or in the kitchen or walking past me on campus, if we are sitting down in the same room talking about our day or where we are going on the night out I will talk easily, give or take theres people in room I dont get on with.

Most people are ok to my face but kinda *****y behind my back, and the ones that arent is just because they see me as sweet lol

And I always smile, too much thats why people call me a freak sometimes too, I grin everything off which the psychologist says is one of the reasons of my ADD because im very stubborn and find it hard to change and just let it all go on and dont fight back sort of thing. I was told to speak in front of a mirror for a hour each day(as I stutter and mumble bad as im trying to ignore people)

Essentially I hear things and it goes out the other ear.

Interestingly last night when I went clubbing I tried to change on purpose, I made myself angry, got to bar sober when my flatmates were drunk then just ordered 3 x double vodka red bulls and downed them in about a minute then ordered same, downed them, felt like I was gonna be sick, but was ok, had 3 VK Blues over the next 20 minutes (loads more during night)then puked in toilet and went to dancefloor and there was 2 girls eyeing me up, there was another but I kinda put her off as I had a cross look on my face and at first she looked but saw me with the look and so looked away.

The other girl was pretty but not traditionally beautiful(well she was just pretty and my type lol) but I was too moody but by the end of night I was dancing crazily and with loads of women(well I went up to them) as I was so horny lol

Came home but was barely awake due to the booze(spirits knock me out)

Made some new friends though as I was really chatty(inc some italian lads who were talking about their gorgeous female flatmates) and such though lol

I generally do make friends on a night out, but im just too careful incase they are going to jump me or something(or think im gay lol)

ReputationRep:
    Stop caring.

You need to turn over a new leaf and start your life afresh. You're not going to get anywhere by being so self-critical - no wonder you have low self-esteem and are having problems with the ladies. My top tips are to get yourself a gym membership - instead of 'relaxing' at home doing nothing get into the gym and enjoy a fun work-out; work out exactly what you eat/drink each week, look at this and then see what is not healthy and replace these items of food with healthier alternatives; set yourself weight-loss targets to meet every month and reward yourself with a new item of clothing - use the evident reduction in your sizes as an incentive to lose more weight; perhaps join a martial arts club to gain more self-confidence, plus losing weight and learning vital self-defense skills.

Put all that into place and it should be a recipe for success.

Now this is why I say im bad at arguing.

Not saying I dont eat salads or fruit

In fact I love eating salads and fruit, and love eating fish, hate greasy food etc.

Only kinda bad foods I eat is things like chicken, potatoes etc. I eat vegetables with every meal and have vogurt as dessert.

I eat regular/small portions etc.

I never eat bacon or anything fried really, really hate them, prefer other things.

Just because im fat doesnt mean im stuffing my face every 5 minutes, just means my snacks are biscuits or noodles as they are tasty and quick(

Used to have a bowl of soup but got bored with same things each day.

As it stands im not sure the best course of action, I mean if I eat next to nothing junk wise now, and just drink loads of pop then I may as well eat more junk as its not going to get worse as whats the use of making an effort to not eat if im putting on weight regardless.

Wont do that though just saying.

If I had the cash I would go to the better gym around corner but cant afford over £300 or £400 a year(though they are massive!) The uni ones too cramped, and im self concious, well just want to do what I want and go on what I want without waiting 30 minutes to go on something or more, and some others waiting less but get to machine first, doesnt help my routine(which is all I need)

My routine is same for everything, be it meals, sleep on the pc etc, its so stuck that if I change it I feel depressed.

Like I was going to the gym every day for about an hour or 2 then was invited drinking so didnt go as I had hangover and just never got back into the routine.

same for sleep, I started going to bed 12.30am then one night went out drinking and didnt get back till 4 and was talking with friends till 6 and went to bed 6am for 2 weeks until 1 day I made sure I had no sleep and went to bed at 6pm the next night and woke up 9am and reset the pattern.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 16, 2008
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.