What are the best tips for year 10 mock revision?

Watch
Reviser101
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey everyone
I've got my year 10 mocks commencing on the week of June 18th. I was just wondering if there are any good tips for revision for it.
amazingfcb
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Don’t bother, enjoy yourself and don’t get stressed as they aren’t official board exams
username3973192
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
REVISE!

jk no one really cares about yr 10 mocks, however if your teachers haven't sorted you into tiers for your GCSE exams then I think you should actually revise cos otherwise you'll get put in foundation, and trust me that tier is for dummys
Kroznox
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I need some tips too!
flyingcolours
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I wouldn't say don't bother, putting effort in any exam prep will contribute to your real ones! But you don't have to stress out as much, just enjoy and take care of yourself. Whatever subjects you are taking an exam for, take 20-60 min of your day to do revision. Mind maps, posters, flashcards - very very useful. For Maths and Science, I would say to question papers so you can get the feel of answering the questions.

Good luck x
ll.
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Reviser101)
Hey everyone
I've got my year 10 mocks commencing on the week of June 18th. I was just wondering if there are any good tips for revision for it.
the best tip is - dont revise too see how good you can improvise - also if you do well without revising, youll be confident for gcses when you do revise
thrifty_reviser
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Don't listen to people who say don't revise, as I know for a fact you would just end up procrastinating and then realise that you have so much revision to do at the end, feeling super stressed. I wouldn't say revise 24/7 for the year 10 mocks but give it your best as the purpose of 'mock' exams are to help and support you before your actual GCSEs. They are also the last proper exams before you have your year 11 mocks which is when your teachers start to predict your GCSE grades, so I'd say make the most of this opportunity and start revising early e.g. making notes,flashcards,mindmaps, etc... (Don't leave all this until you are in year 11).
LarissaAlves
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you revise and turns out you did not need to, that's fine!
If you don't revise and end up getting bad grades, you will probably regret it and feel sad.
Conclusion: Revise!

Blogs and websites that help with revision:
Timetable -https://www.kent-teach.com/Blog/post/2018/05/02/how-to-create-a-revision-timetable-to-maximise-learning.aspx
Learning scientists - http://www.learningscientists.org/bl...y=For+Students
Seneca - https://senecalearning.com/
Youtube - Mr Bruff, Primrose Kitten, FreeScienceLessons, Impact Learning Tutorials

Good luck!
username3973192
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You guys are taking things too seriously. I am currently in year 10 but I'm taking 4 GCSE's Combined science (2 gcse's) , Maths and English Language.
So at the stage your at there is no point really overworking yourselves. Just enjoy the free time that you have - unlike me . Next year you will have literally NO free time so make the most of it now!
thrifty_reviser
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am currently in Year 10 and am taking 11 GCSEs so if I had done no revision during Year 10, I would be so stressed in Year 11.
Tanzil784
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I also have year 10 mocks starting next week, 4th June - 22nd June and i'm revising because our teachers use these to judge our sets and what paper we do (foundation or higher) don't listen to those people telling you to relax
Switch01
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
RELAX! Do some revision here and there but dont stress out
mintchocchip
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by amazingfcb)
Don’t bother, enjoy yourself and don’t get stressed as they aren’t official board exams
Yes they are. They are set 2 specimen papers
mintchocchip
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I did mine a few weeks ago. I used unjaded jades blurting technique on yt for sciences and learn all vocab for languages. Maths we got loads of past papers given to us. RS I completely flunked and got a 4 (but shhh) but got 9s in bio and chem. Really shows how much effort I put into rs haha. Ask your teachers if you don’t understand stuff. And these are kinda for practice bc then you know how much work you need for the subjects you aren’t great at
alice3467
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Make sure you’ve got all you’re notes up to date for the subjects you’re doing, even if you run out of time to learn them this will make year eleven so much easier as your email not playing catch up to your notes!

Make sure you learn the facts not just be able to recall them, it’s easy to trick yourself into thinking you do when you’ve read the page a few seconds before. Look at the questions at the end of each topic in the revision guide and test yourself, you don’t have to write anything down but it acts as a good checklist, then go and look back in your book if you don’t know it.

Anagrams are always good for rembering quotes too

Good luck 😁
waqas_hussain98
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would say keep organised. When i did my GCSE's i think that would have been a good tip to have
-Bibliophile-
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Let these mocks be a way to find out what sort of learner you are, what revision technique you would benefit from the most. From the results, you can discern which areas need the most work. As for tiers, they are not decided fully until early on in the year you sit your GCSE's (2019 if you're in Year 10). If you get placed in foundation now, you can still work hard for the rest of the year and you might move up to higher. Since these are brand new GCSE's, wait until this years Year 11's have done their exams (I'm in Year 11 doing my exams now) and the grade boundaries have been released. The teachers will be unsure of what grade to give you until official grade boundaries are released in August this year. Lastly, don't take these exams too lightly, as when you do your GCSE's, you will regret not having a proper practice run!
Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (43)
31.85%
No - I have already returned home (16)
11.85%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (27)
20%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (11)
8.15%
No - I live at home during term anyway (38)
28.15%

Watched Threads