Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What are the chances of the examiner being an expert in my topic? And would they be bothered to check if inflation really DID rise by 9%? I wouldn’t make up anything too wild but stuff like stats or dates.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F.SA)
    What are the chances of the examiner being an expert in my topic? And would they be bothered to check if inflation really DID rise by 9%? I wouldn’t make up anything too wild but stuff like stats or dates.
    I wouldn’t risk it but yet again it could work.
    In English lit ~ a lot of people get away with making up quotes.
    Depends on your marker...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Regardless of whether the examiner is an expert in a certain topic, they will have immediately to hand the syllabus and marking rubric. Also needless to say, they will clearly be more of an expert than you on any given topic...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F.SA)
    Tbh with history aslong as you have a strong sustained argument you can get away with having a slightly incorrect fact or date. They don’t take marks away.

But the examiner isn’t stupid so don’t make up stats

ReputationRep:
    Particularly when it comes to history (because reliable economic statistics are rare or non-existent) you can get away with those things.

We had an economics quesiton in last years AS paper and, although I actually used the statistics the history teacher gave, I'm certain they were wrong because they were strange numbers, like 6% GDP growth during the industrial revolution, and nevertheless I got 23/25 which is my best ever in a history essay.

That being said, statistics aren't always the best way to make a point in a history essay because it's not really what the examiner is after. An undeniable event (eg a famine resulting from high inflation) is more to the point, if you get what I'm alluding to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    Regardless of whether the examiner is an expert in a certain topic, they will have immediately to hand the syllabus and marking rubric. Also needless to say, they will clearly be more of an expert than you on any given topic...
    Syllabus or not, statistics are different from different sources. One book will say 110 were killed and another will say 10,000. The Marking rubric is an overview of events The student could talk about . Keep your condescending comment to yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HoldThisL)
    Particularly when it comes to history (because reliable economic statistics are rare or non-existent) you can get away with those things.

We had an economics quesiton in last years AS paper and, although I actually used the statistics the history teacher gave, I'm certain they were wrong because they were strange numbers, like 6% GDP growth during the industrial revolution, and nevertheless I got 23/25 which is my best ever in a history essay.

That being said, statistics aren't always the best way to make a point in a history essay because it's not really what the examiner is after. An undeniable event (eg a famine resulting from high inflation) is more to the point, if you get what I'm alluding to.
    Ohh that’s interesting my teacher always hammers into us specific statistics to remember, which I always thought odd since they’re not necessarily accurate. This makes a lot more sense.
    Thanks !
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by F.SA)
    Syllabus or not, statistics are different from different sources. One book will say 110 were killed and another will say 10,000. The Marking rubric is an overview of events The student could talk about . Keep your condescending comment to yourself
    Evaluating different sources is not the same as making up things, and given the former is what you are ostensibly be examine on in history, rather than the latter, my comment is not condescending so much as common sense. Also "accuracy" is something that is part of standard marking rubrics regardless, and you will lose marks for (wildly) inaccurate numbers. If you don't remember a specific value but know the general range it exists in, state that range or use a vague allusion to it being "low" or something. You will not get as many marks if you had actually learned it in the first place, but on average you will get more than if you guess them all.

Alternately, by all means make it up as you go along though, I'm sure your peers will find the outcome amusing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    Tbh with history aslong as you have a strong sustained argument you can get away with having a slightly incorrect fact or date. They don’t take marks away.

But the examiner isn’t stupid so don’t make up stats
    Yeah I have a friend who often manipulated the dates of numbers and she always gets a tick from my teacher so I was just wondering if that sort of thing would be penalised in the real thing 🤷🏻*♀️

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F.SA)
    Yeah I have a friend who often manipulated the dates of numbers and she always gets a tick from my teacher so I was just wondering if that sort of thing would be penalised in the real thing 🤷🏻*♀️
    You won’t lost marks but you also won’t be able to gain marks for knowledge. Just learn the right facts manipulating dates won’t do you any good
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Sounds risky
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi,

I would not recommend it!

- Alex (LJMU student rep)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 26, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.