Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Yes you read that right)

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hope-ch...urity-company/

A Georgia jury has awarded an eye-popping $1 billion verdict against a security company after an apartment complex guard was convicted of raping a 14-year-old girl. Hope Cheston was outside by some picnic tables with her boyfriend during a party in October 2012 when an armed security guard approached, attorney L. Chris Stewart told The Associated Press on Wednesday. The guard told the boyfriend not to move and raped Cheston, Stewart said.

The guard, identified in the lawsuit as Brandon Lamar Zachary, was convicted of statutory rape and is serving a 20-year prison sentence, according to online prison records.

Renatta Cheston-Thornton filed a lawsuit in March 2015 on behalf of her daughter, who was still a minor at the time. The jury on Tuesday handed down the verdict against Crime Prevention Agency, the security company that employed Zachary.

Zachary, who was 22 at the time of the rape, should never have been hired because he wasn't licensed to be an armed guard, Stewart said.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn’t mind get raped as long as I got a billion 🤣
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I think the idea here is to incentivise security companies to make sure they don't hire people who randomly decide that they are entitled to do whatever they want with the companies' clients' bodies. This seems legitimate to me.

ReputationRep:
    That seems like a bit too much money. I wonder if the security has even turned over that much money in revenue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kev lad)
    dumb ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kev lad)
    Wouldn't exactly be rape then haha
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    That’s a lot of money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shameful_burrito)
    That’s a lot of money
    I didn't notice.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ProfessorChewKok)
    I didn't notice.
    :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    no one's getting a billion dollars, relax. you can't get money unless the defendant actually has the ability to pay, which is why you don't see more lawsuits. the jury just awarded a billion as a gesture to symbolise how awful the crime was and their sympathy for the victim.

which btw gives me hope in humanity. i'm very excited for the news!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Joleee)
    no one's getting a billion dollars, relax. you can't get money unless the defendant actually has the ability to pay, which is why you don't see more lawsuits. the jury just awarded a billion as a gesture to symbolise how awful the crime was and their sympathy for the victim.

which btw gives me hope in humanity. i'm very excited for the news!
    The security company will still have to pay as much as they can afford which will be several million at least, could even be as much as tens of millions depending on how much money the company has.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninja Squirrel)
    The security company will still have to pay as much as they can afford which will be several million at least, could even be as much as tens of millions depending on how much money the company has.
    yeah yeah, you're not wrong. just saying you can't get money they don't have.

ReputationRep:
    They may have liability insurance.
    If he duped them and it wasn't down to their lack of due diligence as an employer then the insurance may pay out, in which case she may well be set for life, both her and her family with tens of millions.
    Good luck to her she deserves it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninja Squirrel)
    me thinks since the company was dissolved two years ago as per the article, she'll get nothing.

Suppose they'll try and go after the CEO at the time personally, but if he's bankrupt it'll probably end up being one of those £1 a month token gesture type payments.

Appeal wise it'll get reduced massively, realistically as the article says it'll be compared to similar payments and I'd imagine $1 billion is outlandish. Although it would have been a terrible trauma to go through I imagine they'll say people who have had catastrophic injuries/died due to companies negligence don't tend to successfully sue for hundreds of millions let alone a bil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProfessorChewKok)
    I didn't notice.
    That's weird for you not to notice given that it's in the title. Huh.

ReputationRep:
    Leaving juries to determine damages awards is completely stupid and creates arbitrary, unjust, and absurd outcomes.

ReputationRep:
    Stupid amount of money for something like this!! I mean people work really hard and rarely will they earn a million in their life and this women gets 1 billion! Stupid. It will also affect how people see rape and stuff like that. (Anyone could just have sex and then say 'There was no consent' because they want a chance at a billion now they know it is possible.)

ReputationRep:
    Here we go:

- Man looks at woman
    - #metoo
    - Man registered as sex offender for life
    - Man heavily fined
    -

Not trying to justify any vile actions, but the growing amount of people coming forward is encouraging, but the number of complaints which are also not genuine is worrying.

ReputationRep:
    well...the company is responsible. They employed a guard who literally did the opposite of his job lol. And then it was forced sex rape, not even gradual molestation.

Thats just sick. And then it's the money it'll cost for his 20-yr prison term. And he might have to spend even more time in prison while he waits for his release date lol. I dont think the money is literally to her. That's just primary school reading level type writing for the layman news readers.

From an American law site (since the people involved are american):

What Happens After A Judgment In A Lawsuit Is Issued

If you win your lawsuit at trial, the defendant will usually appeal. This is a long process. It will take a year or maybe even two years for the appeal to be heard and decided. The appellate court can do one of three things with the judgment:
    • uphold it (you win)
    • reverse it (you lose), or
    • send the case back to the trial court for a new trial.

If the appeals court upholds or reverses the judgment and your state has two levels of appellate courts, either you or the defendant can appeal again to your state’s supreme court. The supreme court can then uphold or reverse the judgment or send the case back to the trial court for a new trial. If your case is sent back for a new trial, then you have to do the whole trial all over again. And after the second trial is over, either side can appeal (again!).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 27, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.