The Student Room Group

Do mock/predicted grades matter for UNI?

im currently in year 12 doing my first year and so far my predicted grades are okay... ish but i was just wondering if i do bad in my year 12 mocks and get lets say BBC but i want to apply to a uni with grade requirements of AAB or ABB will they completely ignore my application? what if this year i do bad in my mocks but in my actual end of year exams in year 13 my actual grades are AAB or ABB ? would they take me back or consider to look into my application again? just curious because i feel like its unfair if i get bad grades in my mock due to other circumstances but in my final grade i get good results.. surely your actual year 13 A level results matter more..??? THANKS !!
Hi,

Just a quick answer as it seems you're quite worried!

No, predicted grades don't matter as much as you think; however different uni's will have their different policies and admissions teams. For example, if you're applying to Oxford, they will probably want to see consistent high grades so might rely quite heavily on your predicted marks when deciding if to give you an offer.

If you actually finished with really high marks despite low predictions, you would be able to get plenty of offers through clearing, and it could be worth contacting universities who may of rejected you previously. But as I said, every university is different.

Plenty of uni's will give you an offer even if you aren't quite hitting the entry guidelines, as most students improve in year 12. I actually finished my A levels with grades lower than the university was asking for, but they still confirmed my offer and here I am! Try not to worry too much and just do your best, i'm sure you'll be fine :smile:

Hope that helps - Alex (LJMU student rep)
Most schools will only predict you a grade above what you get in mocks, and that's only if you're close to the boundary. If you get BBC then unless your school is dodgy they are unlikely to predict you AAB. If you apply to an AAB course without an AAB prediction, you will get a rejection. SO yes, they matter.
Original post by Liverpool John Moores
Hi,

Just a quick answer as it seems you're quite worried!

No, predicted grades don't matter as much as you think; however different uni's will have their different policies and admissions teams. For example, if you're applying to Oxford, they will probably want to see consistent high grades so might rely quite heavily on your predicted marks when deciding if to give you an offer.

If you actually finished with really high marks despite low predictions, you would be able to get plenty of offers through clearing, and it could be worth contacting universities who may of rejected you previously. But as I said, every university is different.

Plenty of uni's will give you an offer even if you aren't quite hitting the entry guidelines, as most students improve in year 12. I actually finished my A levels with grades lower than the university was asking for, but they still confirmed my offer and here I am! Try not to worry too much and just do your best, i'm sure you'll be fine :smile:

Hope that helps - Alex (LJMU student rep)

Thank you soo much !!! that actually clears up a lot of confusion for me and puts my worries to rest :smile: !
Original post by Imzy010
Thank you soo much !!! that actually clears up a lot of confusion for me and puts my worries to rest :smile: !

Predicted grades are very important. Without AS levels it is the only information they have about likely A level performance. If you are looking at AAB or above the university will normally make you an offer if your grades are near to these grades. If the grades are well below it is likely you will be rejected.

If your grades end up better than predicted you could then apply to a university through adjustment. However that is if the university still has places available.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending