Politics or Further Maths AS next year? help please... Watch

Poll: AS Further Maths or Politics next year?
AS Level Politics (10)
34.48%
AS Level Further Maths (19)
65.52%
Ashes_to_Ashes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi and thanks for any help in adavance.

I'm doing AS English Language, History, Economics and Maths this year and I'm going to drop English Language (unbelievably boring...)

I was thinking about doing a extra AS next year because I'll be applying to top unis (possibly Oxford for PPE) and also because I just want to for the challenge, learning curve etc... It depends on my timetable, but I'm thinking between Politics and Further Maths. I want to do either Politics and Economics at uni or PPE.

I'd been put off Further Maths before because of its reputation and also because I never thought I was very good at it. However, I got an A in GCSE Stats and an A* in GCSE Maths. Also, in the mocks I got an A in S1 (1st or 2nd in the year group) and I was the only person doing Maths who got an A in C1 (this includes people currently doing Further Maths). I revised a bit for S1 but none for C1 . I also got two A's for my economics mocks. Do you think Further Maths would be helpful for an joint honours economics degree? and do you think (with my current grades) I'd be able to do it?

At the other end of the spectrum in History I got BBC in the mocks. The teacher said we were harshly marked but to be honest I felt the essays I wrote really weren't that good, so I'm thinking that AS Politics may help me practise essay writing, as well as building my knowledge about it and giving me a good chance to natter on about politics What have your been experiences with AS Poltics? is it good to build essay skills?

Or do you think I shouldn't bother with either?
Thankyou people.
xXx
Keoje
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Let heads be Politics and tails be Further maths

Flip a coin.
Barry Scott
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Further Maths all the way. It is really well respected and is a challenge. Unis love it for economics and there is no point you doing politics since you already do history.
BIC MEDIUM
Report 10 years ago
Further Maths is arguably the most respected and hardest qualification you can study, and I think it would be very valuable. At AS level, it really isn't that nasty and FP1 is not hard at all really (FP2 and FP3 are a lot harder). I did literally 1 night's revision for FP1 and no work all year and got 64, i failed miserably on M1 and did poor on D1 too. I did no work all year and got an E in further but I put no effort in at all to be honest. I would recommend it, it's quite an interesting course to do as well.
unikq
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Keoje)
Let heads be Politics and tails be Further maths

Flip a coin.
that's the dummest thing i've heard. flipping a coin isn't going to get anyone into oxford.
id say go for further, if you're confident with it, but IMO you'd need at LEAST about 90 if not 100 in c1, c2,s1 if you are going to succeed in it. or you could just work REALLY hard.
no offence to politics, but i don't think unis would look upon it too favourably, because i think people generally think politics is a subject for those who couldn't really handle core subject. also, you have a set of very respectable core subjects, another one can only make the situation better.
good luck for oxford
Cartesian_
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
further maths every time mate

uni's will love it
BIC MEDIUM
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by unikq)
that's the dummest thing i've heard. flipping a coin isn't going to get anyone into oxford.
id say go for further, if you're confident with it, but IMO you'd need at LEAST about 90 if not 100 in c1, c2,s1 if you are going to succeed in it. or you could just work REALLY hard.
no offence to politics, but i don't think unis would look upon it too favourably, because i think people generally think politics is a subject for those who couldn't really handle core subject. also, you have a set of very respectable core subjects, another one can only make the situation better.
good luck for oxford
Up to a point I agree, but I got 45 odd for C1 and C2 but then i didn't work at all last year and think anyone that has at least a B in Maths GCSE could do it idf they put the time in. I could see how easy FP1 was after just 1 night's revision so it isn't that hard and is simply just more modules. This year I should be getting 95+ on C1 and C2 and could have redone my further but i didnt want 20+ exams this year after a big doss about and party infested time last year. Now I'm looking at AAB (a2) with B (as) after originally getting AEEE at AS-Level
Hashshashin
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
As a rough measure - If you can comfortably get an A in AS level Maths, there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to cope with anything in Further. FP2 and FP3 are considerably more challenging than the core units in A level Maths, but you'll probably only be taking a maximum of one of these for the AS level Further, and the extra applied units usually aren't too bad.

Obviously, the big decider here should be which course you think you'd get more out of, not which would look marginally better on a UCAS form.
unikq
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Hashshashin)
As a rough measure - If you can comfortably get an A in AS level Maths, there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to cope with anything in Further. FP2 and FP3 are considerably more challenging than the core units in A level Maths, but you'll probably only be taking a maximum of one of these for the AS level Further, and the extra applied units usually aren't too bad.

Obviously, the big decider here should be which course you think you'd get more out of, not which would look marginally better on a UCAS form.
incorrect,
everyone says Alevels are to give a firm foundation for uni blah blah. but yeh whatever, a 15 year old could realistically do A levels and get A's if he works for it. therefore, if you can get an A in further and if you can get A in politics, Further is DEFINATELY the thing to go for, it might not necessarily mean that you get anything out of it, (i see no use of FP modules for econ - stats is quite good though), but hey, it looks bloody well good on your UCAS, and you'll get into oxford. They don't expect you to have done any politics, and you haven't, so everyone's happy
Hashshashin
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by unikq)
but yeh whatever, a 15 year old could realistically do A levels and get A's if he works for it.
Even if this were true (I have my doubts - it's certainly not something I could ever have achieved, and I'm predicted AAAA), I fail to see how it is relevant.
(Original post by unikq)
therefore, if you can get an A in further and if you can get A in politics, Further is DEFINATELY the thing to go for
Why? She already has the two subject (History and Maths) that the PPE admissions tutors consider helpful - surely for her fourth subject she should just take something that she will find stimulating and enjoyable? She's more likely to do well in something if she has a genuine passion for it, anyway.
(Original post by unikq)
and you'll get into oxford
Yes, because an A in Further Maths AS guarantees an offer for PPE at Oxford.

[/sarcasm]

(Original post by unikq)
They don't expect you to have done any politics
I can't see them expecting you to know what the hell a hyperbolic function or complex number is, either.
Ashes_to_Ashes
Rep:
?
I agree with you. There is no way an A in Further Maths at AS will guarentee you an offer for PPE, of all courses...
Ashes_to_Ashes
Rep:
?
------
litics
Report 10 years ago
Politics x.
..Northern Soul
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I dont really think an AS in either subject would count that much, but neither can harm your application either. I'd go for Politics as its enjoyable at AS and doesnt require half the work FM would.
Ashes_to_Ashes
Rep:
?
Thankyou people, all posts and votes are much appreciated. xXx :hugs:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.95%
No (513)
72.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise