Lit grade B vs grade A answers Watch

Sinnigo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi, I'm at a solid B in my English literature. Although I am more than happy to take a B, I just can't seem to get any higher and I've tried many different techniques. Is there any key things that split apart a grade B and a grade A response?
Quirky Object
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Sinnigo)
Hi, I'm at a solid B in my English literature. Although I am more than happy to take a B, I just can't seem to get any higher and I've tried many different techniques. Is there any key things that split apart a grade B and a grade A response?
I've split this into its own thread since it's a separate query.

This is what AQA's specimen paper mark scheme says about level 5 answers, which are 21-25/30:
At the top of the level, a candidate’s response is likely to be thoughtful, detailed and developed. It takes a considered approach to the full task with references integrated into interpretation; there will be a detailed examination of the effects of language and/or structure and/or form supported by apt use of subject terminology. Examination of ideas/perspectives/contextual factors, possibly including alternative interpretations/deeper meanings.

For comparison, this is what it says about level 4:
At the top of the level, a candidate’s response is likely to be clear,
sustained and consistent. It takes a focused response to the full task which demonstrates clear understanding. It uses a range of references effectively to illustrate and justify explanation; there will be clear explanation of the effects of a range of writer’s methods supported by appropriate use of subject terminology. Clear understanding of ideas/perspectives/contextual factors.

So rather than just clear, consistent analysis, you need to go into more detail about specific language features (relating to both form and structure), integrate your quotes fully into your argument and critically examine different readings of the text and the effects of contextual factors.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (115)
17.61%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (69)
10.57%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (113)
17.3%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (97)
14.85%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.65%
How can I be the best version of myself? (196)
30.02%

Watched Threads