Mothers of TSR-thoughts on your 16 year old daughter having a boyfriend Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
What would be going through your head? Would you think ‘they’re going to have sex’ would you think they’re too young? Would you think it’s okay to bring them to the house straight after telling you? Would you let them sleep over??
Asking from a 16 year old girls perspective, I want a boyfriend but my mum is quite an overprotective person. She always asks who I’m talking to on the phone, who Im going out with and wants to know every detail, and from all my sibling having a boyfriend or talking to a boy is a big thing and makes me get teased. This has stopped me from ever trying to get onto the next level with a boy, and actually makes me feel quite isolated as all my friends have boyfriends, and their mothers are open about them sleeping over, having sex etc. However as I’m the youngest I just get patronised! So mothers, what would be going through your head and would you allow it??
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
What would be going through your head? Would you think ‘they’re going to have sex’ would you think they’re too young? Would you think it’s okay to bring them to the house straight after telling you? Would you let them sleep over??
Asking from a 16 year old girls perspective, I want a boyfriend but my mum is quite an overprotective person. She always asks who I’m talking to on the phone, who Im going out with and wants to know every detail, and from all my sibling having a boyfriend or talking to a boy is a big thing and makes me get teased. This has stopped me from ever trying to get onto the next level with a boy, and actually makes me feel quite isolated as all my friends have boyfriends, and their mothers are open about them sleeping over, having sex etc. However as I’m the youngest I just get patronised! So mothers, what would be going through your head and would you allow it??
Sorry to see that you have not had a response to this.

I am far from being a parent, but I would imagine that..

It's natural for parents to feel protective of their children, especially daughters, when it comes to relationship, no matter the age. They should at some point be told about the relationship as a courtesy, properly meet the parents etc if it's a long term thing. But it is not okay for parents to know every single detail and be controlling.

As long as they are being responsible and it is out of sight (and hence out of mind), for a reasonable parent this might be okay.
Hopefully1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I don't know. If I"m being honest..... I think most parents would have issues with a 16 yo daughter having sex and especially bringing the guy to her house.
Maybe other parents don't mind buy mine would have.

When you go off to uni (or at least of uni age and in a committed long term relationship) it is a little different. When you go to uni you are generally not living at home and parents don't actually know what is going on.

After uni, if you return home parents look at you more as an adult so that is different in finding and having a boyfriend and being accepted by your parents.

It is certainly understandable why you think you'd like to have a boyfriend but, honestly, you have so many wonderful events still to happen in your life there should be a rush to get to sex. Let it happen naturally when the act and the guy is right.

I think you might also find that your friends may not be having the sex they claim they are having. Be patient. When the time is right for you it will happen and as you will seeing reading through TSR it is different for everyone.
JTfoxlove
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
No kids yet.

In the abstract I think I'd be right on.

In your mothers shoes - I'd be protective as all hell. I'd be worried that he'd take advantage and I'd struggle to know if I might get a reputation or into an argument with your boyfriends family if I allowed him to stay over (though from the sounds of things that's a little off).

I'd ask your mum to meet your boyfriend - have him over let things naturally take their course. Have a chat to your mum about how you are feeling and see if a new contract can be agreed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.53%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.64%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.21%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (94)
14.71%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.86%
How can I be the best version of myself? (192)
30.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed