The Student Room Group

Insurance - would you risk it?

Right, so i got my last couple of replies in the last couple of days. All offers:biggrin:
So then I thought I should get round to making my choice. My firm is easy - KCL. But i've got a problem with insurance, can't decide between Queen Mary or Aberdeen, both very different I'm sure you will agree. I want to go to London, but QM's offer is 300 points, basically the same as KCL, except that it's points so I could get ABC rather than BBB, but it is still quite a risk as it is so close (in terms of grades) to my firm. Aberdeen is only CCC, the course looks good, but i don't know if I would really want to be stuck at the top of Scotland for 3/4 years, but at least it would be a uni.

SO what do guys reckon?
Risk having to go to clearing but go for 2 in London, or play it safe but risk having to go to the top of Scotland?
Reply 1
well which uni do you prefer?
Reply 2
Why did you not choose UCL?
Reply 3
I'd put QMUL as your insurance then either way, your in London. Edinburgh is a better option since it is more respected but you haven't mentioned it so im guessing you dont want to go there.
If you want to go to QM more than aberdeen, put QM as your insurance. Never put a uni you arnt 100% sure you want to go to as your insurance. At least your at uni wont keep you happy for 3 years.

I didnt even have an insurance because of this.
Reply 5
h82think
Why did you not choose UCL?

UCL does seem the obvious firm, with KCL as your insurance. Anyway, the people at UCL clearly believe that you can meet their offer, so you should consider being ambitious.

Also, you have to consider how any modules you have done or mock exams have gone: this gives you a good indicator of what it is wise to put as your firm & insurance.

Finally, predicted grades.

At the end of that day, I/we can't make an informed decision: that's up to you. Just sleep on for a bit longer and soon enough everything will become clear...well, the deadline is still a decent way away. :smile:
Reply 6
Well, QMUL is in Extra for Geography, which might mean that it will also be in Clearing, and therefore there is a chance that they might reduce their offer if you don't get the required grades.
I would say that if you really would be happier there than in Scotland, then take the risk. If it all goes totally pear shaped, there are usually decent enough courses in Clearing as a last resort.
Reply 7
I think I will put QM as my insurance, maybe it will scare me to work harder!

I decided against UCL at the open day, I found KCL much more friendly:biggrin: and I just instinctivly felt happier there. Though I sure UCL is great too (Don't tell me about league tables).

I guess clearing would be well... interesting

Thanks again

:tsr2:

Latest

Trending

Trending