Turn on thread page Beta

This is one of the most upsetting things i've heard. People tell me i smell. I brush my teeth once in the morning, i sometimes don't in the evening becasuse i don't have time. I have a shower every evening and have clean clothes and wear deodrant.
    This has made me really self conscious of my breath and smell, i always think i smell. It's lowered my confidence.
    What to do???

ReputationRep:
    Try harder on the hygiene, perhaps. If you're really worried, ask someone you trust, and if they think you smell, go to the doctors?

ReputationRep:
    is it your breath that you think smells or bio odour?

ReputationRep:
    You sound more hygenic than me and I never get told I smell...

ReputationRep:
    Does your deodorant actually work? And are you washing under your arms and then putting on deodorant or just slapping deodorant on over the smell? And if you're female, are you shaving your underarms regularly?

I suggest you upgrade your deodorant to Mitchum if you don't already use it, even if you don't do anything else that will help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    This is one of the most upsetting things i've heard. People tell me i smell. I brush my teeth once in the morning, i sometimes don't in the evening becasuse i don't have time. I have a shower every evening and have clean clothes and wear deodrant.
    This has made me really self conscious of my breath and smell, i always think i smell. It's lowered my confidence.
    What to do???
    I'm sure you have 3 minutes to spare before you go to bed to brush your teeth. And chewing gum? Might sort it.

ReputationRep:
    Have a shower in the morning instead? Then you're cleanest when you had out in the morning, rather than being clean in the evening, sleeping (and potentially getting sweaty etc) then going to school

ReputationRep:
    You should really brush your teeth in the evening aswell...

but apart from that if you're sure your clothes are always clean and you shower daily then maybe you should go to the doctors and see if there's some kind of problem.

ReputationRep:
    Is it your breath?

After you've washed your teeth, rinse with mouthwash afterwards. What's your diet like? If I have a couple of weeks of eating unhealthily my brath becomes awful whereas weeks where I'm drinking my 2 litre of water and fruit, it's fine.

How about always keeping a pack of mints in your bag or something? I always keep deodrant in my bag as well - I'm always a little paranoid I smell. If you change your clothes regularly and shower frequently I'm sure you don't. It's probably just your own paranoia.

ReputationRep:
    It kinda depends on what kind of 'smell' you mean. BO? Bad Breath? etc

Check your toothbrush bristles aren't all splayed out. It's useless if they are.

Do you get quite hot during the day? Are you wearing synthetic fabrics? What about your brand of deodorant etc? Impulse isn't gonna cut it, that's just a fragrance for 13 year olds really. Sure/Right Guard/Mitchum (I think ?) are good antiperspirants.

Showering in the morning really will help. If you don't have time for a full on shower, have a strip wash at the bare minimum!

ReputationRep:
    Find out how & why they think you smell. If it's your breath, brush your teeth AT LEAST twice a day (more often if you eat something smelly / bad for your teeth), and use mouthwash. If it's BO, don't wear clothes made of synthetic crap and get a better deodorant.

ReputationRep:
    It could be your clothes. If you wear man made fibres and dont wash them regularly enough they can hold onto body smells! :eek:

Not that Im saying for a moment this is the case, but its just a suggestion!

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you brush your tongue if you don't already do that. And shower in the mornings in more important than at night. We sweat in the night and BO is stale sweat.

ReputationRep:
    Are your bed sheets cleaned regularly? Maybe try changing your shower to mornings rather than evenings?

My friend who smelled so bad, he showered at least 3 times a day but couldnt get rid of the smell. He cleaned his clothes regulary. He washed his bed sheets once a week..and still couldnt get rid of the smell. He..ahem, does his business onto his bed so I suggested that he stop doing that and wash the actual duvet inside the cover. He didnt smell much anymore after that.

Right, i'm a guy, 17.
    I usually use Lynx antiperspirant for under my arms and use deodrant the rest.
    I have bed sheets changed regularly.
    I just sometimes don't have time in the evening to do my teeth or am just so tired that i would just collapse into the sink.
    I do have a wash in the morning, but this is rushed because i get up so late. My parents wouldn't like it if i had a shower in the moring becuase i would take to long.
    For breakfast i usually am lazy and have a chocolate bar , i know its bad but i'm usually in such a bad mood i need something quick and that will give me a sugar hit.
    I don't eat in school, and don't take mints or chewing gum. I think that after touching something in school it may have germs on it and so i don't want to get these in my mouth and be sick because then i will smell.
    I drink a lot of water and that's about it.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to try and sort it out, try getting up early (mega-early if it keeps the 'rents happier), having a decent shower and proper breakfast (a bad diet will only make things worse - and not eating in school? Your health could be another cause). And brush your teeth at night - being tired is no excuse not to spend a few minutes... falling asleep in the sink is a bit of an exaggeration, methinks. Hell, I've got in at 3 in the morning, still very much drunk and have staggered to the sink just so as not to let those remenants of burger fester away in my mouth for the night
    If you're really that bothered, you'll do everything you can to see if it solves the problem... enough of the half-hearted excuses!

ReputationRep:
    Right, i'm a guy, 17.
    I usually use Lynx antiperspirant for under my arms and use deodrant the rest.
    I have bed sheets changed regularly.
    I just sometimes don't have time in the evening to do my teeth or am just so tired that i would just collapse into the sink.
    I do have a wash in the morning, but this is rushed because i get up so late. My parents wouldn't like it if i had a shower in the moring becuase i would take to long.
    For breakfast i usually am lazy and have a chocolate bar , i know its bad but i'm usually in such a bad mood i need something quick and that will give me a sugar hit.
    I don't eat in school, and don't take mints or chewing gum. I think that after touching something in school it may have germs on it and so i don't want to get these in my mouth and be sick because then i will smell.
    I drink a lot of water and that's about it.
    There are all your problems, deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    1. Lynx is worse than B.O.

2. If you have bad breath, you can't afford not to spend 2 minutes brushing in the evening.

3. Buy some Polos.

ReputationRep:
    My friend who smelled so bad, he showered at least 3 times a day but couldnt get rid of the smell. He cleaned his clothes regulary. He washed his bed sheets once a week..and still couldnt get rid of the smell. He..ahem, does his business onto his bed so I suggested that he stop doing that and wash the actual duvet inside the cover. He didnt smell much anymore after that.
    What the hell. What kind of person does that?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 25, 2008
Poll
Do you have any savings?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.