Blake Jones
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
What's wrong about this statement? It was a multiple choice question and apparently this answer wasn't right but I don't know why...

Light received from the Sun has dark lines across its spectrum which correspond to the absorption of certain wavelengths by atoms in the Earth's atmosphere.

Thanks in advance
m005eman
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
it would be partly due to the atmosphere but more due to the suns outer core's absorption of certain wavelengths, since its core is a black body radiator, and so to get its light to reach the earth, it has to pass through layers of helium, hydrogen and iron -56.

i think thats right, im saying this off the top of my head though
Blake Jones
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by m005eman)
it would be partly due to the atmosphere but more due to the suns outer core's absorption of certain wavelengths, since its core is a black body radiator, and so to get its light to reach the earth, it has to pass through layers of helium, hydrogen and iron -56.

i think thats right, im saying this off the top of my head though
Ah I see, cheers mate
amileman1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Blake Jones)
What's wrong about this statement? It was a multiple choice question and apparently this answer wasn't right but I don't know why...

Light received from the Sun has dark lines across its spectrum which correspond to the absorption of certain wavelengths by atoms in the Earth's atmosphere.

Thanks in advance
As the light enters the Earth's atmosphere it will interact with the most abundant atoms and molecules in the atmosphere (Nitrogen etc..) Which have their own discrete absorption wavelengths
Eimmanuel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Blake Jones)

Thanks in advance
Did you change the statement by leaving out the word "visible"?

(Visible) Light received from the Sun has dark lines across its spectrum which correspond to the absorption of certain wavelengths by atoms in the Earth's atmosphere.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (674)
41.3%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads