Physics A level- Thermodynamics-Internal Energy (Potential energy)

Watch
ndk123
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi! Just wanted some clarification on what potential energy actually is... So molecules have internal energy which is KE and potential energy but what is the potential energy (as in what affects the amount of potential energy that molecules have)?
Ideal gases have no potential and only KE and at 0 Kelvin, molecules have no energy?
Many Thanks!
john_iqbal786
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You are right IE =KE+PE. Gases have the highest internal energy, liquids are lower, solids are even lower. And at 0K internal energy is at a MINIMUM, it it not zero. Because at 0K there is no KE as molecules have stopped moving but there is still electrostatic potential energy between molecules so there is still some internal energy.

As you go from solid to liquid to gas IE increases and so does KE. Remember that the values for PE are negative so when someone says at a gas the. Potential is zero, it's is still higher than in liquid or solid phase. For example, a liquid has - 20J PE, when in its gaseous state, its potential energy (and therefore internal energy) has INCREASED and now is 0
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (27)
5.73%
Uncertainty around my education (53)
11.25%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (56)
11.89%
Lack of purpose or motivation (62)
13.16%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (26)
5.52%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (21)
4.46%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (49)
10.4%
Financial worries (29)
6.16%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (19)
4.03%
Exposure to negative news/social media (31)
6.58%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (14)
2.97%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (46)
9.77%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (38)
8.07%

Watched Threads