The Student Room Group

British Citizenship

I'm a EU national living in the UK since 2007, I was 8 then and now I'm 19. All the qualifications I have are from UK schools. I want to apply for British citizenship after I finish university, and I know that with my degree taught in English I won't have to do the English language test. My problem is the Life in the UK test. I've been living in the UK longer than I've been in my country of origin, so life in the UK is pretty much all I've known. I couldn't find any information about people who have grown up in the UK but are not a citizen having to do this test. By the time I apply I will be living in the UK for 13-14 years. I was wondering if they do exceptions for people like me. I mean, if someone came to the UK from another country as a child and grew up here, they basically have all the values and morals of a British person so it would make sense for them to be exempt from it.
You won't get exemptions from it. I've lived here for 14 years, performed better in English tests/classes than born and bred English kids in my class, have taken GCSEs/A-Levels but they don't look at this. If you want to apply for British citizenship, you will need to pass the Life In the UK test.

Quick Reply

Latest