Turn on thread page Beta

My productive summer bucket list watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone

These are some of the things I am considering to do during the summer holidays.I am currently studying biology,chemistry and maths at a level at GCSE's I have achieved 7A*'s and 3A's.I am an aspiring doctor.I had been wanting to become a doctor for quite some time now I did work experience in haematology and plastic surgery.For me it was the human touch and science combination of medicine that initially drew me to medicine.I volunteer at a care home currently I find it incredibly rewarding.When I volunteer I feel like I can make a difference.

Some of my interests are conservation of the environment and social issues as such.Medicine related things e.g. anatomy,ethical issues etc.
    I am also interested in modern history and I used to learn Mandarin.I am self taught using apps and youtube.I used to attend classes but I felt like it wasn't for me.I cannot write very much characters.I hope to pick it up again soon.My level is simple conversational skills.The medical schools I have been considering to apply to are either

A*AA:Imperial,UCL,King's and Oxford
    AAA:Bristol,South Hamptom,Edinburgh

For now I am planing of taking a gap year and apply after I get my results.I may change my mind and sit the UKCAT,BMAT this year and apply this year instead down the line.I still have time to think it through.Above are universities I would like to go to however if any university accepts me for medicine I will be happy as no matter where I go I will still become a doctor as long as I pass my university exams.

For now I am trying to keep my stress levels to a minimum I have mocks in 3 weeks wish me the best of luck.The piles of work I still need to complete to feel decently prepared feels quite overwhelming sometimes.But do we ever feel truly ready?I mean we could always be more prepared.

I find that aiming to work the hardest you can possible not aiming for a particular grade is much more motivational as the fear of not attaining a certain grade can get in the way of actually doing the work.Speaking from experience I think positivity is the way to go as when you think negatively e.g. I will fail it will not motivate you to study as if something feels unattainable then you think what is the point of trying as I will not succeed anyway.I do wish schools would be more positive as negativity just demotivates students.

Here are just some of my thoughts.

My Bucket list

Reading list

Fiction

-Read Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
    -Read the picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
    -1984 by George Orwell

Non Fiction

-Complications by Atul Gawande
    -How we die by Sherwin Nuland
    -Life at the extremes
    -With the end in mind by Kathryn Mannix
    -In shock by Rana Awdish

Fun activities

-Volunteer at a soup kitchen or do a different charity endevaour
    -Get gelato
    -Bake a cake
    -Go on a very long walk and see how many miles I will manage to walk
    -Visit Bath
    -Visit Edinburgh
    -Visit Edinburgh zoo to see pandas and sun bears
    -Visit Harry Potter world
    -Go to Thorpe park
    -Watch the entire Harry Potter franchise
    -Visit the wellcome collection
    -Visit Bristol
    -Visit the national gallery

-Visit my grandmother (if I manage to renew my passport in time)
    -If I do get to visit my grandmother then the things I will like to do is:
    -Cycling in the forest
    -Go on a trip to a museum
    -Visit other relatives

Mathematics

-Go through pure maths content and practice questions on the following topics

*Algebra i
    *Algebra ii
    *Trigonometry
    *Differentiation
    *Integration
    *Coordinate geometry
    *Graphs and transformations
    *Logs and exponentials
    *Binomial expansion

-Go through Mechanics content

*Kinematics
    *Dynamics

-Go through Statistics content

*Hypothesis testing
    *Probability
    *Collecting and interpreting data

Chemistry

-Energetics

*Hess cycles
    *Calculating energy changes

-Organic

*Alkanes
    *Alkenes
    *Alcohols
    *Halogenoalkanes
    *Mechanisms

-Calculations

*Practice combination questions
    *Titrations

-Inorganic chemistry and periodic table

*Group 7
    *Group 1&2
    *Tests
    *Writing equations

-Bonding structure

*Shape of molecules

-Core practicals

Biology

-Topic 1

*DNA
    *Proteins
    *Carbohydrates
    *Lipids

-Topic 2

*Mitosis
    *Plant reproduction
    *Meiosis
    *Cells

-Topic 3

*Natural selection
    *Biodiversity and methods of conservation
    *Classification

-Topic 4

*Gas exchange
    *Circulatory system
    *Cell transport

Key:
    Green=Complete
    Yellow=In process of doing
    Red=Incomplete due to change in plans or being unable to complete the task

ReputationRep:
    Damn wish I had that much motivation, sounds great good luck
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Woah... That's a very very long bucket list of things to do.
    Good luck!! :rave:

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone

Yesterday I went to get gelato with my friends my favourite flavour is hazelnut and pistachio.We walked around and then had some lunch at her house and we had tea and red bean mochi at my house.We ended up spending the entire day together in the morning I managed to complete half a chemistry practice paper.But had to help my mum with the chores and then I went out with my friend.

Today I feel quite unmotivated woke up quite late around 9:00 and went to bed very late around 1:00 which is a far cry from my intended 8:00 bedtime and 5:00 wake up.Feel quite disappointed in myself.My reason to have such a bedtime and wake up time is at such times everyone is still asleep so I can do my work in a more quiet library and be less distracted.The library is quite far from my house so I study at home.I tried doing 1 Pomodoro it wasn't very successful struggled to even do 5 minutes.Why must our brain be so primitive and always prioritize the short term over the long term?This worked way back then where our only concerns were to survive but now our main problem is how to fluorish in such a complex world not how to just survive.

I quite like chai tea at the moment however I shouldn't be drinking caffeine.Woke up and really wanted one so I made one hopefully will reduce my caffeine intake to what it used to be 1 cup of tea every couple months or weeks.For the past 3 days I have been having tea every day yesterday I had 2 cups.I had toast with kaya spread for breakfast which I know isn't the healthiest should go back to having porridge with soya or rice milk with chia seeds,peanut butter and banana.The stress seems to be making me crave foods that are not that healthy.I know others eat a lot more unhealthy but I have high expectations of myself.

These are just some of my thoughts they are rather silly I guess but I like to say it how it is and not what people want to hear perhaps not a very good trait to have.

ReputationRep:
    Mochi!! :yum:
    OMG KAYA SPREAD!! I haven't had it in ages! :love:
    Don't feel too bad about waking up late. It's half-term so you're allowed to sleep in for at least one day. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nyxnko_)
    Mochi!! :yum:
    OMG KAYA SPREAD!! I haven't had it in ages! :love:
    Don't feel too bad about waking up late. It's half-term so you're allowed to sleep in for at least one day. :yes:
    I got the traditional coconut kaya there was also pandan kaya I wanted to try the pandan one but wasn't sure if it would taste good and could only get one.Did you try the pandan kaya?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    I got the traditional coconut kaya there was also pandan kaya I wanted to try the pandan one but wasn't sure if it would taste good and could only get one.Did you try the pandan kaya?
    I thought the pandan kaya was the traditional one :confused: ... Whatever, they're both good!! :yep: If you do get the chance, try it out as well because it tastes heavenly... It's really sweet though so try not to spread too much of it all at once :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday was a very unproductive day much to my dismay.Today I have a blood test feeling a bit hungry but not allowed to eat as my glucose will be tested.Need to tidy up my desk as it got a bit messy.I would love to say today I will complete revision task x,y and z.However in my mind anyway I always make grand plans but rarely do I actually carry them out.I do those to do lists but rarely stick with them for some reason and I make them very specific e.g. complete chemistry AS specimen practice paper and mark it or complete worksheet on biodiversity but it doesn't seem to work.

Apparently making tasks less overwhelming and having a plan is meant to help.Why must everything be so complex why can't we just do as we plan to do?I know that without working hard I won't get the grades etc but bringing such obvious fact to light doesn't help as I know this every day and it isn't very helpful in my opinion.

I hope I won't have to wait too long in the waiting room as my GP has a reputation for poor punctuality e.g. my appointment is at 11:30 but I wait in the waiting room for 30 minutes despite arriving early 5 minutes let's say.I don't recall ever being seen right away when I should be seen in theory.

But nonetheless, I am grateful for having the NHS despite its flaws which are mainly due to lack of funding they are doing great with what they have.At the end of the day it all comes down to politics.

ReputationRep:
    Got back from my blood test it went ok not as bad as I thought it would be the nurse was very nice.I finally had some breakfast I am not doing well in terms of revision.I know I am the only one who has the power to change this.I need to finish tidying up it is taking much longer than expected.

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday was ok I did practice questions on circulation and a practice maths paper which I nearly completed I know it is not much but something is better than nothing I guess.I am currently eating Weetabix with some milk unfortunately after eating Weetabix for 1-2 weeks straight they begin to taste quite underwhelming there is an evolutionary reason for that it is to ensure to we eat a varied diet so after eating the same thing for some time that thing doesn't taste as good so you will want to eat something else thus achieving a varied diet.This is what I understood from watching a youtube video might be more complex than that in reality.

ReputationRep:
    Right now I am trying the questions I got wrong after doing corrections to see whether I actually understood what I did wrong.Feel agitated need to do chemistry which I am absolutely dreading might make posters for organic digitally and do practice questions and go through specification but we will see.

I read a quote that said the following: do what you have to until you can do what you want.-Oprah Winfrey

It is quite true I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday was ok did a maths practice paper not a lot but it is something I guess.Woke up at 6am quite tired as I went to bed at 11 I was in bed at 9:30 but I couldn't sleep so got up.I am doing practice papers about transformation of graphs and sketching graphs.So far so good need to brush up my knowledge on asymptotes.I bought a stapler yesterday.As I got tired of so many papers laying about and then you end up with half a worksheet not knowing where the other part is.

My one can staple up to 20 pages apparently I wish I got the 50 pages one from Amazon it was on discount so would have ended up paying the same for a slightly better one.But never mind the one I have suits me as it is medium sized,compact, eco-friendly (50% of it is recyclable) and quite light.I tried Alpro ice cream yesterday as it was on discount I tried the hazelnut chocolate it was really good I was worried it might not taste nice as it is made with a milk alternative I find that if my expectations are low they are always exceeded and when they are high I always get disappointed when it comes to food.

There are also ben and jerry vegan ice cream but they cost £5.50 which is quite expensive in my opinion.I am not a vegan however, I do like ot try various different products.

ReputationRep:
    Doing gas exchange questions currently.After I am planning to do equilibrium and kinetics questions as I haven't practiced any in the past.I Woke up very late 10:30 went to bed quite late.Hoping to change my bedtime to waking up early and going to bed early.Struggling to bed through the questions due to motivational issues but need to power through.

The reason many of study related tasks are yellow not green is because I practiced some questions but still not 100% confident on all as there might be some questions that manage to catch me out.Only when I feel like I can do every question on that topic and receive 100% then I will change it to green.

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone

Today I woke up at 4am I am trying to power through exam solutions videos on dynamics struggling with the lift questions should practice questions after I am finished watching all videos on dynamics.I feel really exhausted I was meant to wake up at 5:30 not 4:00 but couldn't fall back asleep.Might go lie down for a bit and hopefully have a nap.I made my to-do list for today here it is:

*Finish watching all exam solutions videos on dynamics
    *Complete dynamics practice paper atleast half of it
    *Mark it
    *Finish gas exchange questions
    *Do cell questions
    *Mark it
    *Practice circulation questions
    *Mark them

My chores:
    *Vaccum the house
    *mop
    *do the dishes
    *Finishing touches

I completed an algebra 1 paper and nearly done with logarithms one of the favourite topics.Really struggling with dynamics.The reason I did maths is because I didn't want to do physics and now it feels like I am doing physics .Mocks in 1 week.Will probably not do that well especially in chemistry. :sadpanda::sad:.Dreading exams.

ReputationRep:
    Go to bed early tonight and catch up on that sleep :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday wasn't that great.Today woke up had porridge with rice milk,strawberries and dates it was quite filling and good.Doing a chemistry past paper.Why is it so hard to do hard things and persevere?It is such a mental struggle but I know I need to power through.I think I should stick to just practicing papers for chemistry and biology I am doing so already for maths.Need to still find out what days exactly each exam is I thought couple days ago it was in 2 weeks time but it is next week.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yesterday wasn't that great.Today woke up had porridge with rice milk,strawberries and dates it was quite filling and good.Doing a chemistry past paper.Why is it so hard to do hard things and persevere?It is such a mental struggle but I know I need to power through.I think I should stick to just practicing papers for chemistry and biology I am doing so already for maths.Need to still find out what days exactly each exam is I thought couple days ago it was in 2 weeks time but it is next week.
    Keep going! You are nearly there

ReputationRep:
    These are just some of my thoughts they are rather silly I guess but I like to say it how it is and not what people want to hear perhaps not a very good trait to have.
    Although this trait is poor for initial meetings or professional situations.. :rofl: ....

this is the single BEST quality is my opinion overall - theres so much random/manipulative BS in this world and its tiring to fake laugh/fake agree/hop on the damn hype train every stop it takes - never change that part, it took me ages to know that BEING REAL with yourself and the world is the best thing for everyone and yourself , I wish you good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Had chemistry and pure maths mock yesterday went ok.Had mechanics+statistics today went terribly.But at least it is not the real thing.There is nothing I could have done to change what happened all I can do is use this to learn from and make sure that for the real thing it will go well.I wasn't very well prepared at all to be honest and had to teach myself mechanics and didn't finish learning it all.I think the questions were written by the head of maths as the questions looked nothing like the typical edexcel stuff.All I can do is prepare for biology for tomorrow.

I feel more confident about biology but then again to be honest it is luck. Because if you know a lot about circulation and not very much on genetics and lots of things on circulation come up and few on genetics then you will do better than if it was the other way around.I need to look over topic 3 to ensure I word the answers well as my problem with topic 3 is that I waffle a lot struggling to get to the point or not write everything that is needed to get all the marks.

Need to also go through protein synthesis and electroconductivity of the heart.Will make a list in my planner I hope I will follow through.

Not going to stress hopefully as the only thing I can do now is try my absolute best and go through some topics to polish up my knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    Came back from the shop thought of getting some snacks.To be honest I thought they didn't taste nowhere as good as I remembered them to be.In the end the best snacks are fruit.Feel rather disappointed should have bought dates,black grapes or strawberries instead.Junk food never tastes as good as you imagine it to be or remember it to be and instead of boosting your mood you feel worse than you did at the beginning.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.