Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been considering studying political science at SOAS and something that'd really make a difference in taking this decision is the LGBTQ life at SOAS. I'm openly gay and although not the "stereotypical" gay I'd still like to be open to my friends about it and perhaps find someone... So basically are there many gay guys at the uni and are students tolerant of it as a whole?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaBlaine)
    I've been considering studying political science at SOAS and something that'd really make a difference in taking this decision is the LGBTQ life at SOAS. I'm openly gay and although not the "stereotypical" gay I'd still like to be open to my friends about it and perhaps find someone... So basically are there many gay guys at the uni and are students tolerant of it as a whole?
    Hey, I'm at SOAS right now and honestly everyone is really open minded you really shouldn't have any problems. I don't know about the quantity of gay guys but we have some societies that are LGBTQ focused that put on various different kinds of events (more serious and then more let your hair down) so you're sure to interact with a lot of different people that way.

ReputationRep:
    The LGBT life at SOAS is actually nice, there's quite a few societies that focus on social life and issues on campus. Also, if you don't like what SOAS has to offer in terms of gay things, London always something to offer.

Also, SOAS is very accepting and it's amazing - we have a Gender officer, and LGBT+ officer, a Drag and an LGBT+ society, etc, and really, everyone at SOAS is accepting of things in general.

ReputationRep:
    So, our LGBTQ society is lacking (we had like, one? bar crawl at the beginning of the year and i havent seen them since- which is fine bc the courses are keeping everyone busy?) however most people are pretty open and actually quite a considerable amount of my friends from all faculties are actually bi/pan. I kept quiet myself but once you speak up about your sexuality theres a chorus of others coming out. There was a few people who seemed adverse but it was more like they were surprised. I think most people know what theyre signing up to when they come to soas, which is a "super progressive" liberal feel.

the Drag Society is a hoot though, definitely go even just to watch.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

Articles:

SOAS Guide

Featured accommodation profiles:

Scape Student Living

Scape Student Living

"Brand new super studios at Scape Shoreditch, three minutes away from Old Street station!"

Quick links:

Unanswered SOAS ThreadsFind out what student life in London is really like in students' own wordsStalking pages becomes University Connect, connect to other SOAS applicants now!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.