The Student Room Group

IAL Physics Unit 5 June 2018

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Profane
Unless it's told or implied, 3 s.f. will be sufficient. If the question has asked to or implied to leave a particular answer in a specifc s.f. and if you don't do so, you will lose marks.

what exactly do you mean by implied?
Reply 41
Original post by kunalkishanmehta
what exactly do you mean by implied?

This is more of a thing for unit 6. Say if you had a table of data with all the data at 3 decimal points. If you had to do some calculation and obtain a value, it's best if you leave the answer to 3 decimal points too. This is a standard practice in physics, to keep the degree of significance of data proper.

Leaving your answer to 3 sf when the degree of significance is implied doesn't really make you lose marks in Unit 4 and 5. It's strict in unit 6.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Profane
This is more of a thing for unit 6. Say if you had a table of data with all the data at 3 decimal points. If you had to do some calculation and obtain a value, it's best if you leave the answer to 3 decimal points too. This is a standard practice in physics, to keep the degree of significance of data proper.

Leaving your answer to 3 sf when the degree of significance is implied doesn't really make you lose marks in Unit 4 and 5. It's strict in unit 6.

Oh alright makes sense. Thanks.
Original post by Profane

Do you feel prepared for the exam? How well have you been scoring in your mocks if you don't mind me asking?
(edited 5 years ago)
Okay so guys , how do the fission reaction leads to large output of energy
Original post by Black.Panther00

In fission large unstable nuclei split into smaller stable daughter nuclei .
This means that the overall binding energy per nucleon has increased (as the daughter nuclei are more stable so require more energy to be broken down) .This means that there is a mass deficit and there energy is released in the process as E=mc^2

Thats about it really
Reply 46
Can anyone explain why the answer is C?:s-smilie:

There is an mass defect. This mass is converted to energy using the relationship E=mc^2 where m is the mass defect
Original post by pearl02
Can anyone explain why the answer is C?:s-smilie:

mean square speed is proportional to temperature
1/2 m <c^2>= 3/2 kT
How does an increase in temperature lead to an increase in relative intensity
Original post by unknown2914
How does an increase in temperature lead to an increase in relative intensity

temperature causes energy to increase and as energy increases power (which is the rate of energy increases) and power = Intensity/area hence intensity increases.
Original post by MclarenP1
In fission large unstable nuclei split into smaller stable daughter nuclei .
This means that the overall binding energy per nucleon has increased (as the daughter nuclei are more stable so require more energy to be broken down) .This means that there is a mass deficit and there energy is released in the process as E=mc^2

Thats about it really

Original post by unknown2914
There is an mass defect. This mass is converted to energy using the relationship E=mc^2 where m is the mass defect

which is correct??
what is the difference between random and spontaneous decay?
which is correct??

The answers are the same my friend I've just explained the process as well.
Reply 54
mean square speed is proportional to temperature
1/2 m <c^2>= 3/2 kT

I feel like such an idiot... I was squaring the mean square speed... :colonhash:
Thank you so much:smile:
Original post by MclarenP1
temperature causes energy to increase and as energy increases power (which is the rate of energy increases) and power = Intensity/area hence intensity increases.

Thanks
what is the difference between random and spontaneous decay?

I always get confused in their definition
the E total = 1/2 x m x A^2 x Omega ^ 2?
do more massive stars stay in main sequence for longer then Low massive stars?
I always get confused in their definition

Random - we do not know when the nuclei will decay next

Spontaneous - We cannot influence the decay to take place

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending