The Student Room Group

[Exam Jam]History - All Day revision (3rd June)

TSR EXAM JAM - History (3rd June):

TSR is doing EXAM JAM all half term and today's focus is on History :work:

The History exam jam is for all students, both GCSE and A-Level

For today, we'll be using this thread as an all day revision thread. The idea is that you post your start time, when you plan to finish your study session, and what you want to achieve in that time (e.g. 10:00-10:45 - Revise Suez Crisis). Once the time's up, you can come back, tell everyone how you got on and take a well earned break

We won't be running sessions at set times, so you can structure your study day to whatever works best for you, and though it's an all day revision thread, there's no expectation to study all day. It's important to make sure you are taking breaks and enjoying some of the nice weather too, since it is a holiday after all

If you get stuck with a past paper question when you're revising, or there's that one topic you really just can't get your head around, you can post your questions in this thread for other students to answer Explaining things to others can be really beneficial to your own understanding too

Key Dates (GCSE):
4th June - Paper 1, Understanding the Modern World (AQA)/ Paper 1, Thematic Study and Historic Environment (EDEXCEL)/ History A, Period Study with Non-British Depth Study (OCR)/ History B, History Around Us (OCR)/ History Unit 1 Legacy (WJEC)/ History Component 1 New (WJEC)
8th June - Paper 2, Shaping the Nation (AQA)/ Paper 2, Period Study and British Depth Study (EDEXCEL)/ History A, Thematic Study (OCR)/ History B, British History - Thematic Study and Depth Study (OCR)/ History Unit 2 Legacy (WJEC)/ History Component 2 (WJEC)
12th June - Paper 3, Modern Depth Study (EDEXCEL)/ British Depth Study with a study of the Historic Environment (OCR)/ History B, World History - Period Study and Depth Study (OCR)/ History Unit 3 Legacy (WJEC)/ History Component 3 (WJEC)

Key Dates (A2):
6th June - Paper 1, Breadth Study (1A-L) (AQA)/ History Paper 1, Breadth Study with Interpretations (EDEXCEL)/ Thematic Study and Historical Interpretations (unit group 3) (OCR)/ History Unit 3 (1-10) (WJEC)
13th June - Paper 2, Depth Study (2A-T) (AQA)/ History Paper 2, Depth Study (EDEXCEL)/ British Period and Enquiry (unit group 1) (OCR)/ History Unit 4 (1-8) (WJEC)
19th June- History Paper 3, Themes in Breadth with Aspects in Depth (EDEXCEL)/ Non-British Period Study (unit group 2) (OCR)

Which exam have you been revising for?
How are you finding it?
What period of history have you been studying?
What topics are you struggling with?
What topics are you strongest on?

Find other history exam jam threads here:
-History Meme thread
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I will be around for all this as well! I know my Soviet, US and Chinese history pretty well if anyone is studying anything around that :smile:
oooh I’ll be doing some medicine through time from 3-4 (not sure why I’m posting this now but I guess it’ll make me do it:dontknow:)
Original post by Evil Homer
I will be around for all this as well! I know my Soviet, US and Chinese history pretty well if anyone is studying anything around that :smile:

uGh now I want to do Cold War revision instead:sadnod:
Medicine Through Time n Elizabethan England all day sweattttttt

Hi! I am studying US Civil Rights and was wondering if you had any advice/resources that could help? Thanks!
Original post by 10oba-abbad
Medicine Through Time n Elizabethan England all day sweattttttt

getting ready for tomorrow?:eek3:
Original post by musicangel
Hi! I am studying US Civil Rights and was wondering if you had any advice/resources that could help? Thanks!

What level and exam board are you studying with?
Reply 8

I'm studying Civil Rights in the USA, 1865-1992 for OCR?
Any tips for prep a day or two before the exam?
Specifically with essay writing and sources?
Reply 9
Original post by ShazBe
I'm studying Civil Rights in the USA, 1865-1992 for OCR?
Any tips for prep a day or two before the exam?
Specifically with essay writing and sources?

Is this for A-Level History on OCR?

Essay Writing
- I usually do a quick plan with an Intro (2-3 sentences forming your line of argument), Paragraphs 1-4 (1-2 sentences building on from your line of argument with different factors/points)

Sources
- I usually quickly go over the sources and then do a quick Intro (2-3 sentences forming your line of argument), Sources A etc. (1-2 sentences expanding on line of argument - does the source support the argument of the question)
Reply 10
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Is this for A-Level History on OCR?

Essay Writing
- I usually do a quick plan with an Intro (2-3 sentences forming your line of argument), Paragraphs 1-4 (1-2 sentences building on from your line of argument with different factors/points)

Sources
- I usually quickly go over the sources and then do a quick Intro (2-3 sentences forming your line of argument), Sources A etc. (1-2 sentences expanding on line of argument - does the source support the argument of the question)

Thank you for the quick reply!
I'll practice these tips.
What level and exam board are you studying with?

Hi, I am studying for OCR A-Level
Reply 12
Hi, I am studying for OCR A-Level

What topics do you do and what do you need help with?
What topics do you do and what do you need help with?

I'm really struggling with trade unions and grasping the content for some reason and also the interpretation question. I worried about not being able to learn all of the info for the 12 options that could come up and also in general how to structure/approach the interpretations.
Thanks
Reply 14
I'm really struggling with trade unions and grasping the content for some reason and also the interpretation question. I worried about not being able to learn all of the info for the 12 options that could come up and also in general how to structure/approach the interpretations.
Thanks

Trade Unions? Are you referring to Britain 1930-1997? That's quite vague...
Trade Unions? Are you referring to Britain 1930-1997? That's quite vague...

Sorry, no - Trade Unions and labour rights for US civil rights (1865-1992)
In general, I think I am most concerned about the interpretations questions (2 different interpretations on 1 of 12 topics and we have to argue which is most convincing.)
Reply 16
Sorry, no - Trade Unions and labour rights for US civil rights (1865-1992)
In general, I think I am most concerned about the interpretations questions (2 different interpretations on 1 of 12 topics and we have to argue which is most convincing.)

Ah Y319 according to the specification.

I haven't done interpretations yet as I'm currently in Year 12. I would refer to
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/373399-guide-to-assessment-for-a-level-history-units-1-2-and-3-.pdf which is a useful guide giving you exam board specific advice about how you can approach certain questions and what they expect. Hope that helps. :smile:
Ah Y319 according to the specification.

I haven't done interpretations yet as I'm currently in Year 12. I would refer to
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/373399-guide-to-assessment-for-a-level-history-units-1-2-and-3-.pdf which is a useful guide giving you exam board specific advice about how you can approach certain questions and what they expect. Hope that helps. :smile:

Perfect, thanks!
Reply 18
Perfect, thanks!

You're welcome. :smile:
Original post by Toastiekid
getting ready for tomorrow?:eek3:

Yeah bro wbu?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending