The Student Room Group

Applying to Msc in Marketing (Warwick, Manchester, Imperial)

Hey Everyone!

So, I'm a Canadian student, interested in pursuing a Msc in Marketing at a UK University. I really want to attend a top school (like warwick, Manchester, imperial) but I'm really not sure about my profile.

My profile: I go to a University ranked within the top 300 in the world. With regards to my GPA, I will most likely end with a 3.3/4.0, which is right on the upper second class mark. However, the only year I did bad on was my first (where I got a third class) and every year after that has been First Class to high Upper Second. I also have 2 recommendations from tenured associate professors. Also, a ton of pre-graduate work experience, I had a part-time marketing job in the Fall and winters, and worked Full-Time in the summers (all at billion dollar corporations).

If you've been through this process I would very much appreciate some advice!
Original post by legion123
Hey Everyone!

So, I'm a Canadian student, interested in pursuing a Msc in Marketing at a UK University. I really want to attend a top school (like warwick, Manchester, imperial) but I'm really not sure about my profile.

My profile: I go to a University ranked within the top 300 in the world. With regards to my GPA, I will most likely end with a 3.3/4.0, which is right on the upper second class mark. However, the only year I did bad on was my first (where I got a third class) and every year after that has been First Class to high Upper Second. I also have 2 recommendations from tenured associate professors. Also, a ton of pre-graduate work experience, I had a part-time marketing job in the Fall and winters, and worked Full-Time in the summers (all at billion dollar corporations).

If you've been through this process I would very much appreciate some advice!

You need to check that you meet the entry requirements and apply. Not much else to it.
Reply 2
What is your major in Canada? Have you taken the GMAT to strengthen your profile?

Imperial, MBS and WBS are solid Marketing programmes.
Reply 3
Original post by Tcannon
What is your major in Canada? Have you taken the GMAT to strengthen your profile?

Imperial, MBS and WBS are solid Marketing programmes.

I'm taking an Honours Bachelor of Commerce majoring in Marketing Management. I haven't taken the GMAT and I don't think I'll be able to. I'm on track to graduating a year early, so I will be completing a 4-year degree in 3 years, and with the amount of time I spend on extracurriculars and work experiences, I really don't have the time to study for it.
Reply 4
It also depends on the pool of applicants and your relative strength to your peers. Positives: Work exp. in marketing and I assume you can communicate your interest in your personal statement. Being from Canada helps as UK B-schools don't receive many applications from North America (many from China and India) and would welcome more Canadian students to diversify class. Early degree completion ahead of time. Better submit soon as you are relatively late in the application cycle.Good selection and good luck.
Reply 5
Original post by Tcannon
It also depends on the pool of applicants and your relative strength to your peers. Positives: Work exp. in marketing and I assume you can communicate your interest in your personal statement. Being from Canada helps as UK B-schools don't receive many applications from North America (many from China and India) and would welcome more Canadian students to diversify class. Early degree completion ahead of time. Better submit soon as you are relatively late in the application cycle.Good selection and good luck.

I'm actually applying for class of 2020, so I'll definitely apply in September (which is the soonest for most programs). I really appreciate your comments, this is very reassuring!
Reply 6
Original post by legion123
I'm actually applying for class of 2020, so I'll definitely apply in September (which is the soonest for most programs). I really appreciate your comments, this is very reassuring!

For 2020, you have plenty time. Final advice: Try to figure out the relative strength of each programme and communicate why this appeals to you: Research labs, many electives, teaching methods (case, group projects, data analytics is a hot topic). Some programmes have graded marketing projects with local firms aka capstone. Explain mitigating circumstances of cramming 4 yr course into 3 year and hence of 3.3 GPA, put 3.3 into context.
Buddy...you better apply for Trinity, UCD and Glasgow. You're missing out on one of the bests! Goodluck

Also, I have an unconditional for Msc International Marketing from Strathclyde. Is it worth going? How is the repute and employability?
Moreover, I am yet to hear from Glasgow, Birmingham and UCD. What's the best bet? Need some help with this...

Quick Reply