Family behaviour Watch

Salmon
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
My boyfriends parents bought a teddy a few years ago and now his parents, him and his sister treat it likes it real. I know it sounds like harmless fun but I find it disturbing cos they have spent loads on outfits for this teddy, talk to it and buy cards and presents from it. Obviously his friends don't know cos they would take the mick. I am a bit worried bout my boyfriend incase he is unhappy and looking for comfort from a teddy or is getting paternal. I feel sorry for him cos his rents treat him like dirt, give their orders out to my bf and seem more concerned for this teddy. Anyone see the normal side to this?
Custer
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No normal side here, these people are brain dead, dont worry about it - you cant help them, just let them be.
Bubblebee
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Woah, that sounds strange. How did they explain the teddy to you if you don't mind me asking?
amy.dd
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't see any normal side. Have you spoken to your boyfriend about it?

Personally I would of mentioned something or run for the hills straight away. Or at night take the bear, then cut it up and send small pieces of it back to his family in the post.

They may call the police though.
Salmon
(Original post by Bubblebee)
Woah, that sounds strange. How did they explain the teddy to you if you don't mind me asking?
The scary thing is I have heard my bf and his mom talk like babies to it! Dunno how it come about but my bf talks bout it like its normal.
lolilady---O
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Wrong for so many reasons. How can they treat a teddy like it's more important than their own son:confused:
amy.dd
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Has he ever shown weird behaviour before? How did he react to his parents treating it like normal? Did he think it was weird at first and then play along? Has he mentioned it? Or does it seem like he completely has faith in the fact that this bear is real? Poor you, honestly!
Salmon
(Original post by amy.dd)
Has he ever shown weird behaviour before? How did he react to his parents treating it like normal? Did he think it was weird at first and then play along? Has he mentioned it? Or does it seem like he completely has faith in the fact that this bear is real? Poor you, honestly!
Nah, he seemed very normal yet if I make an silly comment I am the one who is strange. I think he plays along to keep them happy but it seems he is starting to believe it
Cynicism 101
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Okay, it's awful of me to just start laughing..but teddy?
Either your bf has serious issues with each other, or the teddy reminds them of some traumatic event, or they're just crazy..
crema
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Cynicism 101)
Okay, it's awful of me to just start laughing..but teddy?
Either your bf has serious issues with each other, or the teddy reminds them of some traumatic event, or they're just crazy..
This is what I would have thought... Maybe their baby died / they had a miscarriage etc. I was living in a family once where they had lost the youngest one, and the mom had a little shrine for her son with his picture. She used put a plate of food every meal for him, and he obviously got birthday cards, Xmas-presents etc. It was quite sad really. I can't remember her talking to him ever, but maybe she did it when I wasn't there.
Anonymous #2
Report 10 years ago
Well my dad has this thing with teddy too!!! It drives my mum, me and my brother crazy but he almost treats it as if it was real. I mean he doesn't buy gifts for it but I does have an outfit and when its hat got lost my dad found the same one on ebay and bought it!

He has to have it in bed with him and makes my mum hug it. NOT NORMAL
evil groove
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Blimey. If they're all entirely serious about the teddy then imo you should reconsider the relationship.
Vampyrcorn
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
no... no normal side to this one. :p:
Tera
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Haaahahah! brilliant!

I'd get involved but in a perverse way, put its hands down its pants with a picture of his mum resting near it!

If you get in serial trouble for it... you know it's just too weird.
Salmon
Last night I could hear his mom and sister talking to the teddy in a baby voice going '1,2,3 wee' and screaming with joy. My boyfriend said yesterday I didn't talk to teddy when he came on the phone the other night, I just made an excuse up as I din't want to be an idiot talking to some material. I have spoken to my mom and she is very concerned and suspects my boyfriend might be trying to get rid of me and may be using the teddy to do this, I don't see him much either. I know that if he wanted rid of me though he would just say. I don't mind novelty as it wears off but this is borderline obsession and mentally unstable.
Tera
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How long has teddy been a family member? Ask some questions and you'll soon find out what happened to make them so obsessive and strange.

My money's riding on a miscarriage or the death of a child.
Salmon
(Original post by Tera)
How long has teddy been a family member? Ask some questions and you'll soon find out what happened to make them so obsessive and strange.

My money's riding on a miscarriage or the death of a child.
Its so hard cos I know my boyfriend might think I was being nosey or insulting so I don't know how to bring up the subject of a miscarriage. This teddy has been there for 2 years, we've been going out for 3 and a half years.
sooty1230
Report 10 years ago
Ha,Ha,Ha........................ ..yeah, right!
Tera
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Salmon)
Its so hard cos I know my boyfriend might think I was being nosey or insulting so I don't know how to bring up the subject of a miscarriage. This teddy has been there for 2 years, we've been going out for 3 and a half years.
Can you not think of anything major that happened 2 or so years ago? Perhaps it happened before you. Hm, I'd definitely fish, you can pretend it's you taking an interest in teddy.
Salmon
(Original post by Tera)
Can you not think of anything major that happened 2 or so years ago? Perhaps it happened before you. Hm, I'd definitely fish, you can pretend it's you taking an interest in teddy.
His sister moved out of the country for a year which they didn't see her for, so maybe the mum thought she would find a replacement - the mom and sister always had rows and the sister left on a bad note when she moved. She is back now so you would think they would have stopped! I'm just going to ignore it cos if its their way of getting rid of me they can think again.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (169)
18.59%
No (554)
60.95%
Not really bothered about them (186)
20.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed