The Student Room Group

Loughborough vs Sussex - Design course, which one!!!

Got all my offers now from UCAS to do various design degrees (mostly Product Design) - Aston - BBC, Brunel - BBC, Bournemouth - Withdrawn, Loughborough - BBC, Sussex - ABB. Narrowed this down to Loughborough or Sussex, but can not decide which one. If I put Loughborough down as firm choice obviously it'll be there or bust but will put Brunel as insurance for sake of it. If I put Sussex down as firm choice, Loughborough will be insurance.

My "background": go to grammar school in Surrey, currently doing PE (grade D AS level, predicted B), Psychology (grade B AS level, predicted B) and DT Graphics (grade B AS Level, predicted A) at A2 after dropping Biology at AS (got grade C). Redoing PE in summer.

At Loughborough I will be doing "Industrial Design and Technology BA (4 year SW)" and at Sussex I will be doing Product Design BSc (Sandwich) (4 years).
Course-wise, Loughborough is the more reputable Uni for design and engineering. However, Sussex is a BSc course, so does that look better on a CV? I have been to both Universities and loved them both. Each have their own strengths. I thought the Loughborough campus was slightly better. The main strength Loughborough obviously has is its sporting facilities which I would use. However, Sussex's sporting facilities were good too, so maybe Loughborough superiority would only be beneficial if I was doing Sports Science?

In my opinion, Sussex is located much better, just outside Brighton and the coast. Also this leads me to believe that the social and night-life is overall better than Loughborough's? Loughborough only has the small town Loughborough nearby (which I heard isn't good from one source but is good from another) or Leicester and Nottingham 30min train journeys away.

Just wondering if anyone can give me some guidance, what would they do etc... Also, any current students tell me what the course/uni (and surrounding areas) are like?
Reply 1
Hey there, i have looked at both universities too and i must say that i preferred Sussex. Although you are right L'bro is better for teaching, your courses sound very different to each other so if i were you i would look over the content of each of the 2courses again,and decided which one you really do prefer.
Then compromise and agree with the location which ever one it is because either way, university is university and you will have a flipping awesome time!

i have applied for media studies and communication studies at L'bro but media studies single honours at Sussex and i think i will put Sussex as my first choice... Sussex is much better for resources too and has a larger department, especially for art, design and media, so yeah..come to sussex!!!! x
Reply 2
o and if u dont mind me asking, why did you withdraw from Bournmouth uni?
Reply 3
I got my offer for Loughborough Industrial design and technology (4yr) today too. I reckon the place looks pretty good, especially the fact that the course is accredited by the Institution of Engineering Designers.
Reply 4
loughborough!!

of course.....try to find out those design competition result....all the time loughb'............

as RSA, NEW DESIGNER(the design olympic in uk), if u really seriously want to have a better start up in design field , loughb' is a must not only working in uk but overseas also lot of people heard of it.

and brunnel also is a good choice for product design. they win lot of award too.

so why on earth u choose sussex.....have u really talk to those who work in the design field not the engine field!!!!!!! although they have a nice beach and night life.:biggrin:
Reply 5
MaddiaX
o and if u dont mind me asking, why did you withdraw from Bournmouth uni?

Just because they would have given me the same offer as L'brough of BCC and I knew already that I'd rather pick there than Bournemouth so I did't see the point of attending the interview.
Reply 6
I applied for product design and technology at loughborough, i was interviews in december 2008, and the interviewer told me there and then he would make me an offer. when do you think i will recieve it on ucas? Any suggestions?
Reply 7
bcji
I applied for product design and technology at loughborough, i was interviews in december 2008, and the interviewer told me there and then he would make me an offer. when do you think i will recieve it on ucas? Any suggestions?

You will probably get a welcome pack first - I got mine before I knew my status had changed on ucas.

Latest