The Student Room Group

C2, C3 trig questions.

Hi,

For Edexcel C2, C3 questions sometimes they say in brackets "solutions based entirely on graphical or numerical methods are not acceptable". Can you still draw the graph of the trig function / CAST (quadrant) diagram, and base your solutions off of this?

Thank you!
Original post by 020200
Hi,

For Edexcel C2, C3 questions sometimes they say in brackets "solutions based entirely on graphical or numerical methods are not acceptable". Can you still draw the graph of the trig function / CAST (quadrant) diagram, and base your solutions off of this?

Thank you!

Yeah it's fine as long as you show some working out or thought process. What they mean is that they won't accept any answers that involve graphs being drawn to scale and working it out manually using only the graph.
Reply 2
Hi,

Thanks! For example, in our C2 exam on Wednesday, the first trig question involved cosine and the questions said solutions based entirely on graphical methods... not acceptable.

This was how the unofficial mark scheme did it. Obviously I drew the graph of the function and then got my solutions and subtracted 70. Is this okay?
Reply 3
Also, for the next trig question we had to rearrange the equation to make sin the subject and then solve for theta. I drew the graph afterwards and got my solutions from this. Obviously since I had to solve rearrange a trig equation and solve for sin would my solutions still be valid? This is how the unofficial mark scheme did it. I did it the exact same way in terms of rearranging but then drew the sin curve to obtain my solutions... Sorry for waffling!
Original post by 020200
Hi,

Thanks! For example, in our C2 exam on Wednesday, the first trig question involved cosine and the questions said solutions based entirely on graphical methods... not acceptable.

This was how the unofficial mark scheme did it. Obviously I drew the graph of the function and then got my solutions and subtracted 70. Is this okay?

This seems fine. As long as you SKETCHED the graph of the curve (to give a general idea), then you should get the mark. If you got the values directly from the graph (using a scale etc), then it wouldn't be acceptable.
Original post by 020200
Also, for the next trig question we had to rearrange the equation to make sin the subject and then solve for theta. I drew the graph afterwards and got my solutions from this. Obviously since I had to solve rearrange a trig equation and solve for sin would my solutions still be valid? This is how the unofficial mark scheme did it. I did it the exact same way in terms of rearranging but then drew the sin curve to obtain my solutions... Sorry for waffling!

This seems fine, again as long as you SKETCHED the graph and showed that you used a mathematical method for the answer (like here).

To obtain the first equation, I'm sure you used a calculator. The other solutions can be found by using a sketch of the graph of CAST.

Quick Reply

Latest