Maths AQA 2018 GCSE NO EQUATIONS GIVEN?! Watch

AelinSardothein
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Why were there NO equations given in the maths gcse 2018 aqa when on the website it says it does give a few and even in the CGP maths revision guide it says we get those certain equations - however in paper 1 ive done i didn't get it
Notnek
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by AelinSardothein)
Why were there NO equations given in the maths gcse 2018 aqa when on the website it says it does give a few and even in the CGP maths revision guide it says we get those certain equations - however in paper 1 ive done i didn't get it
Where does it say this? You get no formulae nowadays in GCSE maths exams.
AelinSardothein
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notnek)
Where does it say this? You get no formulae nowadays in GCSE maths exams.
On the AQA SPEC

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathe...tical-formulae

part 3

scroll down and it gives a list of a few that you get
and the ones you don't
so i didn't revise the ones they said we would get

also in the cgp revision guide on the back cover on the inside it says the ones we get and the ones we dont and the book is for the 9-1 gcse
Notnek
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
If you read the top it says these are formulae that you need to learn and they’re not given in the exam.
AelinSardothein
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notnek)
If you read the top it says these are formulae that you need to learn and they’re not given in the exam.
yh but scroll down to part 3 and it says students are not expected to learn the following - these will be given

yet they weren't
PrazzPrazz
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
none of the exam boards get equations anymore u meant to recal them the exams now prepare u better than students before
AelinSardothein
Rep:
?
(Original post by PrazzPrazz)
none of the exam boards get equations anymore u meant to recal them the exams now prepare u better than students before
in the spec it says we get some
Notnek
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
yh but scroll down to part 3 and it says students are not expected to learn the following - these will be given

yet they weren't
For these formulae, if a formula is needed in a particular question then that formula will be given to you in that question.
PrazzPrazz
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
in the spec it says we get some
u probably didnt need them in the test u had then?
peeked
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
They do give you them, it’s just that they give you them when you get to the question. So for example one of the given formulas is the formula for the volume of a sphere and if you needed that for a question it would tell you in the question and give you the formula for it, there was no missing formulas for the AQA paper 1 non calculator paper
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
PrazzPrazz
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
best to ask on the thread of the unofficial mark scheme
Student303.1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
They only give you the formulas if on a question, they don’t have a insert with all of them on. If you need them They will give you it in the question. Some equations such as the quadratic one you need to know thought and the trig and cos/sine rules.
gurlll
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
no you do get the formulas they said they'll give you but it will be on the actual question but in paper 1 there wasn't a question in which you needed any of the equations
AelinSardothein
Rep:
?
(Original post by gurlll)
no you do get the formulas they said they'll give you but it will be on the actual question but in paper 1 there wasn't a question in which you needed any of the equations
oh right thank you so much! got a bit worried

BUT say if you had another method for approaching a question that needed an equation that should have been there - what then?
AelinSardothein
Rep:
?
Thank you to everyone!
gurlll
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
oh right thank you so much! got a bit worried

BUT say if you had another method for approaching a question that needed an equation that should have been there - what then?
If they are supposed to give the equation they will give the equation don't worry but if you approach a question and you need the equation then you should probably learn it because they won't give you it unless they expect you to use it
AelinSardothein
Rep:
?
(Original post by gurlll)
If they are supposed to give the equation they will give the equation don't worry but if you approach a question and you need the equation then you should probably learn it because they won't give you it unless they expect you to use it
Oh okay thank you!
(e^iπ+1)^-1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Perhaps in the question they give you the formula. For example in my OCR chemistry exam they gave us the formula for atom economy and concentration under the question. I sat AQA paper 1 and all the formulae required for the questions arwnt difficult.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
AelinSardothein
Rep:
?
(Original post by (e^iπ+1)^-1)
Perhaps in the question they give you the formula. For example in my OCR chemistry exam they gave us the formula for atom economy and concentration under the question. I sat AQA paper 1 and all the formulae required for the questions arwnt difficult.
Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.92%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.46%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (94)
17.87%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (76)
14.45%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.27%
How can I be the best version of myself? (158)
30.04%

Watched Threads